What's new
What's new

DN Solutions SVM 4100

Miller846

Aluminum
Good Afternoon, Just curious if anyone has any experience with the new Doosan SVM 4100? What are the differences between the SVM and DNM, besides weight/rigidity? Looking for a machine to mainly cut aluminum parts fast and feel that the SVM might be a good fit but I also am looking for a quality machine that will last a long time with little to no issues. I know the SVM was built to directly compete with the VF2SS, just wondering if doosan cut corners in quality to do it. Thanks for your input!

I used to work for Doosan.
The SVM is every bit as high quality build as the DNM. It's mostly for aluminum/plastics.
It's a shade lighter and maybe not as robust but fully capable for its intended use. No corners were cut, per se, but it's specifically built for aluminum and plastics cutting. It's built with a 30/40 year lifespan in mind.

If you're going to cut a mix of metals with stainless and steels thrown in, go for the DNM. I've seen them chow on stainless, and tough steels all day and shrug it off.

I usually don't comment on these opinion type request posts since I work for DN Solutions. I am currently putting an SVM4100 and an SVM5100 through it's paces and I am impressed. We don't cut corners to compete with Haas, we don't have to. These machines are geared towards Aluminum cutting at high speed but I have also cut 42Rc mold steel on the SVM4100 and it didn't even flinch. The attached image was a test cut result in Aluminum. This was finished at 12K RPM and 150 IPM.

Attachments

• SVM Test Box.jpg
    SVM Test Box.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 162
I have a SVM4100 and love it so far. It came down to this machine and a Brother and I went for 40 taper and more Z travel.
No expereince with the DNM series, so cant really offer anything there. The SVM did fit in a 8' high door and the DNM wouldnt.

I usually don't comment on these opinion type request posts since I work for DN Solutions. I am currently putting an SVM4100 and an SVM5100 through it's paces and I am impressed. We don't cut corners to compete with Haas, we don't have to. These machines are geared towards Aluminum cutting at high speed but I have also cut 42Rc mold steel on the SVM4100 and it didn't even flinch. The attached image was a test cut result in Aluminum. This was finished at 12K RPM and 150 IPM.
Wow, a picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Very impressive finish! Is DN Solutions coming out with a SVM 5100 as well? Sounds like I will probably opt for the SVM over the DNM as I do 99% Aluminum/copper/plastics and could use the money saved on tooling. When I take a finish pass at 150 IPM on my haas, it definitely does not look like that, even with high end coolant, endmills, etc.

Wow, a picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Very impressive finish! Is DN Solutions coming out with a SVM 5100 as well? Sounds like I will probably opt for the SVM over the DNM as I do 99% Aluminum/copper/plastics and could use the money saved on tooling. When I take a finish pass at 150 IPM on my haas, it definitely does not look like that, even with high end coolant, endmills, etc.
Yes, we have an SVM5100L. The L version has a longer X axis travel at almost 50 inches. Same spindle and same tuning for high speed Aluminum cutting.

Yes, we have an SVM5100L. The L version has a longer X axis travel at almost 50 inches. Same spindle and same tuning for high speed Aluminum cutting.

Any sense as to the saddle stiffness when the table is to one side? When my VF-5 is loaded there's a noticeable rock with the table extended, would like a better option for long parts.

Any sense as to the saddle stiffness when the table is to one side? When my VF-5 is loaded there's a noticeable rock with the table extended, would like a better option for long parts.
Milland, Our Y Axis saddles are very wide, about 88" on the SVM5100L. There is only about 6" of overhang at the extreme limits of the X axis. There should be no sag. I cut an Aluminum part that was 24" long, did a waterline toolpath on a 5 degree tapered wall. After CMM, there was no more than .0005" error at any point on the form. This was cut at 138IPM. All other SVM models are similar proportions depending on the model. The tables are fully supported along the entire length of the X axis.

