What's new
What's new

DoAll Blade Guide Regrinding?

Artfrombama

Plastic
Bought a rather well used 2013-V DoAll bandsaw a couple years back and have thoroughly enjoyed the machine for my metal as well as wood projects. One thing that's keeping the machine from being pristine is worn blade guide inserts, especially in the smaller sizes. To say that replacements from the manufacturer are expensive is quite an understatement. While I'm not a penny-pincher I would like to find someone to regrind the guides if that is something that can be done by someone with a jig of the proper angle and a surface grinder (of which I don't have).
Thanks!

rke[pler

Diamond
So far as I know it's just a simple angle grind that can be done by anyone with a surface grinder. Here's a video covering it (starting at the 20:00 mark, roughly)

https://youtu.be/O0dj4eMq3DU

If you can't find someone local I could do it here, you'd have to cover the cost of shipping back.

bsg

Titanium
I think a belt sander could do it well enough. If too worn start with a angle grinder. Do you have a tool grinder?
Bil lD

Belt sander would work, set a guide up for 45° and cleanup the surface.....they don't need to be the same length!

I have clamped them in a v-block and dusted them on a surface grinder also......

Kevin

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
Now is a good time to straiten out your junky belt sander or disc sander. If your sander platen is worn,clamp a NICE FLAT piece of 2 inch hardwood to the table right up against the belt.This will be your new table and you will have a nice unworn platen to sand against. Get a NICE FLAT piece of 1X 2 WOOD and tilt your tAble SQUARE until the end of the 1x2 is PERFECTLY SQUARE when you sand it.Now clamp or screw a 45 degree fence on to your temporary 2 inch table. Now slowly sand your blade guide.No need to ruff it with anything. Sand for 2 seconds dip in water blow off ,repeat, repeat,repeat repeat.This takes longer to type than it does to do. Edwin Dirnbeck

steve-l

Titanium
Check eBay,used ones are often sold there and have been reasonably priced. Further, you should have a set of these (4 ea. = one set) for different band widths anyway.

ratbldr427

Stainless
They are so easy to make I don't know why you would try to regrind them.Those of you that do it on a belt sander must not have carbide faced ones?

When I found out how much they cost I bought some C2 carbide stock from McMaster and brazed them to the blanks I made out of 1018. Did not take long to copy the old ones.

bsg

Titanium
They are so easy to make I don't know why you would try to regrind them.Those of you that do it on a belt sander must not have carbide faced ones?

When I found out how much they cost I bought some C2 carbide stock from McMaster and brazed them to the blanks I made out of 1018. Did not take long to copy the old ones.

It's far easier to regrind them than make new ones.......

Kevin