What's new
What's new

DMG Mori NLX2500 calibrating machine Y zero

JacobRush

Plastic
I'm having an issue that initially presented as breaking tips off #2 center drills. after digging into the issue I discovered that when I put the tool on X0Y0 it is .010 high in Y so not on center. Other tool stations give me the same numbers so thats pointing to the machine y0 not being right. I'm new to this machine and the previous operator did have a crash that was bad enough to slightly deform the mounting lugs on a tool station so I'm guessing that's when this happened.

I'd be interested in any advice on the best way to dial this back in. There are Y offsets in the tool table, but I'm concerned that's going to generate geometric errors on live tools and such.

FWIW to work around the immediate center drill issue I aligned one of the drill flutes to align with the error in Y and backed off the feeds knowing it's basically a form tool at this point.

What control does your machine use?

If Fanuc, and Absolute Encoders (all your Servo Drives need battery backup) you simple put the Y axis where you want it, and reset home by flipping the APZ bit for the Y axis. (Look it up)

Alternately... If you have to Home the machine every time you turn it on you will need to adjust the Y axis Grid Shift to correct the error.

I think this should work fine, because you say all the turret positions give the same result.

In the mean time you could put a Y offset in the main Work Coordinate SHIFT register on your Work Offset page.

If it's something other then Fanuc... never mind. :-)
Although something similar is likely needed regardless of control brand.

If the y axis shifted 0.01"" then there is more to check i guess. If you want a machine without weird geometric errors you should call your service guy to do a full check. Or do a full check yourself if you can. if you only want to set the y axis like you ask for : If it's fanuc use prm 1815. Move y axis to new zero and flip prm 1815 apz for the y axis. Restart the machine and check. for mits:

I'm having an issue that initially presented as breaking tips off #2 center drills. after digging into the issue I discovered that when I put the tool on X0Y0 it is .010 high in Y so not on center.

I'm new to this machine and the previous operator did have a crash that was bad enough to slightly deform the mounting lugs on a tool station so I'm guessing that's when this happened.
holy S lol...

to fix it proper, you need to realign the tool turret, which isn't difficult on the outside, but it is involved and kind of a pita...

In the meantime you can and should use your Y offsets to acount for the error, just remember to put a Y0. after calling up your tool and fixture offsets i.e. t101: g0g54 x3.z1.y0 etc, yer program should already be doing this... since you have a Y axis... but... not all programmers are the same.

I'd recommend calling your service tech. I had a similar issue on the same machine with the turret being off a bit. It cost around $1,800 to get the turret realigned.

I'd recommend calling your service tech. I had a similar issue on the same machine with the turret being off a bit. It cost around $1,800 to get the turret realigned.
Yah I'll do that I should have asked what to do rather than how to comp it out. I'd rather have the fundamentals correct rather than working around with comps.

Yah I'll do that I should have asked what to do rather than how to comp it out. I'd rather have the fundamentals correct rather than working around with comps.
while I was waiting for the tech, I would just dial in the tool with an indicator and add the X/Y offset to the tool offsets.

Back