What's new
What's new

Deckel (FP4NC) Making Repro Brake drums

At least he lives in the part of the world where little trolls are born (hatched?) amd grow up to be big trolls :-)

Gotta admit, I did some reading up on brake history because of this thread- my thanks yet again to Ross!

L7
 
At least he lives in the part of the world where little trolls are born (hatched?) amd grow up to be big trolls :-)
L7

Hi All,

lucky7,

You should come to Norway sometime, you will be happily surprised! Low crime, you can safely walk around town at night without being mugged, the people are great and like to talk to strangers, especially the girls! In fact everything that you have probably longed for in your life!

Trolls are around so they say but i`ve never met one. By the way, can`t you think of anything more imaginative than your moronic comment! Or is it red neck speak?

Alan
 
Been a bit slow here in the past several days and so thought some might enjoy seeing parts of a little job i have been running on my 3150 RPM FP4NC.
Had an OSCA MT4 in the shop and part of the needed work was replacement of the brake drums...

The OSCA uses an aluminum housing on the drums, finned and fitted with an iron friction liner. Did a bit of looking and nothing use able was available that fit the requirements.
So i set out to reproduce the originals....Measurements taken and sketches made of the relevant parts of the drums.

Good news here is that all 4 drums are the same, same offset , diameter and width...so only one design needed....

Outer body of the drum was made form aluminum. Originals were cast with the iron liner cast in place....Not an option here.

I choose to make the iron liners be shrink fit into the aluminum outer, and to be sure things stay put i joined the liner to the drum using a "spline" to assure a positive "anti-turn" result.....

Liners were blanked out from a Ford Taurus brake drum form the local Napa auto parts house.....

Once blanked out (boring lathe work) the liners were setup on the Deckel and held via the same chuck that i used tor the turning work.
Here the "Pie" jaws support the part (thin) without changing its shape.....

attachment.php


One of the nice things about having "D" style chucks is that by simply removing the cam lock pins (takes about a minute) you can easily set the chuck on the true face of the chuck adapter...
nice for mill work .
Here i use a simple through bolt to the table "T"... Tighten the chuck on the part. lightly , check to see if the part is flat, then secure the chuck grip, finally tighten the center bolt....

Program for the spline was worked out in SurfCam...this is a smooth curve spline...internal and external curves all the same....no sharp edges.

Cut begins. Overall height of the spline will be at .2" taken in two passes for full depth.

attachment.php


attachment.php


Final on the spline.....
attachment.php


Close view of finished spline...
attachment.php



More to follow
Cheers Ross

Been a bit slow here in the past several days and so thought some might enjoy seeing parts of a little job i have been running on my 3150 RPM FP4NC.
Had an OSCA MT4 in the shop and part of the needed work was replacement of the brake drums...

The OSCA uses an aluminum housing on the drums, finned and fitted with an iron friction liner. Did a bit of looking and nothing use able was available that fit the requirements.
So i set out to reproduce the originals....Measurements taken and sketches made of the relevant parts of the drums.

Good news here is that all 4 drums are the same, same offset , diameter and width...so only one design needed....

Outer body of the drum was made form aluminum. Originals were cast with the iron liner cast in place....Not an option here.

I choose to make the iron liners be shrink fit into the aluminum outer, and to be sure things stay put i joined the liner to the drum using a "spline" to assure a positive "anti-turn" result.....

Liners were blanked out from a Ford Taurus brake drum form the local Napa auto parts house.....

Once blanked out (boring lathe work) the liners were setup on the Deckel and held via the same chuck that i used tor the turning work.
Here the "Pie" jaws support the part (thin) without changing its shape.....

attachment.php


One of the nice things about having "D" style chucks is that by simply removing the cam lock pins (takes about a minute) you can easily set the chuck on the true face of the chuck adapter...
nice for mill work .
Here i use a simple through bolt to the table "T"... Tighten the chuck on the part. lightly , check to see if the part is flat, then secure the chuck grip, finally tighten the center bolt....

Program for the spline was worked out in SurfCam...this is a smooth curve spline...internal and external curves all the same....no sharp edges.

Cut begins. Overall height of the spline will be at .2" taken in two passes for full depth.

attachment.php


attachment.php


Final on the spline.....
attachment.php


Close view of finished spline...
attachment.php



More to follow
Cheers Ross
Hi Ross,
Just wondering if you would be interested in making a one off for a vintage motorcycle. the Drum bolts to the hub and has the spokes pull from one side of the drum. See attached pic's.
If i could contact you to discuss further would be excellent.
Regards Terry.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-03-14 170741.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 170741.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-03-14 170930.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 170930.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 15
Hello Terry
Project looks interesting.
Unfortunately I have since retired and no longer have access to the facilities needed to do your job, sorry.
Stay well.
Cheers Ross
 
Thanks Ross,
Hope retirement is treating you well. If you wouldnt mind i would like to bounce a few things of you for your experience so i can have something drawn up.

Regards Terry.
 








 
Back
Top