What's new
What's new

Degreaser recommendations

MC Parts Kid

Aluminum
Hi all, can someone here make a suggestion for machine degreasing. We suffered a major fire on 12/20 and have since move all the machines into new digs but they are filthy. I figure that this is the time to maintain and clean all of them. I've already figured out that lacquer thinner is not the answer, and that Simple Green stuff can't clean my beagles butt not along a lathe. Thanks in advance, Bob L

Zep - industrial grade - works well, but as with all such products test it on an inconspicuous patch in back of the machine to be sure that you are not using it at a strength & duration that removes everything.

-Marty-

Hi all, can someone here make a suggestion for machine degreasing. We suffered a major fire on 12/20 and have since move all the machines into new digs but they are filthy. I figure that this is the time to maintain and clean all of them. I've already figured out that lacquer thinner is not the answer, and that Simple Green stuff can't clean my beagles butt not along a lathe. Thanks in advance, Bob L

I've had good luck with Gunk foamy engine degreaser. There's a company called Beaver products that also sells foaming degreaser in bulk and applicators for it, depending on how much of a mess you have.

There are dedicated degreasers for items that have been in or near a fire
I used it a lott because it also worked well as a general degreaser and I had acces to it
Ask with a compagny that does clean ups after a fire

Peter

Let me explain the fire. We didn't burn. There was an explosion in the building behind us which blew out our windows and set off the sprinklers. The sprinklers ran for three weeks because of two uncharted water mains. All our cnc's total loss. Were just talking plain dirt and grease here. I figure if I clean them up it will pick up the mood around here. If ya got time, Google 38 Jackson Street fire Hoboken, NJ. Bob L

No fire damage, just light surface rust that emery cloth and 30wt will solve. No lighting. A bunch of third worlds had a vape distributing in the building with 50-gallon drums of shit that didn't belong in the building. Two girls that were living there illegally were killed instantly. I used to teach has-mat. Those vapors are heavier than air and hover at the floor level. All it took was for one of these chicks to light a joint at midnight and throw a match down and the rest was history.

For light rust, usually use a razor blade and the extra fine scotchbrite pad with mineral spirits (or paint thinner).
For grease and oil I use Purple Power full strength. It can be had at most auto supply houses and I think I have bought it at Walmart. I bought a spray bottle to spray it on, I usually buy it by the gallon.

Huh? Your point?

my point go google 38 Jackson Street fire Hoboken, NJ. as the op suggested and see what some of the tenets had to say about the fire

the building had been sold and the new owners wanted to something new with the land . like they say follow on money . its like the

three ol guys from up north are down in Miami for the winter the one as telling the other two how one of his vacant buildings had Burt

down then one of the others tells how one of his building had major water damage do to a fire sprinkler mishap the last one tell how a

tornado destroyed one of his buildings the first guy ask how do you cause a tornado so that's my point

Bob, I agree with Marty. I use several gallon a month of Zep Industrial Purple Degreaser both full strength and diluted to clean machines going through rehab. Just test the waters as to how strong a mixture you need. It will instantly knock the light grease and crud off. Then do your normal rust protection coating and you're all set.

that totally sucks sad thing is you never know were Jewish lighting is going to strike

You either got your terminology mixed up or you're implying "something" :D

Jewish lightning refers to insurance fraud. I'm sure you know that.

A few of my friends worked for a company that did commercial kitchen exhaust cleaning. Cleaning the exhaust hoods and duct work.

I believe they used Purple Power as a degreaser - I'll have to ask. Whatever it was, it was VERY strong and VERY effective.

I'll try to remember to ask them today.

Just watch with some of these they're a strong alkaline and will f-up aluminum and at least degloss paint (or strip it in some cases). Used to use a lot of Castrol Super Clean which I guess Purple Power is a copy of. Got the bright idea to wash my whole car with super clean one day (I was 18, and had gallons of it and less brains), didn't look so good after haha, but it was _clean_.

For painted machine surfaces I like mineral spirits and fine steel wool, or scrubby pads for teflon pans.

For flat bare metal agree with above, razor scraper is great for the bulk work.

Back