What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1 oil channels/felt wicks help needed

Cycles

Plastic
So I am one of the "greased up Deckels" victims...

When I had the support apart I also cleaned out all the clogged oil channels and now I want put things back together, including replacing the old felt wicks.

For the most part this is self explainatory, but for one oil channel I need input from people who have been there, too.

From the main oil reservoir, there is one horizontal cross hole going through the entire support (red line) and three vertical bores (yellow) cross this to guide oil the e.g. the drive gears:
IMG_20220126_185155.jpg

As of right now, the felt wick (green line) for the horizontal bore is only reaching up to the first vertical hole (yellow).

In my opinion, this felt wick has to go all the way through beyond the third vertical bore, or otherwise all the oil in the horizontal bore would go down the second vertical bore, leaving nothing for the third one? With the felt wick going all the way through, it would carry oil to the last vertical bore too.

SO is it correct, that the felt wick stops at the first bore or does it have to go all the way through?

ballen

Titanium
I have an FP2, so am not sure of the answer to your question. But this thread may be of some help: FP1 Notes on cleaning and disassembly . For example see the drawings/diagrams in post #11 of that thread.

The "Search" function at the top of the page might also be of help, for example if you search for posts with "FP1 felt" or "FP1 wick".

Last edited:

Alan

Cast Iron
Based on your photo I think your machine is an earlier one with the saddle oil reservoir, compared to the later ones with a transfer tube. A fellow at this link Pulling apart a Deckel FP1 | Hyllest posted on the subject so you may try and get in contact if still active. Attached is one of his posted photos. Good luck with it, Alan.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.16.42 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.16.42 am.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 54

Frank Hietbrink

Plastic
Hello,
My FP1 Oil reservoir and 3 vertical bores look the same as yours.( mine is old type with loose gears for feeds)
When I cleaned out mine, there were no cotton wicks or felt plugs at all.
Felt wicks I see for the first time in your Photo.
So, I had the same question. Searched, and read...
My conclusion was this: every vertical hole needs a felt plug a bit down in the hole,(Like you see in the thread, Ballen, points out.)If not the oil is going all, through the nearest hole very fast...
I did put a cotton wick all the way through, the red line, and a bit down in the yellow lines. In this way it seems to work in my case. Have to say I am still new with this machine, I am also curious how it should be on this old one?
Maybe felt wicks were original?

Alan

Cast Iron
Just to expand a little on this relative to felt plugs / restrictors. My machine is different in that it has the transfer tube, but it still has the felt restrictors in the vertical channels, I initially cut the approximate thichness plugs from what felt I had on hand and then did a flow observation using Vactra 2, there was very little flow after 2 days, so I visited a felt supplier with one of the original restrictors, he said I had used "piano" felt which is much denser, what I needed was "grade B" felt which he said is used when restoring vintage car gear box's. This was tried and flow was good after several hours of settling in, I still use Vactra 2 even though there was a Deckel bulletin out in late 60's I think recommending Vactra 4 for my machine, better too much oil than not enough considering all that is lubricated in the saddle through such a system.
On the reservior tank system there are 2 short stand pipes which obviously require wicks to get oil into them, I doubt that felt restrictors would be required for there. Alan.

tfmetal

Plastic
Cycles,

I am also a recent new owner of an FP1 (early 50's lever machine) with quite a bit of grease. I am in the process of pulling apart and cleaning. I don't have a picture but when I pulled mine apart, it had several cotton wicks (~1.5 mm in diameter ea.) twisted together and fed through the entire way and a bit down each bore, like Frank did. Everything appears to be original in my machine so probably came that way. There are no felt plugs in any bores of my machine, just the cotton wick.