What's new
What's new

Do I *really* need this part?

Hello All!
I'm on a mission to get our shops '79 Whacheon lathe up to par again. Also, I have zero qualifications for this project, yet here we are...
I'll attach a picture of the item in question. It is a picture of what I believe to be part our lathe had, but was since broken and/or lost. No one remembers exactly (helpful, i know). Also note, this is not our exact lathe pictured, one of the techs forwarded a few things he found to try and help.
Here's the thing, I'm having a hard time digging thru to find relevant information, and also found an additional piece of equipment this may belong to. We have a Mimik PT45 piled on a pallet that was pulled out from under the lathe as it had "coat rack" status for quite awhile. Could this be part of the Mimik and not nessecry for the lathe?
The yellow circle I am aware is the dial indicator used for threading. The green circle I assumed was part of the threading , half nut(?) Possibly, but the discovery of the mimik has me wondering.
Any and all knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221111_193809.jpg
    20221111_193809.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 160
Simple fact is if you remove any incomplete bits,and never mention them......no one will be the wiser........if you tell anyone,you are making a rod for your own back.

awander has it right.

You don't NEED either, but both are worth having.
Having the threading dial alows one to release the half nuts, and then "catch the thread" for subsequent cutting passes.

The trav-a-dial gives the operator sensitive motion indication that surpasses the hand wheel.

The Handwheel on my Mazak Ajax Hercules, is marked in .010 increments. the trav-a-dial has it down to .001". A useful improvement .

Simple fact is if you remove any incomplete bits,and never mention them......no one will be the wiser........if you tell anyone,you are making a rod for your own back.
No, no, they knew this puzzle was missing pieces when it was handed off to me. If I would have had an incomplete bit I probably could have figured it out myself. I'm not stupid, I just don't always know what I'm looking at.

awander has it right.

You don't NEED either, but both are worth having.
Having the threading dial alows one to release the half nuts, and then "catch the thread" for subsequent cutting passes.

The trav-a-dial gives the operator sensitive motion indication that surpasses the hand wheel.

The Handwheel on my Mazak Ajax Hercules, is marked in .010 increments. the trav-a-dial has it down to .001". A useful improvement .
So both items are used in cutting threads, correct?
The current idea is we currently have a tech who can operate it (though not a machinist by trade, more hobby level) He would be welding and turning down shafts for large pump rebuilds. Threading is a task we need it to do. It is fully functional for that task without the trav-a-dial?
If I wanted to get a trav-a-dial do you have any leads? I have contacted Whacheon for replacement jaws, and loosely describing the trav-a-dial without the proper term. I have no idea when to expect a reply back from there.

Don't need the Trav-A-Dial for threads. I would consider the thread dial much more important; thread dial is needed if you can't reverse the spindle or reverse the leadscrew.
The Trav-A-Dial is a little bit like what a DRO does for the carriage travel. It's a carriage travel indicator.

Forget the Trav-A-Dial and go to the bosses and tell them it needs a 3 axis DRO,a good one costing $10k,and watch them backpedal............incidentally the square block on the end of the apron looks like it might be a high sped threading attachment ...once!........if one of the half nuts is missing from inside the apron (which I doubt) thats a problem.......however the high speed threading would also have a single half nut,and that can easily be done without.

Why isn’t a real machinist working at your place? These are questions your own guy could help management with. How likely is your tech going to hit required tolerances quickly and not break tooling/machines/himself?

The third axis is for the compound, preferably with a display that will integrate the angle of the compound into the positions.

One of the few times I feel like I'm a genius is whenever a thread cutting topic comes up. I read, in amazement, at all the crazy and complex methods people feel are necessary to cut threads on a lathe. I still don't understand half of them....but I consider myself a genius for the simple fact that I never seem to have any trouble cutting threads using the lathe as it was pooped out by the factory. As for the thread dial in the green circle, yes, you need it.

