What's new
What's new

Discount Machine Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Seebold

Banned
I bought a 4 x 4 x 4 angle plate from Discount Machine Shop on EBAY on July 12. Money was taken from my paypal account on July 14 and I still don't have the angle plate.

The angle plate was coming from Shars. I have purchased from Shars in the past and never had a problem, but I am thinking this will be the only 2 times I purchase from Discount Machine Shop. FIRST AND LAST.

Shars is a great company to deal with. Discount Machine Shop, forget it.

Did you contact discount machine and let them know? I have had excellent service and shipping from them in the past.

I have contacted Discount Machine Shop and they tell me it has been shipped. They must have shipped it by skateboard. It would be nice if they would add a phone number to their site.

If it's related to Shars that's the problem. I bought from them once and never again.

By the time you receive the tracking number from them, you will already have gotten the pkq. Then when it's missing something have fun calling them. They barely speak English and don't call you back when they say they will.

Plus there tools are made of play doh, was so tired of dealing with them I didn't even try complaining about a broken tool in the first 10 min of using it.

Last edited:
Why not just open a complaint with ebay or paypal (if thats what you used)
Problem solved.
BTW, I've never really had any issues with discount machine, 1 time I bought a co-ax indicator that was pretty much a pile, they sent a replacement, also a pile, they refunded my money and shipping all within a couple weeks time from the original purchase.

Dave

Same with me. I ordered some tooling from Shars that came to about $500, and it was supposed to be all in stock. Called to expedite ... finally arrived, but it was so badly packed that the inserts on a facing tool (no, they werent packed separately) were chipped and had made marks on the other tooling in the box.

After sending photos, a bunch of chasing etc they shipped me 3 inserts to replace the damaged ones. Don't think it really was worth it, but I suspect there;s not much to choose from in that league of suppliers (eg: KBC).

... Gregg

Why not just open a complaint with ebay or paypal (if thats what you used)
Problem solved.
BTW, I've never really had any issues with discount machine, 1 time I bought a co-ax indicator that was pretty much a pile, they sent a replacement, also a pile, they refunded my money and shipping all within a couple weeks time from the original purchase.

Dave
I also bought a co-ax indicator from them, pretty loose construction. Took it apart, added some shim stock to tighten things up, have used it for over 5 yrs. w/ no problems. Wouldn't have had to mess around if I'd bought a Blake, but was seduced by low price.

I'm sorry you guys have had bad luck. For the most part, I've had excellent luck with them.
I've bought all kinds of stuff from them. Only once did I have a problem, and that was when I ordered the wrong item and wanted to exchange it for another they had in stock.

I hate to admit I purchase stuff from them.........but in some cases, it doesn't make economic sense to do otherwise. I have NEVER had a quality issue with anything I have bought from them.

Frank

Home

I made mine faster then a cheapo that has yet to get to you.

I took 2 plates 6 X6 and 6 X 5.250 from 3/4" plate. I drilled a pattern of holes that work with the mills table slots at many angles.

Welded them up with some 3" X 3" X 1/2 plate triangles with the inside point cut off as gussets. After welding it was within .005" A little light milling cuts and it was close enough for me and most jobs.

Its nice, i made it about 15 years ago and if I put it on the bench with the 90D part up it works nice as a 1/2" shank Deming drill holder.

You could have had one made in the time it took you to post your gripe on at least 3 forums that I have seen.

Get off the computer and make one unless you are certain some little kid working 16 hour days in china can do a better job.

"Get off the computer and make one unless you are certain some little kid working 16 hour days in china can do a better job."

I like that statement,,, well said!

Over the years I have bought a fair amount from them with mixed results. The endmills and taps seemed like a good deal, but they don't hold up. Dial indicators seem ok, but I had trouble with a coax indicator . Stay away from the drills. One I got, the shank was not concentric with the drill. Other posts on mill vices generally were poor. The list goes on. Based on my experiences and the comments of others, unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise, I don't plan to buy from them in the future.

Their published numbers are
ph 1-630-443-6822
fax 1-630-443-6823
web shars.com

Tom

I try to keep most of my purchases to stuff like parallels, pins, etc.. I cannot make parallels as cheaply as I can buy them from Discount Machine. Besides, as many times as my "help" nicks the parallels, I would be sick if I made them.

I took a gamble on a "precision" 1/2" keyless chuck and was really surprised at the quality.
I also bought a 24" dial caliper that has turned out to be rather decent. I use it often.

Frank

Home

This is my first post. I was looking for 3-12mm HSS tap and die set and I came across Discount Machine/Shars on e Bay offering a set with a minimum of dead wood sizes Thanks for clarifying that they are one and the same and that the quality and service are sketchy. . Discount says others are selling this $75 item for $120 (like Victor Machine)) suggests this might be the same set . More to the point, has anybody used these Shars HSS taps and adjustable dies which are Chinese? How about Victor's open stock, which I have read, are Eastern European, probably Polish? Has anybody got other suggestions for decent HSS taps and dies that won't break the bank? I have the handles from my inch set so I only really need the taps and dies and making a wood case would be a nice project. I just hand tap but I gather that HSS is less likely to break than high carbon taps. They throw around the terms "tungsten steel and alloy steel" steel. Is that the same as HSS? I hope I have not gone too far off topic but this was the only review of Shars I could find. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back