What's new
What's new

Does Wal-Mart love U.S. products?

PracticalMan

Super Moderator
Staff member
By Alan Rooks, Editorial Director

Click Here for a free subscription to Cutting Tool Engineering magazine.

Some companies are so big that anything they do makes news. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is one of those firms. So, when the world’s biggest retailer pledged it would buy an additional $50 billion of U.S.-made products over the next decade, I figured I should pay attention. The idea of all those Wal-Marts stuffed with American products is certainly appealing, since they sell A LOT of stuff.

In August, Wal-Mart held a well-publicized summit on its $50 billion idea, with 1,500 government officials, suppliers and retailers in attendance and some big names on the podium. The event’s tagline was “Here’s what we find beautiful: American jobs leading to American prosperity.” And, of course, Mom and apple pie are great, too.

But wait a minute. Isn’t it Wal-Mart that helped engineer the movement to move U.S. manufacturing jobs to China and other low labor-cost countries so they could get things cheap, cheaper and cheapest? Isn’t this the same company that helped kill thousands of mom-and-pop stores and hollow out the main streets of America? And didn’t it sponsor a “Buy America” program in the 1980s at the same time it was moving most of its sourcing overseas? Was this summit just a gimmick to improve Wal-Mart’s public image?

Let’s look at what was said. Bill Simon, president and CEO of Wal-Mart, announced the $50 billion pledge was “just the start.” He said Wal-Mart hopes to build a “network of support” by working with groups like the National Retail Federation, which helps manufacturers make products in the U.S. and helps retailers buy more U.S. goods. “We can’t become solely a service economy,” Simon said. “We have to make things in America.” Hard to disagree with that.

Jeff Immelt, chairman and CEO of General Electric, a panelist, said, “The U.S., on a relative basis, has never been more competitive in my career than it is now.” He announced GE would add 150 jobs to plants in Illinois and Ohio to develop high-efficiency light bulbs that will be sold in Wal-Mart stores in 2014.

OK, sounds good. But what does that $50 billion pledge really mean? After the summit was over, Michael Hlinka, business commentator for Canadian broadcaster CBC, pointed out that with sales of $250 billion a year, $50 billion worth of additional U.S. products over 10 years would equal less than 2 percent of Wal-Mart’s sales over that time period. And Stacy Mitchell, a researcher with the U.S.-based Institute for Local Self-Reliance, claimed that the “buy American” pledge could be met just by Wal-Mart’s “continued takeover of the U.S. grocery business.” Most grocery products sold in the U.S. are produced in the U.S, and Wal-Mart will be buying more of those products, particularly produce, as it takes market share from other grocers, she said.

So, some skepticism is in order. But if we take Wal-Mart at its word that the $50 billion pledge is just the beginning, its initiative could make a difference. Several manufacturers made job-related announcements at the summit. Hampton Products International Corp., a maker of locks, lighting and automotive products, is adding 150 jobs at a Wisconsin facility. Apparel maker Kayser-Roth Corp. is hiring 100 new employees in North Carolina and investing $28 million in manufacturing plants. And Element Electronics Corp. will start making TVs in Winnsboro, S.C., creating 500 jobs.

The truth is that the U.S. reshoring movement has some legs. It is more cost-effective to make products in the U.S. than in years past due to lower labor costs, lower labor input (automation), cheaper energy and better logistics. Wal-Mart has read the writing on the wall and wants to be seen as leading the reshoring movement, even though they’ve had little to do with it until now. But if their sourcing really does lead to more U.S. goods being sold in Wal-Mart, that’s a good thing.

Still, manufacturing is always changing. GE may be creating jobs with the lighting plants in Illinois and Ohio, but it is also closing a different lighting factory in Ohio, cutting 80 jobs, according to Bloomberg News. If it happens, any real recovery in U.S. manufacturing jobs will take years to achieve, so let’s put off the celebration until then. CTE

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Click Here for a free subscription to Cutting Tool Engineering magazine.

*This article is reprinted with permission from CUTTING TOOL ENGINEERING Magazine, and is protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. CUTTING TOOL ENGINEERING Magazine is protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. Before reproducing anything from this Web site, call the Copyright Clearance Center Inc. at (978) 750-8400.

Given that most goods sold in Walmart are of the rubber-ducky variety, reshoring US manufacturing in a Walmart context would have to mean reshoring the manufacture of injection molds, which ain't gonna happen. I'm trying to think of a single thing on the shelves in a Walmart that is directly produced by machining. Garden hose nozzles, maybe? Even Walmart's groceries are increasingly sourced from China. Simon cannot be taken seriously by anyone with a higher IQ than a Walmart customer.

Walmart's mission is providing good enough quality, at the lowest price possible, to the largest portion of the consuming public. The firm has the purchasing power to encourage production of it's stuff wherever that production is most cost efficient. Since half of the consuming public does not produce any salable good or service for trade in our economy, they do not care whether the stuff they need or want is made in this country or not. Eleven states in our country have more people on public assistance than they have people with jobs. These people on public assistance have more disposable income than those who are working. There is almost zero incentive present to help industry develop in this country. A tee shirt made by a US worker in North Carolina is the best tee shirt available, but it costs $9 at retail. The same tee shirt, made off-shore, retails at $4. On top of that, the US worker that produces that garment makes less money working than they would make on public assistance. Until this incredible imbalance is corrected, we should be happy that Walmart is selling what we need, at a price we can pay, for now. Regards, Clark

How many people who work at Wal-Mart can afford to shop there when they are making $8 bucks and hour?, and are poor enough to qualify for their state’s Medicaid program to get healthcare. I won’t step foot in a Wal-Mart, all it is doing is helping the Walton family exploit America.

