What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 - Horizontal spindle draw bar

Neil Scully

Plastic
Hello,

I need to make a draw bar for my Horizontal spindle. Does anyone know what the angle of the cone on the rear locking ring need to be. the spindle has a countersink in the rear end which centres the drawbar.
I cant easily measure it without removing the spindle

Thank you,

Neil

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Don't know the angle offhand, but perhaps you can measure it yourself...
Might be possible to force a bit of modeling clay (hobby shop) into the end of the spindle , then carefully remove the slug and measure the impression made...
If its still unclear better than even chance the taper is at an even angle...using the clay as a starting point, make a test slug on the lathe and test truth with blue to the spindle, adjust as needed and
retest.

Have also made a "gauge" from light gauge wire for situations like this. Bend a short length of wire in the middle...a sharp bend at the approximate angel of the tapered surface....lay the bent wire across the taper with the bend centered...adjust the bend (trial and error) till it fits the two sides to the taper....gauge with protractor to get actual angle.
Cheers Ross

Last edited:

Geonlathe

Plastic
Great advice on finding the angle of a taper. Surely a radius or even the wrong taper would centre the draw bar. Once nipped up it all spins around with the spindle. I would agree that accuracy of taper and a good fit at the arbor or collet end is important.