What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 Literature

Neil Scully

Plastic
Hello,
I recently bought an FP1 with the later style knob type speed changes. It came with the illustrated parts list and publicity brochure but not the much more useful operators manual. I can scan what I have and share it. Can anyone help with a. PDF of the operators manual?
I need to know the lubrication information, it has not been used for some years and the main gearbox sight glass is empty.. I am guessing Tellus S2 VG 68 would probably be OK but would like to be sure.
Thanks in anticipation.

Neil
Dearman Heritage Engineering Ltd.

Hello Karl,

Many thanks. lots of usefull information. If only I had paid more attention to languages in school! The correct manual is in there, the '73 version. It would be nice to find it in English if possible. I can just about understand the lubrication section but cant find the capacity of the main gearbox.
Neil

Hello Neil,

main gearbox = "Hauptgetriebe". According to page 15 (last line) of the 1973 manual 1,5 litres of oil are filled into the main gearbox.
The following page 16 describes the oil change.
Means:
"The oil of the gear boxes and the oil gutter should be renewed once a year.
Oil drain plugs: A1 and A2.
Before filling new oil, they recommend to rinse thoroughly with petroleum or flush oil."

Many years ago, Deckel changed recommentations, which oil to refill. I don't remember, if it has been before or after 1973.
To get even more informations about Deckel machine tools than the manuals describe, search for "Deckel Technische Mitteilungen". It's available in english language, too.

I don't have experience with the Deckel FP1, but after long time without cleaning the gear boxes of a FP2, it's a good idea to remove the gearbox covers to clean them very well with a rags, too.

Cheers,
Karl

Hello Karl,

Thank you very much for the translation and other help. I am thinking of dismantling and checking it as there is a slight knock related to spindle speed.

Neil

I would recommend not to remove the gearbox covers just to clean the gearbox
It can be a pain to get them back and also involves removing tapered pinsAt least on a FP2/3 These can be a real PITA
Flushing it is enough Tilting the machine a bit sideways will help to clean it better

Also changing the oil every year is overkill IMHO
I never change oil Ad some to the right level yes (even had to drain a gearbox of a lathe once because it was topped up max)
Drain oil to clean the sightglass also Then I change the oil and flusch
Oil is never going to go bad in a simple gearbox like on a Deckel
I had some pretty old oil in pretty worn machines that I took apart to repair but never saw any proof of bad lubrication because of bad oil
The bearings on the topshaft go bad because they do not have enough lubrication But not because the oil is bad
And the debriss drops to the bottom and stays there (not so when using motoroil though That has additives to keep the debriss floating to get it taken out by the filter)

Peter

Thank you for the advice Peter. I agree that for home shop use annual changes are not required the machine maybe does 40 hours ina year not 40 hours a week.
I do need to look at the gear changing knobs, something has been misaligned so the scale mark would need to be at 1:30 not 12 o'clock.

Neil

Hello Peter,

Thank you. I can see there is a hex grub screw in the outer (high / low) knob. Nothing on the inner speed change. Looking at the parts cross sections it looks to have a circlip and spring, is this correct?

I now have the Deckel information DVD from Wrench (Alan) well worth the cost as it has lots of useful information.

Regards,

Neil

Hello Peter,

Thank you. I can see there is a hex grub screw in the outer (high / low) knob. Nothing on the inner speed change. Looking at the parts cross sections it looks to have a circlip and spring, is this correct?

Neil

After removing the outer knob (grub screw) , remove the circlip , washers and spring...The larger plastic knob will come straight off, revealing three screws through a clamping ring that retains the speed or
feed rate indicating dial....Loosening the screws will allow you to rotate the indicator dial to show the correct speed/feed....

Cheers Ross

Back