What's new
What's new

Does Anyone Here Do Signs? Aluminum Backing Vinyl Lettering

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I am needing several signs, solid aluminum backing (not paper thin aluminum laminated to plastic), approx 1/8" thick, durable as a street sign, white background with black lettering. Sizes and fonts TBD, shipped to Nv. Please contact me if you can do this. Thank you.

Edit: Largest size approx 10-12" tall x 36-40" long, all others will be smaller.

Last edited:
We do stuff like that for equipment we manufacture, and could make them for you, but with shipping you might be better off finding someone local.

There are two approaches we take to stuff like this. The first is to paint/powdercoat the aluminum and then use cut vinyl lettering. The other is to make the black letters on a white background on the sticker and just stick it to your aluminum. We use a super durable thermally printed material. Usually in black on white for most labels, but we've done some cool multicolor ones for some seal cages for NOAA. We were able to do our logo and the NOAA logo in color.

If you want I can quote you them complete, but shipping might be a killer. Alternatively, I could quote you the thermally printed option and you can source the aluminum rectangles locally. Send me a PM with the details if you want me to quote them.

We do stuff like that for equipment we manufacture, and could make them for you, but with shipping you might be better off finding someone local.

There are two approaches we take to stuff like this. The first is to paint/powdercoat the aluminum and then use cut vinyl lettering. The other is to make the black letters on a white background on the sticker and just stick it to your aluminum. We use a super durable thermally printed material. Usually in black on white for most labels, but we've done some cool multicolor ones for some seal cages for NOAA. We were able to do our logo and the NOAA logo in color.

If you want I can quote you them complete, but shipping might be a killer. Alternatively, I could quote you the thermally printed option and you can source the aluminum rectangles locally. Send me a PM with the details if you want me to quote them.
I'll send a PM tomorrow with details. There is no local source for aluminum, its $200 in fuel and an all day drive to get it, shipping is probably cheaper. Cannot find anyone local to do vinyl. 4 can be standard 12" x 18" size and ship together, 5th will need to be shipped alone. All simple text, no graphics.
Thank you.

We've had several custom signs from places like this. Fast and shipped to you.

I looked at signs.com, all they offer in aluminum is .008 thick aluminum bonded to both sides of a plastic backer, probably fine for something temporary.

I just looked at the other site, if I knew how to create the design and upload it, I'd probably just order a printer and do it myself.

Last edited:
I looked at signs.com, all they offer in aluminum is .008 thick aluminum bonded to both sides of a plastic backer, probably fine for something temporary.

If you want to go farther afield, send a pm ... we got more sign shops than carter has liver pills.

btw, you've probably got your heart set on what you want so I won't make suggestions but for indoors, we had a transparent plastic piece routed about .015" deep, then a colored backing went behind, looked really nice. I was a little surprised at how fine the detail could be, coming off a simple router.

dalmationgirl61; how about as above, routed versus printed? I can see paint filled engraving on aluminum, or counter paint of contrasting colors being durable. Another option, vinyl signage, those go all the way from business card to billboard size. I don't know what hand lettering goes for now costwise, but stick-on transfers have all kinds of variety. Do they need match stylistically?
Most depends on font size and letter styles comprised with broad strokes (extra milling time). But many CNC mills now have lettering programs.
Asking for a friend, lol. Time comes, want to see 'departments' in my shop under signs like larger plants had back in the day.

Routed in aluminum would be nice, but it still leaves me in a position where aluminum is not available locally, and neither are any cnc machines, or people that would know how to run one (including me). Vinyl signage of any type is not available either, there was a person last year that said they could print the letters, but I had to provide the aluminum, I think they have moved. As far as I can tell no one here does any type of signage, not printed, hand painted, nothing. I did call places in Vegas, they were not interested in my piddly order. Just need some signage that will be mounted to front fence and front/rear gates, most folks in town are good people, but there are some bored kids, so it needs to be durable. I don't think y'all quite understand how far out in bfe we are, or the lack of goods and services.

We are not familiar with the incredible variety of BFE's; that's a certainty, some far more BF than others. Do you have a metal cutting vertical bandsaw? Cut metal, could make positive or negative stencils. Have a printer....?
I'm not in the machine capital of the world either, alt's might be a plasma cutter, or the guys cutting wood name and address panels. Box it in and fill in 2-part resin?
Tempted PM'ing you, could have them made here or in SoCal, I have a machinery retrieval trip coming up, big stuff, driving both laps. Those few cubic inches won't make any difference.
Would I, of course, your posts are good material here. I've ruckered and pottered a few choice bits.

You could try the guys who make name stick ons for boats
it’s vinyl and last for years
order some aluminum sheet from online metals cut it to right size with
skill saw or a track saw if you have one.
paint it white then stick the letters on.
I cut .125 aluminum with my makita track saw all the time.

more than one way to get it done

Back