So both items are used in cutting threads, correct?
The current idea is we currently have a tech who can operate it (though not a machinist by trade, more hobby level) He would be welding and turning down shafts for large pump rebuilds. Threading is a task we need it to do. It is fully functional for that task without the trav-a-dial?
If I wanted to get a trav-a-dial do you have any leads? I have contacted Whacheon for replacement jaws, and loosely describing the trav-a-dial without the proper term. I have no idea when to expect a reply back from there.
the Trav-A-Dial is an aftermarket add on, not made by them, so don't expect to hear back at all, especially if you actually describe it correctly.

in fact this is a pet peeve of mine, if you want parts, instruction, help or advice, do the manufacturer, the friend, the forum, or other source the courtesy of a little research. look it up first. it would have taken you 10 seconds to image search "threading dial" , "lathe dial", "whacheon threading dial" and your would have seen the difference.

as to wether its used when threading, it can be, but it is just a linear indicator, not specifically threading related.

John.k, if you read the original post, the pic isn't even the lathe in question. that's another one, post pics if you want actual answers. if you don't have them, wait till you are at work and do some research first, or at least explain (in one short sentence) why you can't... rant over, good luck, back to work.

Why isn’t a real machinist working at your place? These are questions your own guy could help management with. How likely is your tech going to hit required tolerances quickly and not break tooling/machines/himself?
I'm not sure a dedicated machinist ever ran this lathe at our shop. It sounds like it was an impulse purchase at an auction decades ago because of the cheap price it went for.
Currently I have confidence in the current tech that would be running it. He's one of thoes old boys that's amassed enough knowledge about a variety of topics to still be an asset and not outdated. He says he can turn what we need with running equipment, ok let's get it working for you.
My personal thinking is we can start by keeping some projects in house that we would typically send out (welding and turn down existing shafts) and see how it goes from there.

the Trav-A-Dial is an aftermarket add on, not made by them, so don't expect to hear back at all, especially if you actually describe it correctly.

in fact this is a pet peeve of mine, if you want parts, instruction, help or advice, do the manufacturer, the friend, the forum, or other source the courtesy of a little research. look it up first. it would have taken you 10 seconds to image search "threading dial" , "lathe dial", "whacheon threading dial" and your would have seen the difference.

as to wether its used when threading, it can be, but it is just a linear indicator, not specifically threading related.

John.k, if you read the original post, the pic isn't even the lathe in question. that's another one, post pics if you want actual answers. if you don't have them, wait till you are at work and do some research first, or at least explain (in one short sentence) why you can't... rant over, good luck, back to work.

The forum was definitely not my first line of action. I was afraid of people just being upity jerks like they dont remember being green themselves. I was hoping even if I couldn't get direct help, I could get some tips on how to search better results myself or websites to check out.

The techs knew there was a part that was attached to the lathe for threading but a few years ago it became lost from the machine. No one knew what it was called or did.

I was told what the threading dial was, so I was able to tell the difference between the two in the picture. I tried different wording to look up the trav-a-dial (before I knew the correct term) but it wasn't the right words because nothing popped up in searching that looked like the picture. I'm not sure how to post a picture of a lost item I'm trying to ID. I'd appreciate your advise on that for future use.

This machine is a '79 which is likely part of my problem, there just aren't the photos or vendors on the internet for me to get easy search results like if I had a machine from the last 10 yrs. I try looking stuff up and just get a smattering of stuff to sift thru.

I was told what the threading dial was, so I was able to tell the difference between the two in the picture. I tried different wording to look up the trav-a-dial (before I knew the correct term) but it wasn't the right words because nothing popped up in searching that looked like the picture. I'm not sure how to post a picture of a lost item I'm trying to ID. I'd appreciate your advise on that for future use.
if you get the message "file too large" when you try to upload an image, email it to yourself and select "medium" resolution. this should compress it to an acceptable file size. (iPhone and gmail). maybe others can chime in on if that/what works on other platforms.

Back