What's new
What's new

Dialog 4 programming exercise

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
Working more on learning the programming for my new machine (FP3NC) and have just started the section regarding contour programming with tool compensation. I thought it might be interesting to see what you guys would do for this part and what differences I might see between different people's programs. Might could teach me a thing or two. So, what would your program be for this simple sample part, assuming a 1/4" endmill cutting the profile complete, and X/Y zero set in center of the 3/8" boss. If you see someone's code that is different than what you would do, why would you do it your way instead?

Screenshot_20240501_111317_Sketchbook.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I would do is talk to the bleepin' engineer who designed the part and extort her/him until they relent and make the 1/8" inside corner radii at least 0.130" to reduce the cutter contact and propensity to chatter.

It's nylon, no worries... :D

Also, fractional sizes are usually +/- 1/64" unless otherwise noted, in my world. Do you really think it would be that prone to chatter even in steel with that little contact around the radius? The machines I'm used to running wouldn't even begin to chatter with that little peripheral contact - really even full 180° contact (big HBMs). The Deckel may be different.

Last edited:
Would be nice to know where the blank stock boundaries are....
Will affect program.
Cheers Ross

I was thinking were I to do it, I'd stick a piece of round stock in the end of a super spacer and whittle it out of the end, then cut it off. So let's say a 1½" piece of round.

This basic shape came from an insulating washer for a starter lug - from my backhoe. It's actually more complex than this, but I thought this would be a good start/practice program for me to work on. I 3D printed one, but the resin printed material is a little on the brittle side; thought I might eventually make one from nylon or even G10, got a ton of that laying around.

Last edited:
Deckel Dialog takes more-or-less normal g-code. Where it falls flat is if you just throw the CAD model at CAM and pick, say, a 2D adaptive clearing op to rough away everything that is not the part. The Dialog processor will absolutely choke and stall every third move. It will do much better if the profile is done by hand-coding the profile G41 style and fooling the machine with a way oversize cutter radius comp so as to leave material for another pass around the profile. On Dialog you can ask for T1, then T1*1, T1*2... with varying comp diameters using the same tool and the machine won't stop for a tool change (which is manual). When I had my Deckel, I would have cut ekretz' round boss using G76 (canned cycle for circular bosses -- number might be wrong??), then used the T1, T1*1,... scheme with the basic banjo-shaped G41 profile in a subroutine that could be called repeatedly. The 1/8" radius could be the cutter radius or could be made bigger using sort of a canned G7(?) between the straight and arc moves. I have been away from Dialog long enough that I am forgetting the g-codes specific to the machine.

Is there a view missing from the sketch? I can't figure out what that part is supposed to look like.
Is that a 3/8" solid round boss on top of the 3/8" hole?

Is there a view missing from the sketch? I can't figure out what that part is supposed to look like.
Is that a 3/8" solid round boss on top of the 3/8" hole?

Here's the 3D printed version. The face that the 3/8" boss sits on is radiused, but I didn't put that on the sketch, just considering it flat for the exercise. The hidden line is the tab sticking out, which is the same width as the round boss's OD.

20240501_174211.jpg

20240501_174218.jpg

20240501_174226.jpg

20240501_174357.jpg

I was thinking were I to do it, I'd stick a piece of round stock in the end of a super spacer and whittle it out of the end, then cut it off. So let's say a 1½" piece of round.

This basic shape came from an insulating washer for a starter lug - from my backhoe. It's actually more complex than this, but I thought this would be a good start/practice program for me to work on. I 3D printed one, but the resin printed material is a little on the brittle side; thought I might eventually make one from nylon or even G10, got a ton of that laying around.
If you use a 1.5" piece of round you will need to offset from center of stock, I figure .040"
1714607020359.png

Yes, but new to CNC programming? I dont know who has CNC skills and who is manual only on some guys, Thought @eKretz already did CNC, no?

I have done some, but not a whole lot. And the Dialog programming is a little different. Right now I'm trying to get a handle on best use of the canned cycles built in, as these old machines aren't very CAM friendly, from what I understand, and the canned cycles are really pretty good. (Small memory, ancient processor).

I have done some, but not a whole lot. And the Dialog programming is a little different. Right now I'm trying to get a handle on best use of the canned cycles built in, as these old machines aren't very CAM friendly, from what I understand, and the canned cycles are really pretty good. (Small memory, ancient processor).
The transition from Deckel Dialog to Haas or Fanuc 0i-Mf+ is orders of magnitude easier than doing the transition the other way. With the modern controls, you can get away with a lot of inefficient programming (hand or CAM) that would totally choke the Deckel. Dialog programming really made me think!

Got my first exercise attempt done. Worked good. Didn't bother doing any material allowance on the outside profile, totally huge clearance out there. Little excessive on that first clearance radius around the pin, probably should change that to .5 or so.

N0 G17 T2

N1 N*1 G0 X0 Y0 Z.1

N*1 G75 F32 S+4000 G2 X1 X.125 Y.1875 Y.005 F20 Z-.475 Z-.1875 Z-.005

N2 G64 Z-.625 F20 M70

N3 F32 M70

N4 G41 G45 A.5 X-.1875 Y.75 G0 G64 M60

N5 X.1875

N6 Y.3953

N7 G2 F20 X-.1875 Y.3953 I-.1875 J -.3953

N8 Y.75

N9 G40 G45 A.5

N10 T0