What's new
What's new

Doall 1611-OHS Table Load capacity

Harri89

Cast Iron
Hello!

I have a 56mm thick piece of plate what i need to cut in two. (500mm x 700mm.)

I Could use my Doall 1611-Ohs vertical bandsaw with hydraulic table feed.

I am just wondering, what is the max table load capacity on that machine?

steve-l

Titanium
I don't know what the weight limit of the DoAll table is nor do I know how heavy your 56 mm plate is, but I do know that this task is likely machine abuse. Rather than risk breaking the table trunion, you should outsource the job. It would be a lot less expensive than finding a new non-existent trunion casting.

Limy Sami

Diamond
I don't know what the weight limit of the DoAll table is nor do I know how heavy your 56 mm plate is, but I do know that this task is likely machine abuse. Rather than risk breaking the table trunion, you should outsource the job. It would be a lot less expensive than finding a new non-existent trunion casting.

+ 1 on what he said.

Milland

Diamond
I'm going to cautiously disagree with my colleagues, I think that this plate, while heavy, should be safe to cut as long as care is exercised.

I'm going to presume it's a steel plate, 150kg, and an alloy that's not crazy hard. Also that the OP has a suitable blade and some form of lubrication during the cut. I've cut much thicker (but shorter X-Y) 17-4 H900 on my 16", and it was pretty easy with a good carbide blade.

The most important thing is to not "drop" the plate onto the table during loading, a shock like that could damage the machine. I'd also like to see some sort of rolling cart used to support the outboard section of the plate until it's been advanced far enough into the cut to have the weight fully supported by the table. When I got to half-way in the cut, I might want to remove, rotate the plate 180deg., then repeat with the outboard support.

I'd also urge the OP to exercise great care for his own safety, if something does break you want to be sure that no body parts are in the way of the fall!

barbter

Diamond
My Doall was a 14" and had the tilt table.
If OP has a tilt table, ensure it's proper tight, and you're wearing steel toecaps....
:D

gbent

Diamond
I think your saw will handle it with ease. That saw was sold as the wire edm of its day. The doall books from the era show die sections being sawn tall enough they barely fit under the guides.

Milland

Diamond
I think your saw will handle it with ease. That saw was sold as the wire edm of its day. The doall books from the era show die sections being sawn tall enough they barely fit under the guides.

Cool, wasn't aware of that. If the OP gets a chance, it would be interesting to get some pictures of the underside of the table to see how stout it is.

I love my 16" DoAll, while not a power feed table it is built like a tank (1800lbs), and it's never let me down when I've had some tough cutting to do.

jermfab

Cast Iron
I hate to admit it, but I have used my Doall ML saw as a ladder once or twice. I’m 200 pounds, and in the step-stool ferinstance, that means a 200+ pound point load on the ball of a size 12 boot…

Most of the issues with Doall trunnions seem to arise from lifting the body of the saw by the table, not from overloading the table.

Even so, I would hedge my bets and try to make my in/out-feed arrangement carry as much weight as possible.

In my personal shop, I would also strongly wonder why a guy was spending so much time setting up a bandsaw to make such a cut when doing so means he’s walked past the oxy-fuel torch cart a handful of times and using that device would mean he’s already done…

Is this an alloy that possibly doesn’t cut with oxygen/acetylene?

Be safe

Jeremy

lucky7

Stainless
From the manual, standard table has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. This is not abuse, it is normal machine use.

I agree with others, I’d torch it if I could, or better, get the steel service centre to provide at dimensions I want. Cheaper and easier at end of day.

Just don’t drop it on your toes..

L7

I have a 1612-3 with hydraulic table. As mentioned the saw was featured as a die cutting machine. The orientation of the blank and depth of the feed table are the limiting factor.

While that is a heavy piece it is not "that heavy" I had a text book in Jr High? maybe high school that showed a DoAll 1612 cutting all kinds of large items. That early recollection was my inspiration to get one myself. I have a 1000 jib crane that I use to load heavy stuff and counter balance as needed.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3981a.jpg
    IMG_3981a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15

Harri89

Cast Iron
I dont have a oxy / acetylene torch, only 85A Hypertherm plasma.
And the type of the alloy isnt known. Doesnt seem that hard.

Thanks for replys and tips. I think i'll support the plate by a support roll stand.

I'll let you know how it worked out :)