What's new
What's new

Don't Forget Your Annual FLU Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the guys in my fire company is an antivaxxer...guess who tested positive today lol...I'm gonna get tested at work tomorrow just in case, not looking to get my 2yo infected.

Maybe we take too many drugs to try to fix things.
This or that and go to the doctor to get a pill to take.
Yet I got the two pokes and will get the booster next month.
For sure most are mild.
I do not want to be the petri dish that makes the new variant and patient zero because my immune system good and it says okay, I can deal with that and I have a trick.
Bob

One of the guys in my fire company is an antivaxxer...guess who tested positive today lol...I'm gonna get tested at work tomorrow just in case, not looking to get my 2yo infected.

Crap, My daughter had an exposure two weeks or so ago. She did not get infected even though she was not yet boosted. Keep your fingers crossed.

I normally stay out of these shit-holes. For this one, just a comment.

I know about 10 people who got covid. Of the 10, one is dead, one has permanently lost the sense of smell. The rest were mostly younger, and varied, some had to go to the hospital, most of the 20 yo were just sicker than they had ever been before from anything, and don't want that ever again.

You know what? I don't want to get the damn disease. The 20% bad outcomes is just not a good bet in my mind. And, no, I do NOT want to be "that sick".

So I got the Pfizer two. Got a Moderna booster. Why the hell not? It's not gonna cost you anything. It's even the result of a Trump program. Trump got the vaccine, and booster himself. Better results with that program than that wall that folks just climb over.

If it lowers the odds, I'm good with that, and out of the hundreds of millions getting the vaccines, a hell of a lot less than 20% had anything more than just temporary annoying soreness. Against that I have 20% of the folks I know who had very bad results from getting covid.

It's a straight-up odds deal. And I like the odds after being vaccinated. I'd like to keep smelling my coffee and beer.

All the folks not getting the vaccine are being"sheeple", following crazy talk by folks many of whom DID get the vaccine, but don't want you to know that. I don't know just why they are telling people not to get it, when they themselves got it. Whatever the reason, it's doubletalk.

A certain predictable percentage of people who refused the vaccine will have that be their last act. Plenty already did, and most were sorry they were stupid about it, while they could still talk.

Oh, yeah... that immunity thing. It's a coronavirus.... related to things you can get over and over. Like colds.... many of those are coronaviruses also. (the 'flu is NOT a coronavirus). You may get somewhat immune to one of them, but then one of the other variants gits ya.

Some people have gotten covid two or even three times, relying on "natural immunity" and no vaccine. I know at least one who has had it twice (and still no vaccine).

The nice thing about the Pfizer and Moderna is that they do NOT immunize against a coronavirus. They immunize against anything that has the same sort of "spike proteins", which means they cover many variants, not just one. Might even cut down on colds from other types of coronavirus......

First, thanks for the reminder.

In general, I believe vaccines are a good idea. In the current Covid 19 situation I am neither totally against nor totally for the vaccine. I understand both sides and my advise is to TALK TO YOUR OWN, PERSONAL DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR OWN, PERSONAL SITUATION. That is exactly what I did. In fact, I not only talked to my GP, but to two other doctors who I see regularly. And, in my, personal case, all three of them advised ME to get the shots. So I did.

But your situation may be different. There are side effects to the vaccines just as there are side effects to every medication, even the OTC ones. Just plain, old aspirin has side effects. As a general statement, I do not think the side effects of the current Covid 19 vaccines are worse than those of Covid 19 itself. IN GENERAL, most people are taking less of a chance with the vaccine than with Covid 19 or any of it's variations. But that is a general statement and it does not apply to everyone.

So my advise is to TALK TO YOUR OWN DOCTOR who knows your health condition. And follow his/her advise or at least give it a lot of consideration.

I recently had a visit with my doctor. He gave me the seasonal flu shot. And he reaffirmed his earlier advise when I asked if I should take the third, booster shot. I hope to get that shot this or next week.

Is this "my doctor" some sort of "social status" thing like "my private jet" or "my mistress".. or what?

Buggers are no more special than plumbers, house painters, or arborists.
Other than trending towards being LESS up to date with the knowledge of their craft.

If you can't do your own plumbing, painting, three felling.. you check the local listings then ask around as to references.

Then you train one for the project. So they do as they are told. As with any OTHER contractor. Why TF would you hire ANY contractor who won't take instructions?

Once done with a "project", the need has passed.

They will probably have retired or died before the next need.

What am I missing?

Oh, yeah... that immunity thing. It's a coronavirus.... related to things you can get over and over. Like colds.... many of those are coronaviruses also. (the 'flu is NOT a coronavirus). You may get somewhat immune to one of them, but then one of the other variants gits ya.

Some people have gotten covid two or even three times, relying on "natural immunity" and no vaccine. I know at least one who has had it twice (and still no vaccine).