There are many reasons to like or dislke Wal Mart.....I have tended to ignore them all until this last weekend. My wife and I were at Wal Mart and saw a sign that said they would be open 7 days a week, 24 hours per day through the holidays. For me that is too much.......I am not an activist....I dislike activist' most of them need a shower. Initially we decided that we would not buy a single item from Wal mart through Christmas.....then we took it up a notch and decided we are done with them all together.

Wal-Mart INVESTORS love profit, its about the investors. If Sam was still alive, it would be a different company. Tim

I would love to boycott Walmart if they hadn't basically run every other competitor out of business including Kmart here( which was no better). All done complicity with local governments subsiding tax base, etc. Practically everything you see in the super powers including Home Depot and Lowe's gets all they can from oversees.Consumers could care less.Government loves breaking your spirit of US made comradre. Walmart owns no merchandise . Pays for it when sold and if your price can be beat by 1 penny will throw a contract under the bus in a heart beat. Buy US when it can Pfffft. Buys US when it can't get it anywhere else cheaper ;Period !!! The beginning of the end for capitalism if quality counts.

A friends family used to supply walmart with the flowers for their garden centers. More and more of their production went to wallmart every year. Eventually they relied too much on wallyworld and then the buyers decided they wanted to pay 1/3 less, on produce that they were only making a few % on. Long story short they were nearly put out of business. Over 100 were put out of work. As a company they have never recovered and are just barely making it. Now all the potted plants sold at ww are owned and maintained at the stores by the grower. They only get paid when the sku is read at check out. walmart risks nothing, they can only profit from the arraignment. That said my son works at a walmart distribution center un loading and loading trucks. He would love to quit but is making 18.00 / hr and has health care, as of now he has not been able to find anything that will pay the same money. He is going to school and has a wife and kid to support so every penny counts. Anyone who deals with walmart needs to know they are dealing with the devil and chances are you will get burned.

A friends family used to supply walmart with the flowers for their garden centers. More and more of their production went to wallmart every year. Eventually they relied too much on wallyworld and then the buyers decided they wanted to pay 1/3 less, on produce that they were only making a few % on. Long story short they were nearly put out of business. Over 100 were put out of work. As a company they have never recovered and are just barely making it. Now all the potted plants sold at ww are owned and maintained at the stores by the grower. They only get paid when the sku is read at check out. walmart risks nothing, they can only profit from the arraignment. That said my son works at a walmart distribution center un loading and loading trucks. He would love to quit but is making 18.00 / hr and has health care, as of now he has not been able to find anything that will pay the same money. He is going to school and has a wife and kid to support so every penny counts. Anyone who deals with walmart needs to know they are dealing with the devil and chances are you will get burned.

18/hr for what amounts to unskilled work? what does he have to complain about? It also kind of shits on this meme that walmart pays peanuts.

I would love to boycott Walmart if they hadn't basically run every other competitor out of business including Kmart ...

No love for them but what would you do different?
Isn't this the basic desire of every owner?
Nobody here gets work without stealing it from someone else.
Every single part in your shop is short cutting somebody somewhere.

You slit the other guy's throat and pull it to your people.
Your guys win, somebody losses, and has to lay off people.
T'is the game. It is not nice but the way it works.
Bob

18/hr for what amounts to unskilled work? what does he have to complain about? It also kind of shits on this meme that walmart pays peanuts.

He is not complaining about the pay, the only issue is he is going to school for some sort of computer degree and he will have to take a cut in pay for a year or two and with the wife and kid, house etc. it is hard to do.

He is not complaining about the pay, the only issue is he is going to school for some sort of computer degree and he will have to take a cut in pay for a year or two and with the wife and kid, house etc. it is hard to do.

So walmart is paying MORE, for unskilled labor, than others pay for work requiring some kind of degree?

Careful, some union fuckwit is going to shoot up your house like my dad's union 'brothers' did to ours when he didn't tow the line. Can't have pesky facts that not all walmart employees are exploited getting out, now can we?

The Walmart issue sounds like our economy in action. They are successful because we buy from them. If we don't like the products or the seller - DON'T BUY FROM THEM ! If we don't buy their products they will cease to exist (plain and simple). It's not rocket science. It appears that they are offering products at a price affordable to all income levels. Sounds like that the pay is nominal at $18.00/hr for unskilled labor. The unions and our government have allowed offshore products to be brought in and sold in their stores. Higher import tarriffs would make offshore products more competitive with American goods. The problem is that we have allowed the American factories to disappear. We do not have the capacity to produce. Our economy has become a "service" industry. Walmart will get away with whatever they are allowed. Plain and simple! We shouldn't complain, just don't buy from them if we don't like it.

The Walmart issue sounds like our economy in action. They are successful because we buy from them. If we don't like the products or the seller - DON'T BUY FROM THEM ! If we don't buy their products they will cease to exist (plain and simple). It's not rocket science. It appears that they are offering products at a price affordable to all income levels. Sounds like that the pay is nominal at $18.00/hr for unskilled labor. The unions and our government have allowed offshore products to be brought in and sold in their stores. Higher import tarriffs would make offshore products more competitive with American goods. The problem is that we have allowed the American factories to disappear. We do not have the capacity to produce. Our economy has become a "service" industry. Walmart will get away with whatever they are allowed. Plain and simple! We shouldn't complain, just don't buy from them if we don't like it.
I am not disagreeing with your post.......I just want to point out that all the "powers that be" for the last 3 decades or so have been trumpetting in the "service economy". They have wanted to change us to a service economy because that is all they know. When I say "they", I am referring to politicians, teachers, bankers, investors etc..... Often when people think of manufacturing they think of the sweat shops from the '30s.....they think of child labor and a bunch of sweaty guys working a forge.....pretty sad. I think the desire by many to get paid alot of $ for very little actual labor is what has driven us to an economy that does not value labor or quality.

Back