What's new
What's new

Doing homework on new five axis

shovelhead88

Plastic
Hey everyone, were looking to get into five axis at the shop Im at, we are going out to look at a DMG Mori cmx 50 u with a pallet pool next month. We are not yet dead set on this machine as all of our mills are okuma and also going to look into that option as well. I have quite a bit of five axis behind me but only on haas. Looking for some insight/ opinions on DMG or others for the matter. Id also like to take a look into makino. Our part are typical not very big maybe 6x6". Any opinion or insight or things to look for would be great. Thanks, Tyler

You will get a hand full of opinions here, some will say, DMG, some will say they suck, some will say, Mikron, Makino, Kern, Hermle, how much money do you have, how much A and C axis travel do you need, and what are your tolerances? This will narrow your list down.

What are your tightest part tolerances/geometries, and what is your location. Service should be a big driver of your decision.

6” cube parts on a CMX 50 is like taking a baseball to a ping pong match.

While I am biased as I work there- the Speedio U500 is absolutely worth looking at. 500mm part swing, 62” wide, and all the speed, accuracy, and reliability Brother is know for. You can probably buy 2 of them for what DMG wants- think well under $190k with probes and TSC. Big+ and the Big Wheel turret with 28 tools are standard.

We don’t do employee discounts, but early next year, my plan is to sell my S700 for one.

Matsuura MX330 PC10 might fit you as well. Good economical machine, nothing fancy.

It seems like only a matter of time before Brother comes out with a full 5 axis simultaneous machine.

It seems like only a matter of time before Brother comes out with a full 5 axis simultaneous machine.
They have!
The M200 is now full 5 axis with TCPC and all the fixings. The S series machines can now be ordered with the full 5 control, but it needs to be that way from the factory.

The U500 probably won’t ever be full 5 due to the construction. To swing a 500mm diameter workpiece with the required dynamics would require much bigger drives and by the time you do that, the price goes up and the size goes up. It is pretty well established that 90% of 5 axis parts are really 3+2, but the market is saturated with $300k+ dynamic full 5 axis options. Brother consciously traded that 10% in favor of a small footprint, very fast non-cut times, and way lower price.

Back