What's new
What's new

Do I belong here?

Also, DO NOT MENTION the forbidden machines per the site guidelines or you'll get blasted.

I still don't get that, I am new here but been machining since the late 70's. They sell $10 calipers here and $200 CNC router kits, those are junk. On the other hand plenty of us used so called banned machinery in a professional environment and it works just fine. I have a Jet 14X30 lathe made in Taiwan in 1975. I bought it used over 25 years ago. It gets used weekly and sometimes daily, never had an issue with it, all features still work great.

They sell $10 calipers here ... those are junk.
I have a set of 8 inchers that I think paid $12 for, just as good as any Starret or Mittymoto I ever used. Not quite as nice as Etalon but otherwise, good.

btw, the ads are not from the site itself, advertisers buy space and put whatever they want there. You might even see photos of a Toyota Tacoma, given how "patriotic" posters here are :)

On the other hand plenty of us used so called banned machinery in a professional environment and it works just fine.
I don't think the machinery is the problem. It's some of the hobby-shop questions that come along with it. Original owners of the site were trying to run at a more advanced level than "how do I cut a thread ?" Seems like some of that still leaks through, oh well.

I still don't get that, I am new here but been machining since the late 70's. They sell $10 calipers here and $200 CNC router kits, those are junk. On the other hand plenty of us used so called banned machinery in a professional environment and it works just fine. I have a Jet 14X30 lathe made in Taiwan in 1975. I bought it used over 25 years ago. It gets used weekly and sometimes daily, never had an issue with it, all features still work great.

This has been discussed many times, the forbidden machine is just a proxy for limiting discussions to a certain "professional" level. While a skilled machinist can most likely get reasonable results from many hobby type machines, no skilled machinist would choose to use such a machine for day to day work. It seems to me that this proxy approach has worked pretty well on this site to keep most conversations focused on professional level effort.

Yep. Easy to hide behind a keyboard, that's for sure.

When you're sweating pipes, keep a damp rag with you. Sweat the pipe, THEN wipe the joint off with the rag. Takes all the excess off and makes the joints look all clean and purdy.

I would probably end up setting the rag on fire. I am real good at that when welding something on a table.

That would be the taxi driver from New York you are referring to.....

It's obviously you monkeys are the ones that gets agitated here, I'm just feeding bananas from your banana tree.

Before I provide the banana,

Most of the monkeys here does not know how to have a proper conversation in a logically educated manner.

You monkeys are just banging your wooden wrench on your manual old dumb lathe which you can not comprehend to control it electronically.

PS i will look into Carbide Bob's posts, would be great if you provided the link.

Yah this guy lol...hes was worth a few lulz

Everyone belongs on here if they're interested in the subject. Ignore the high falutine snob asses that think you gotta have 150K in equipment... you can't be a man if you don't smoke the same cigarettes' s a me, Types! Hell, I walked away from the whole idea of being stuck in an all day turning out parts for the man job 40 years ago. Basically do the same as you. making or fixing stuff that needs to be done, but I have other stuff to do to. It just makes for different skill sets that we can all learn from if we're willing. So stick around. Don

Back