What's new
What's new

Dong Yang (LS Clone) way wipers

jwatts

Hot Rolled
I'm in the process of getting a Dong Yang lathe up and running. In cleaning up the way wipers I found out that they are not felt like I suspected. The ones on the carriage are a fairly hard plastic (maybe used to be soft?) with a lip that rides against the ways. The tailstock wipers do have felts, but also some thin metal scrapers as well (looks like copper). Anyone have experience with how well these work, particularly old ones? I can always replace them with felt wipers like my other lathe has, but figured I'd see if anyone has experience with these first.

Thanks, but this isn't a CNC machine. I found a company making 3D printed replacement wipers in the same style as the originals and am probably going to try out a set. I'll post back her with my experience.

I received a set of the 3D printed way wipers from Farm Boy Sales a week or two ago. The V and flat wipers fit snugly and from my very limited experience so far seem to be doing their job. The wipers for the wider front way didn't fit, but I think that is more due to slight variations between model (Dong Yang vs. Okuma) than with the maker. He also provided felts for the tailstock, and tried to print some scrapers for the tailstock ways as well. This is the tailstock that lifts and rolls when unlocked. I'm trying them out as well.

I received a set of the 3D printed way wipers from Farm Boy Sales a week or two ago. The V and flat wipers fit snugly and from my very limited experience so far seem to be doing their job. The wipers for the wider front way didn't fit, but I think that is more due to slight variations between model (Dong Yang vs. Okuma) than with the maker. He also provided felts for the tailstock, and tried to print some scrapers for the tailstock ways as well. This is the tailstock that lifts and rolls when unlocked. I'm trying them out as well.
I got a set from
Same here.
Just got a set of wipers for my Okuma LS from Dennis (mech eng) at Farm Boy sales. Out of stock way wipers… it’s a neglected market and he’s done a great job.
They fit like a printed glove. I’ll be dealing with him again!

I got a set from

Same here.
Just got a set of wipers for my Okuma LS from Dennis (mech eng) at Farm Boy sales. Out of stock way wipers… it’s a neglected market and he’s done a great job.
They fit like a printed glove. I’ll be dealing with him again!
I finally got my first set installed on the LS I am rebuilding, I agree they are very well done and fit the Okuma version perfectly.
I am contacting him about making the cross slide wiper and tail stock wipers as well, as this kit only contains the wipers for the carriage.

Back