What's new
What's new

do all 38-53443 hydraulic surface grinder , I started up the machine I bought used and the hydraulic pump sounded labored . no movement

beau636

Plastic
I drained the old hydraulic fluid , it was thick and milky , the pump ran but no movement . There is a glass cup that was full of sludge I cleaned it , Do I fill this with fluid before I refill the hydraulic tank and start the motor ? I can't find any thing online it is a do all 38-53443 hydraulic surface grinder . water cooled .

Milling man

Aluminum
I drained the old hydraulic fluid , it was thick and milky , the pump ran but no movement . There is a glass cup that was full of sludge I cleaned it , Do I fill this with fluid before I refill the hydraulic tank and start the motor ? I can't find any thing online it is a do all 38-53443 hydraulic surface grinder . water cooled .
Photos of your machine would be very helpful in order to advise something.
Within a short time, the hydraulics can be started without cooling, in a few minutes it is unlikely to overheat. I would advise you to drain any water that might get into the oil.
In addition to starting the pump, you have to do some other actions to make the machine start moving :)

guythatbrews

Cast Iron
Make sure the suction strainer is clean, if there is one. They can be tough to get to on some machines, way down in the hydraulic tank. Since you've had issues hopefully the top of the hydraulic unit comes off so you can clean it out.

cyanidekid

Titanium
some more info... and picture would help.

ok, if there was water in the oil, and we can say there probably was if the oil was milky, and its got the massive hydraulic "brain" that mine does, you will be lucky if it will work. those things are very complex, intricate, and somewhat delicate with regards to corrosion internally. they are masterpieces of "fluidics" which is kind of like saying it's an analog computer using hydraulic fluid.
another way to say it, a 65lb headache!
you need a whole lot of " be careful" and "go slow" here if you don't want to do more damage to it. wether to fill the sight cup is the least of your worries.

at the very least, dis-engage the hydraulic feed and see if the X moves, then disconnect the cylinder and lift off the top Y slide to inspect. try all the feed adjustment levers and settings to be sure they move freely.

if the scraping is mostly intact, and you want to really rescue this machine, consider a complete teardown. ANY point in this complex system could be the weak point, selector valves, trip/limit valves, cylinders, the brain, etc. and HOW water got in there is curious, was this stored outside?

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I would also pull the valve/spool blocks and disassemble, clean, check clearances etc. but that's me. Not sure on OP's experience level.

I'm assuming the "no movement" means that he tried to move the table and it wouldn't go...