What's new
What's new

Deckel mill sheet metal chip pan extension wanted.... would a new one from Singer

Did I present enough machining street cred, or do you want more ? There is the woodworking end of things as well......

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...perior-alternatives-gerstner-boxes-scan-6.jpg

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...94566-photos-shop-made-mallets-mirrorbox1.jpg

The end goal is to eventually combine the two somehow...

(as a possibly humorous or horrified aside, depending on your point of view.... eons ago I actually used that bandsaw just as you see it...and even larger (32") ones....no guards at all. The theory being "Well hell, if the guys could do it in 1890, so can I ! :dopeslap: )

You have plenty of "street cred" in my mind as I know about the tapping tool and the other deal you sold. I was just wondering if you were making chips now days or just floating around on your boat, nice boat btw. Love the desk, my grandfather used to make them. My first band saw was like that one except with 36" wheels. All I could think about is where is that blade going if it breaks, you damn sure aren't going to have time to jump out of the way.

My first band saw was like that one except with 36" wheels. All I could think about is where is that blade going if it breaks, you damn sure aren't going to have time to jump out of the way.
I can tell you exactly what will happen as it happened to me many times over the years ...only one actual blade break, but lots of blade running off the wheels incidents. What happens is absolutely nothing.....the blade just instantly stops, the bottom drive wheel continues to turn and the top wheel gradually slows down.

So really the danger with a guard less wood bandsaw is not the blade but the possibility of something happening where you slip and your head or hand somehow get's caught in the spokes of one of the wheels.

saw2.jpg

This is the larger one I mostly used, and had the most "blade malfunction" incidents.....a Jones Superior. Couldn't stand the thought of covering up those beautiful curved spokes ! I thought I had no guards, but the photo reminds me that at least I had a vertical blade guard on that one.

As ancient as it looks I thought I was in the modern age back then (mid 1980's) as the wheels rotated on ball bearings !

Back