What's new
What's new

Do any manufacturers make a portable, coolant recycling machine with BOTH tramp oil and particulate removal

doug925

Titanium
I need to buy a sump / drum vac like the Exair coolant vacuum, with the particulate filters. (at a bare minimum)
I would also like to remove the tramp oil from the coolant at the same time as particulate filtering.
Lastly, can something like this (if it exists) be had for less than $5K?

Thanks,

Doug.

I have several Keller tramp oil removers. There is a particulate filter before the tramp oil removal.
I just got three of them used and set one up for my mill. The model I have is floor mount for a machine but I put it on a cart so I can roll it to other machines. They do make a portable unit. Not sure what they cost new.

Those sump cleaners... if you're pumping out tramp oil along with your coolant, do you get sludge buildup on the walls of the sump cleaner tank? And if so, how do you clean it out? Doesn't seem like accessibility is great with those, which is what has prevented us from getting one of those units.

The Exair drum units are far from perfect but work well for us because the drum lids can be removed for cleaning (and/or the drums can be tossed).

I have not used one of these units, although I have been trying to pick an old one up on Marketplace for closing in on a full year. But many of those utilize a DIRTY and a CLEAN tank, and some include the use of a small centrifuge (for solids I expect, not oil?).

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have not used one of these units, although I have been trying to pick an old one up on Marketplace for closing in on a full year. But many of those utilize a DIRTY and a CLEAN tank, and some include the use of a small centrifuge (for solids I expect, not oil?).

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Some have a coalescer for the oil.

We got an older big cimcool cincinatti coolant cleaner vacuum tank thing. It has a clean and dirty side as stated above. filters the dirty coolant thru a fine filter. clogs up fast if you're sucking up muck. It's a big bulky tank that's honestly just annoying to deal with in every way possible but it does efficiently clean coolant and empty the tanks for cleaning.

Those sump cleaners... if you're pumping out tramp oil along with your coolant, do you get sludge buildup on the walls of the sump cleaner tank? And if so, how do you clean it out? Doesn't seem like accessibility is great with those, which is what has prevented us from getting one of those units.

The Exair drum units are far from perfect but work well for us because the drum lids can be removed for cleaning (and/or the drums can be tossed).

I'm considering one of the Exair units. What issues do you have with them? Do you have the one with the chip filter? You must not be using their heavy duty barrel if you're tossing the barrels when they get dirty. Do they work OK with normal barrels?

For particulate removal - you need a centrifuge.
Several doo have a spinner, but likely not your portable $5k unit.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm considering one of the Exair units. What issues do you have with them? Do you have the one with the chip filter? You must not be using their heavy duty barrel if you're tossing the barrels when they get dirty. Do they work OK with normal barrels?
The venturi unit itself works great. We have three of them with no issues.

The drum setup isn't nearly as polished as a Freddy. The parts that come with the system are off-the-shelf and cobbled together. The extension pipe is 8" short of the bottom of the drum so we ended up making our own replacement. The hose tears easily so we bought a tougher, smooth-ID flex hose from McMaster.

We don't use their chip filter. We empty the sump without a filter, clean the sump manually, then pump the fluid back into the sump through a sock filter.

We don't toss drums frequently, but we'll occasionally relegate a drum to chip bin duty. The system works fine with normal closed lid drums, as the pressure is regulated to less than 6ish psi. For open lid drums with a removable top, safer to use a heavy duty unit. McMaster has those.

Last edited:
Started looking at ways to filter waste coolant as now a 55-gallon drum is over $2,000.00. I found old thread. I'm surprised there is not more talk about coolant filtration and reuse. We put the waste coolant in a big container. This includes skimmed coolant, the coolant we suck out of the machine when doing a tank clean out and the dirty coolant that is washed thru the dirty chip barrels into the chip barrel dollies There is a layer of tramp oil on top, and the sludge on the bottom but quite a few gallons of coolant that should be able to be filtered and reused. Anyone have experience if this is possible? Or is the coolant too far contaminated at this time? Per Blaser /Swisslube, the minimum recommendation on filter size is 5 microns. Otherwise, you filter out the product that made the coolant what it is.

Attachments

• Coolant.jpg
    Coolant.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
How fine you can filter depends on what you are using. Master Chemical told me 5-10 micron for their full synthetic and 20-25 for semi-synthetic. Coolant does degrade over time so you eventually will want to replace it.

BTW Emanuel, your gurly there, I ass_u_me that she is the shop floor manager at a major machining facility?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back