The nice thing about the Pfizer and Moderna is that they do NOT immunize against a coronavirus. They immunize against anything that has the same sort of "spike proteins", which means they cover many variants, not just one. Might even cut down on colds from other types of coronavirus......

A year and 1/2 ago I mentioned that of the several hundred viruses that cause what is called the "common cold" a number are corona viruses. These corona viral colds are the ones that produce no lasting immunity. Other colds will produce lifetime immunity and you will never get them again. This covid thing can be so hard on the system the second and third infections wreck even more damage than the first.

I too have wondered if these 2 mRNA vaccines would give immunity to other corona viruses. Besides the colds you mentioned cattle get a number of corona viruses. There are a lot of them out there. This new omicron variant is supposed to be the result of someone catching a corona cold and covid 19 at the same time, one cell with both viral agents and an exchange of genetic material happened.

Talking to your doctor about what to do is probably the worst advice I have seen so far! I have two friends who are doctors and they admit that most of their training was to identify the disease and than prescribe a pill to hopefully fix it. No other option is allowed. Most of the people I know my age or older are on blood thinners, statin drugs or high blood pressure meds. Doing anything to fix the problem other than drugs is not even considered.

My last fun with stupid doctors was me injuring my knee at work. I hopped across the parking lot on one leg in 90 degrees to get to his office and was sweating profusely and out of breath. My blood pressure was through the roof. I was prescribed a blood pressure medicine that I had to take for life. I did not fill the prescription and the next day it was back to normal. The next visit he said now that you are taking the pill your blood pressure is much better. I said I never took the pill. Six months later my wife got me a different doctor.

Also no one has mentioned that many, many people who have been vaccinated for COVID still get it and die?

Anyway, I am done with this topic. Back to interesting posts like why can't my Harbor Freight lathe hold .000001" on a part?

Anyway, I am done with this topic. Back to interesting posts like why can't my Harbor Freight lathe hold .000001" on a part?

Ermmm. well.. Kaliphoney-yah SSR?

Having had the "privilege" of experiencing the Loma Prieta quake?

I doubt a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier would be heavy enough a paper-weight to "hold" a part of that dimension.

Might have better luck with crazy glue or neo-dime-yerass magnets than a Whorer-Fright LSO?

:D

Ah Sami, you stirrer!

Got mine 6 months ago, problem is, they weren't exactly sure what flus were going to be faced then - and probably less sure now, with so few cases worldwide for the last 18 months.

Laverda said:
Talking to your doctor about what to do is probably the worst advice I have seen so far!

Yep, forum, social media or YT health advice is the gold standard. :D

You can go fuck yourself and the horse you rode in on, .......bottle nosed fuck pig.

LOL, just pointing out the obvious. A little late to be playing innocent bystander when you start this shit-stirring thread every year.

Kindly tell us more about your dietary and health habits so we might benefit from knowing what NOT to do.

Talking to your doctor about what to do is probably the worst advice I have seen so far! I have two friends who are doctors and they admit that most of their training was to identify the disease and than prescribe a pill to hopefully fix it.

Yah, everyone knows that the best place to get medical advice is on a machinists' website. Those machininsts are a bunch real good healers. Why some of them even know DOCTORS who tell them the inside dope! Wow!

Denis

LOL, just pointing out the obvious. A little late to be playing innocent bystander when you start this shit-stirring thread every year.
Kindly tell us more about your dietary and health habits so we might benefit from knowing what NOT to do.

Your lack of respect for others is talking and it does not say good things.
There is nothing worse that the you got cancer and I did not so that makes me better.
This makes you the lowest humanity has to offer.
Bob

Yah, everyone knows that the best place to get medical advice is on a machinists' website. Those machininsts are a bunch real good healers. Why some of them even know DOCTORS who tell them the inside dope! Wow!

Denis

The irony is that many people have a wandering path thru life and are able to learn and accomplish more than just one task. As some are aware, there are multiple people on just this site who are both machinists and doctors, and who have gently tried to encourage people to do the right thing and get immunized. Maybe some folks have listened to well meant advice and gotten the jab. I’m glad for anyone who is able to take advantage of Katelin Kareko’s lifesaving work.

L7

Denis

Maybe we need to find an immunologist and get some advice on holding 50 millionths on a spindle runout :), see who does better. But seriously, most of the folks on this site think they know better than the docs who spent decades looking at the behavior of germs and bugs infecting us.

The irony is that many people have a wandering path thru life and are able to learn and accomplish more than just one task. As some are aware, there are multiple people on just this site who are both machinists and doctors, and who have gently tried to encourage people to do the right thing and get immunized. Maybe some folks have listened to well meant advice and gotten the jab. I’m glad for anyone who is able to take advantage of Katelin Kareko’s lifesaving work.

L7

Those damned spellings of Hungarian names :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/01/katalin-kariko-covid-vaccines/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back