What's new
What's new

Designing a horizontal bandsaw from the ground up

Dunno about US ,but here its quite popular to mount a trailer turntable (called 5 th wheel some places) on a large ball bearing type ring ,about 3ft dia ......to do this you need to weld a block on the trailer 'greasy plate ' directly behind the pin......so the trailer doesnt turn on the plates,but turns on the ball ring...there by reducing wear on the whole turntable /greasy plate /pin assy............although ,i think maybe these setups have fallen out of favour with the advent of the 9'6" height containers ,due to the reduction of height necessary with the high shipping containers.

Yep,ball race turntables are still a thing......but have prices gone up in the last 20 years .....I see a quote of $141......not for the ring ,but for a block of steel and two bolts!

Most people who use a bandsaw and require the whole thing swivel on a 5th wheel have 20 foot runout tables on both sides. Sometimes even 40 foot. If you have 20 foot tables left and right, then, yes, its extremely convenient sometimes to just swivel the bandsaw left and right as you cut. Most of us are not quite so well endowed in the shop department, and need to physically pick up the 20 footer, and swap ends, or flip orientations. If you have to do that anyway, a single miter configuration is just fine. My basic cutting capacity is up to 3" solid on at least 2 saws, but even for that, we are talking forklift or crane loading. 2" square tubing, easy to flip ends or, much more common, cut all the left side miters at once, then go back, flip the cut parts, and cut the right side miter. Lots of tricks that work fine for using a single miter. No question however, that with a good dual miter and 20 foot tables both sides, cutting 6" pipe or 12" I beam is much much easier.

Dunno about US ,but here its quite popular to mount a trailer turntable (called 5 th wheel some places) on a large ball bearing type ring ,about 3ft dia ......to do this you need to weld a block on the trailer 'greasy plate ' directly behind the pin......so the trailer doesnt turn on the plates,but turns on the ball ring...there by reducing wear on the whole turntable /greasy plate /pin assy............although ,i think maybe these setups have fallen out of favour with the advent of the 9'6" height containers ,due to the reduction of height necessary with the high shipping containers.

I like the idea of using wheel hub spindles. I saved some off a Ram I replaced the spindles on. Basically a pillow block on steroids.

I love a good miter.

Attachments

• D3F49817-3BF8-4124-B53C-7D985F2714CF.jpeg
    D3F49817-3BF8-4124-B53C-7D985F2714CF.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0BD9C8A0-D48B-41F5-9EE7-1943A719BD49.jpeg
    0BD9C8A0-D48B-41F5-9EE7-1943A719BD49.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 18
Urethane wheels are for cheap wood saws with no tension. You will crush them in a metal saw.
Not sure why you think a wood saw blade needs less tension? My 1/2” wood bandsaw blade needs the exact same tension as a 1/2” metal cutting blade. Re-sawing 10” material accurately requires the right tension on the blade. You may be confusing a light weight wood saw that is not capable of the correct tension with the actual requirement.

You may be confusing a light weight wood saw that is not capable of the correct tension with the actual requirement.
Not doubting that. I have only used a few once good wood band saws. Once was likely before the war, left for scrap at least twice, and the motors vice grip mounting replaced with bailing string.

Wow.......I'm all for making stuff......do it all the time.......but there are sooooo many things if not right, the saw will never ever cut straight.
Then what you going to do??
This sounds like the guys on u tube making a cnc mill, yea it was a "mill" but pretty much useless.....

Back