What's new
What's new

DIY headstock for my CNC lathe, without the belt!

MaherCNC

Plastic
Hi All,
For my CNC lathe, I decided to build my own headstock, starting from a design of BT30 (or similar). Then, after learning about bearing tolerance, dynamic balanced and all the fun, and after few iterations, it worked. But it needed an external AC motor and a belt. Then, I decided to put the motor inside the headstock and remove the belt. More compact design. You can see all the details and prototypes in my video here. Recommendations? Feedback? Thank you, Maher

I like where you are going...
How does a motor housing get the rigidity of a spindle housing?
With the bldc? How do smooth the coging (even faint) might show in work.

I like where you are going...
How does a motor housing get the rigidity of a spindle housing?
With the bldc? How do smooth the coging (even faint) might show in work.
Thank you! Step by step going there!
For the housing, the headstock is pretty stiff for what I am doing with it, i.e. woodworking, you can see it in action in some of my videos. I used it either with a mounted heavy chuck or just a Morse taper. It performed well as expected. For the cogging, i did not experience it, at least no jerkiness of the motor. Maybe because I am running it at high RPMs, not sure! Thank you!

The video of your fully automated CNC lathe in action loading and unloading finished workpieces all by itself is pretty bad ass!

Thank you so much for your kind comment, I am glad you like it ! Follow me for more videos, I am still improving the machines..! Thank you.

Back