What's new
What's new

Determine proper abrasive fluid

carova1

Plastic
I'm new to abrasive machining. I bought a White-Sundstrand RG8 that came from a mold shop being used for truing cast iron molded castings. My intended use is to prep hot-rolled mild steel parts for welding. Would like advice on the proper fluid to use. I was planning to use the same oil-water emulsion that I use in the horizontal saws. While draining the old pump fluid, it looked like hydraulic fluid to me. What is the proper fluid for my application?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Charles Vernon

tdmidget

Diamond
I can't tell what you are talking about for sure. You reference "abrasive fluid", "pump fluid", and "hydraulic fluid". I'll take a WAG that you are wanting a coolant recommendation. The emulsion type coolants should be fine.

carova1

Plastic
I can't tell what you are talking about for sure. You reference "abrasive fluid", "pump fluid", and "hydraulic fluid". I'll take a WAG that you are wanting a coolant recommendation. The emulsion type coolants should be fine.
Thanks for your response. I was planning to use the same emulsion coolant that I use in my band saws but I was puzzled when I drained the coolant pump and it contained what looked like to me to be hydraulic fluid. I thought I might be missing something.