What's new
What's new

Deckel Dialog 4 Monitor vertical deflection dead

Neeroy

Plastic
Hello everyone,

seems like the new year brings me new Problems :(

After starting up my FP2NC yesterday morning the CRT just shows a line.
IMG-20190104-WA0000.jpg
This is one of these unexpected overnight problems...
The line "matches" the set machine mode and I can jog the Axis, run the Spindle and change Tool.

For me this indicated a failure of the CRT itself or a bad CRT controller board.
I ruled the CRT out, using a cheapo DSO Oscilloskope. There was no measurable Signal on the vertical deflection grid.

According to the schematic of the NDM51 Board the vertical deflection is controlled by a single TDA1170 chip with a ELCO in the output signal line.

I will now change the TDA and some of the electrolytic caps on the board.
If this measures doesn't work, I probably will have to bite the bullet and buy a replacement NPM51 Board or swap out TFT...
Has anyone of you run into similar problems?
Is my assumption with the broken parts right?

Kind regards,

Markus

Seen this before...
Think you are on the mark here....

If this machine is a keeper...consider retrofitting to TFT or LCD display.
Big plus is the reduction of operating temperature in the console which IMO pays dividends in component longevity.
Cheers Ross

It is very easy to figure out if it is one thing or the other: connect an external monitor.

There is a BNC connector at the bottom of the console with composite video output (CVBS). This output can also be used for a cheap LCD monitor, if you want to go for LCD as Ross suggests. You'll get the best result if you can find a monitor with 480 lines as this matches the CVBS output. If the line count doesn't match, the monitor will resample and you'll get a blurry result.

I have bought 3 open frame LCD's with controller from ebay for next to nothing.

To connect to a monitor, like a TV with a RCA to SCART adapter, you'll need a BNC to RCA converter and a RCA cable.

Best regards, Torleif.

Just a quick update...
I have now received the electrolytic caps and replaced the old ones on the board.
But the screen still shows just a line.
Hopefully I get the TDA1170S Chip today.

If this also won't work, I will replace the whole Monitor assembly with a LCD/TFT Screen.
I thought spending 10€ on parts vs. 600€ for a drop- in screen is worth a try to fix the board.

Torleif, can you perhaps tell me which model an make your LCD screen are? Or even send me a link to the ebay listing?

Kind regards,

Markus

Hi Markus.

That won't help you. I purchased them something like 5 years ago, so they are long gone. Besides, mine are 7 inch, you should get an 8 inch monitor if possible, it will look better.

This looks very much like what you want: 8 inch LCD TFT Display 8��x48� + HDMI+VGA+2AV Controller Board for Raspberry Pi | eBay

It's all called Raspberry Pi these days. Look out for the RCA connector like the one to the right on the controller board.

The only problem with the above is that it is from China.

I'll see if I can come up with something better later.

Best regards,

Torleif.

Hi everyone,

Torleif, thank you for linking me the display :-)

I have received the TDA1170S Chips yesterday. Took them almost 2 weeks to get over from Britain.
After swapping out the chip on my monitor controller board und vertical deflection now works properly again.

I found another possible way to check if your CRT board went bad or the tube itself.
On the board there is a potentiometer to adjust the vertical position of the image on the screen.
This adjustment will work with a bad IC, too.
If you turn the potentiometer and the line on the screen does not change its vertical position, your CRT may be broken. If it does your CRT board went bad.

Kind regards,

Markus

NDM 51 issue

Hello Markus,

I have a similar problem with NDM 51. But with my machine, only one line of text is vertically compressed.

You wrote, you have a schematic of the board. Is this available somewhere?

Best Regards

HAX

Hello Markus,

I have a similar problem with NDM 51. But with my machine, only one line of text is vertically compressed.

You wrote, you have a schematic of the board. Is this available somewhere?

Best Regards

HAX

Hello, HAX

I also had only one line compressed.
This was the topline in the screen.
This was solved thanks to Ross "Alfagta" explanation
further down in below thread:

Error Code 00 & 30 on a Deckel FP2NC with Dialog 4

Maybe this can solve your problem line too?

Best regards
Henrik

Hello, HAX

I also had only one line compressed.
This was the topline in the screen.
This was solved thanks to Ross "Alfagta" explanation
further down in below thread:

Error Code 00 & 30 on a Deckel FP2NC with Dialog 4

Maybe this can solve your problem line too?

Best regards
Henrik

Thanks Henrik for this usefull information,

the compresed line was somewhere in the middle. replacing the caps did solve my problem

Best Regards

HAX

É muito fácil descobrir se é uma coisa ou outra: conecte um monitor externo.

Há um conector BNC na parte inferior do console com saída de vídeo composto (CVBS). Esta saída também pode ser usada para um monitor LCD barato, se você quiser ir para LCD como Ross sugere. Você obterá o melhor resultado se encontrar um monitor com 480 linhas, pois ele corresponde à saída CVBS. Se a contagem de linhas não corresponder, o monitor fará uma nova corrida e você obterá um resultado desfocado.

Comprei 3 LCDs de quadro aberto com controlador no ebay por quase nada.

Para conectar um monitor, como uma TV com um adaptador RCA para SCART, você precisará de um conversor BNC para RCA e um cabo RCA.

Atenciosamente, Torleif.
Olá, Vi no fórum que você conhece bem o Dekel Counter 2. O meu parou de dar tela. pode ser mais explícito como funciona para testar na televisão?

Last edited:

Back