What's new
What's new

DMG Mori NLX 2500 door glass replacement

jmezzo

Plastic
Hello,

I do maintenance on CNC machines for my company and we have a machine that either needs new glass or can be cleaned. The issue is the obstruction to the view looks like it is between the panes of glass. I tried looking at it to see if there was some way to get the glass out. I also explored being in the machine to access all the screws and that will not work because some screws aren't reachable. I am thinking I have to take the door off. I have a bridge crane that runs overhead so the lift isn't an issue.

Before I attempt this endeavor, I would like to ask the community. Do I need to take the door off? If so, how? If not, also how? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

I originally started this post in General. After reading other threads, I seen a similar post. Someone said post it in the CNC area so it gets more eyes. I could not figure out how to move the other one. So I am creating this one.

Triaged

Aluminum
As door glass is something that can become an OSHA violation if not done right I would just give DMG MORI a call and have them handle it. That might be the chicken way to do it but that's how I would do it.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
I have done it on one of my Mori lathe ( Duraturn ) and it not necessarily easy.
On the Dura, I was able to get inside the machine, close the door completely and access all the screws.
You may be able to do the same on the NLX as well, BUT!!!
VERY IMPORTANT!!!
1: Remove the automatic lock from your door!
2: Shut down, lock-out - tag-out your machine!

I only have an NL at my disposal and not an NLX so cannot tell you how to remove the door, but it shouldn't be overly difficult.
Once you have access to the glass, it is fairly easy to exchange.

I don't see why would a glass replacement be an OSHA violation as long as it is a factory approved replacement part. :scratchchin:

Panza

Hot Rolled
Depending on how the glass is fixed in the door and how the sealing around the glass is done it might be best to remove the door. I have done it on a Mazak QT Smart and it would be very difficult if not impossible to get everything back together inside the machine.

maf1909

Plastic
I have done it on one of my Mori lathe ( Duraturn ) and it not necessarily easy.
On the Dura, I was able to get inside the machine, close the door completely and access all the screws.
You may be able to do the same on the NLX as well, BUT!!!
VERY IMPORTANT!!!
1: Remove the automatic lock from your door!
2: Shut down, lock-out - tag-out your machine!

I only have an NL at my disposal and not an NLX so cannot tell you how to remove the door, but it shouldn't be overly difficult.
Once you have access to the glass, it is fairly easy to exchange.

I don't see why would a glass replacement be an OSHA violation as long as it is a factory approved replacement part. :scratchchin:

The NLX machines have a latch inside on the ceiling to unlock the door. I know because I had to figure out how to get the door open before we had power to ours.

jmezzo

Plastic
Currently, I am just waiting on down time for the machine. When I do it, I will place notes here so others with this machine can save some headache.

GENERALDISARRAY

Hot Rolled
How about some before pics? There are three panes of "glass" in the NLX door. I didnt understand where exactly the debris is.

jmezzo

Plastic
The glass seems to have coolant dried in-between the layers. Not really debris, but it looks like it just needs cleaned. The machine is operating non-stop so it will be a while before production slows so I can get at the door.

jmezzo

Plastic
So we finally stopped production so I could get the door off, remove the glass, clean it, reattach the glass, seal it, and reattach the door. I will add a sequence of events so it might help others in the future.

Step 1: Remove the panel on top just behind the door and the panels on the left side to include the large cover over the spindle.

Step 2: Remove the rail guard from the top of the rail for which the top of the door is attached to.

Step 3: Remove the latch mechanism from the top of the door. It looks like a seat belt buckle. If you don't remove it, have a welder handy.

Step 4: Remove the upper panel from inside the door. You will need to access the door from both sides to get the screws out.

Step 5: Remove the lower panel from inside the door. Access screws from both sides like step 4.

Step 6: Bolt in eyelets to the top of the door for an overhead hoist to hook up to.

Step 7: Align the door's upper notch with the left wall (Just above the spindle head).

Step 8: Use the hoist to lift the door up just enough to take the weight off of the rails.

Step 9: Drive the hoist away from the machine so that the door pivots on the lower rail and the top rocks away from the machine.

Step 10: Once the lower door bend clears the wall, you can lift the door entirely off the machine.

Mission complete. Reinstallation is the same but in reverse order.

Upper door topside with panel removed. You can see the upper rail guard.
Upper Door Rail Topside.jpg

Lower door rail guard
Lower Door Rail.jpg

Upper door inside rail guard
Upper Door Guard Internal.jpg

Inside lower side of the door with guard removed
Lower Door.jpg