What's new
What's new

Does anybody recognize this lathe? Ideas on it's weight

jpb4815

Plastic
Hello all, I was recently looking at an auction for some blacksmiths tools I was interested in and saw this lathe. I have been wanting a small lathe to start messing around with and on a whim I threw in a very cheap bid. A week went by and I got an email stating that I actually won the bid, so now I have to go get this thing about 55 minutes away and I am wondering what it weighs. It looks like it is under 200# but I saw someplace else that the old Craftsman lathes are over #800. I know it will take a good deal of work to restore it, but the first step is to get it and I can get no information from the auction house. Just that it is 12" x 7" and a Craftsman. It looks to me like it is a bench top model and as such maybe 75 - 100#.

Thanks in advance for any help you all might give me.

Attachments

• lathe_1.jpeg
    lathe_1.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 38
  • lathe-2.jpeg
    lathe-2.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 38
  • lathe-3.jpeg
    lathe-3.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 38
I did not look up the exact year Sears catalog for that model, probably about 1947. The 1953 catalog for the newer model says 61 pounds without motor. It is 6" swing x 12" between centers and made by Double A Products for Sears. I had the 1953 model in 1953 and I can testify that it is one of the worst lathes ever made. I did use it until I had a job and could buy a better lathe in 1965. The cross and compound feed screws are 24 TPI and there are no indexes to read the amount of feed, to mention two of the major design flaws. The spindle thread is 1/2-20 and it takes 0 Morse taper centers. The spindle is easy to bend, leading to my first lesson in machine repair.

You cannot pay too little for one of these. I have refused to take two of them for free.

Larry

Last edited:
That lathe cannot be talked about here. Read the machinery discussion guidelines.

Greg will be around shortly to lock the thread and probably delete the thread.

Back