Paul

Attachments

• SVM5100L Limits.jpg
    SVM5100L Limits.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Aluminum Test Part.jpg
    Aluminum Test Part.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 94
Looking for a machine to mainly cut aluminum parts fast and feel that the SVM might be a good fit but I also am looking for a quality machine that will last a long time with little to no issues. I know the SVM was built to directly compete with the VF2SS,
I thought the DNM was already in VF2SS territory?

Fast aluminum machining is Brother Speedio territory.

I thought the DNM was already in VF2SS territory?

Fast aluminum machining is Brother Speedio territory.
The DNM seems to be equivalent in price to an optioned up haas where as the SVM appears to have a few less options and comes in slightly cheaper than a similarly optioned haas. Both appear to be great machines from what I’ve seen.

What does a base SVM come with - Is a swarf conveyor / auger and TSC optional?

Its a machine I would be looking at to replace an ageing VMC we have but would want the above and control options to be able to handle some 3d machining.

This would go up against us getting another long bed robodrill for us but with this machine being a bit more flexible - it would be interesting to see how pricing stacks up.

What does a base SVM come with - Is a swarf conveyor / auger and TSC optional?

Its a machine I would be looking at to replace an ageing VMC we have but would want the above and control options to be able to handle some 3d machining.

This would go up against us getting another long bed robodrill for us but with this machine being a bit more flexible - it would be interesting to see how pricing stacks up.
Rick_H, here is what comes standard. Base price is 74K. Note it does come with AICCII and that also includes Nano Smoothing (G5.1 Q3). The avove photo I posted was with a stock machine.

Main Features

• FANUC 0i-Plus control with iHMi touch screen interface
  • Meehanite cast iron bed
  • High precision, direct coupled spindle design with (5.5 / 18.5 kW \ 7.375 / 25 hp motor, 12,000 rpm)
  • Spindle oil chiller
  • Spindle orientation, load meter, override and rigid tapping
  • Cam Type, Double Arm ATC with shutter door (30 tools)
  • Large ball type linear guides (X - 35 mm \ 1.378", Y - 35 mm \ 1.378", Z - 35 mm \ 1.378")
  • Servo motors mounted directly to the oversized and pre-tensioned ball screws (X - 32 mm \ 1.26", Y - 32 mm \ 1.26", Z - 32 mm \ 1.26")
  • Fast rapid traverse rate (X - 36 m/min \ 1,417 ipm, Y - 36 m/min \ 1,417 ipm, Z - 36 m/min \ 1,417 ipm)
  • AICC II (200 block look ahead) + 1 gig data server
  • Renishaw probe ready (OMI-2T optical receiver and GUI software only)
  • Doosan Tool Load Monitoring and Adaptive Feedrate Control
  • Doosan Smart Thermal Monitoring (Software algorithm based thermal compensation system)

• Standard Equipment and Warranty
  • 20 bar (230 psi) Through spindle coolant, Air through spindle
  • Flood coolant with large separate coolant tank (240 liter \ 63 gallon)
  • Bed flushing coolant for chip disposal
  • Full enclosure splash guard
  • Telescopic covers
  • Eco friendly grease lubrication with 1 cartridge pre-installed on the machine
  • Portable manual pulse generator
  • Program and data protection key
  • Work light and 3 color tower signal light
  • Two-year machine parts warranty, one-year labor warranty. See warranty pages for details.
  • Two-year control warranty: Parts and Labor
  • Doosan instruction, operation, parts list and electrical drawing manuals in hardcopy format
  • FANUC manuals provided on USB drive (Hardcopy available for purchase, contact parts department)

That price is for the 4100 or 5100?
What does it cost to add work/tool probes and a conveyor?

The DNM seems to be equivalent in price to an optioned up haas where as the SVM appears to have a few less options and comes in slightly cheaper than a similarly optioned haas. Both appear to be great machines from what I’ve seen.
Correct. The DNM is a high line machine.

Back