What's new
What's new

Don't put your hands where you should not.

I only start a tractor by sitting in the seat.
I'm guilty.....
From time to time I start mine from the ground if I want to adjust the front end loader, up down or curl.
From the ground the interlock protected F-N-R lever is on the opposite side of the tractor from the start switch so to save time and effort I trust the interlock.
I know better.
I promise I will never do that again.
This is likely the most important post I've read here. Thanks.........Bob

To my way of thinking the conveyor needs to run longer. If there is no way to change the time it runs, contact the machine builder. You almost had a very serious injury, they should be willing to work with you on the solution, even if they have to modify their control software. And, still keep the rakes and enforce no reaching past the guard.

Dennis
There's a parameter to do just that.

She's lucky.

When I was a kid i saw my dad get his thumb pulled through a gearbox on a Barber-Coleman gear hobber. I think I was around 6 when it happened. He wrapped it in a rag and drove himself to the hospital - in his Buick Riviera with a floor shifter... The E.R. nurse had a fit, and he just waved her off and told her to "patch it up."

He was back playing Hammond organ at nights, within a week or two.

"Don't put your hands where you should not."
If only I had a nickle for each time I was told this.

As a kid I asked why Grandpa did not have five fingers on one hand.
Turns out a gear hobber ate it. Worse yet the company then fired him since he could not use his hand while healing.

How often have we all been "almost bit" and we still do stuff we should not.
Bob

I hate how machinery rarely has any sort of e-stop recovery designed to release pinch points. For example, our press brake has a safety feature where if you stomp hard on the pedal (a natural response to pain) it trips e-stop. You have to physically walk around the back of the machine to push a reset button (designed so you have to check the back side of the machine where a light curtain is) in order to start the hydraulics again.

So if you get pinched in the brake, you are stuck there until someone frees you. What should happen is a big "Emergency stop. Press hard on Up pedal for emergency ram return" with some smaller guide options for quickly retracting the backgauge.

Used to be common for T Fords to run over drivers..........the secret was to put your shoulder against the radiator,and resist the push as the engine fired.
I know those had planetary gears and wooden shoes that bit into the sun gears to stop them and force them to transfer torque. Would the inherent drag on the sun gears, even when no gear was selected, result in the vehicle driving on it's own? I had a forklift with a similar issue.

RAH once had a blurb in one of his books (time enough for love?) that detailed starting a model T. First step is to block the wheels.

Glad she is gonna be ok.

Saw a guy run the tang of a file completely into the palm of his hand, right up to where the file starts. Got tangled up in a lathe chuck. That's why they say never use a file without a handle.

What the hell is it with people screaming? Nothing worse than when a woman starts screaming. Except when a man starts screaming, that's worse. If you're stuck, or in pain, just shut your ass up unless no one knows of your predicament and your screams are meant to attract attention. Otherwise...guess what? Your screaming ain't helpin'.

What the hell is it with people screaming? Nothing worse than when a woman starts screaming. Except when a man starts screaming, that's worse. If you're stuck, or in pain, just shut your ass up unless no one knows of your predicament and your screams are meant to attract attention. Otherwise...guess what? Your screaming ain't helpin'.

Back before we started locking the shop we had a lot of unnecessary traffic. One of our machinists was cutting a large bar at a pretty good clip maybe 1/4" deep and one of the guys from the stripping dept came up behind him and while watching the 6-8" stringers flying off reached over and grabbed one while saying "is that how you make spriNNNNNNGS!"

Deere tractors have an interlock on the shifter to prevent starting in gear. The interlock gets out of adjustment from wear, so it won't start out of gear either. Well, the starter is right there outside the door. Its easier to short out the starter and force it to crank than adjust the safety. Quite a few people have forgotten to put the shifter into park before starting and died as a result. Earlier tractors had mechanical clutches, so the starter would try to roll the tractor, giving a small warning you were about to get ran over. Starting in 1973, the clutch is hydraulic. No tractor movement until the hydraulic system pressures up, then the engine is well at idle so the tractor immediately moves quickly. There are plastic guards to cover the terminals, but those usually get discarded because they also cover the best place to connect jumper cables.

The boss daughter was walking thru the shop and got maybe one or two of her long blonde hairs caught in a drill spindle..........should of heard the screaming
Either she has some LONG hair, or she was way too close.

I used to work with a greasy, dirty, longhaired guy in the shop. The first time the boss made him wear it in a pony tail the kid wasn't very happy but even a South Bend can ruin your day if it pulls your head into the it.

That was also the same guy that would rust anything he touched. Any ground surface that wasn't heavily oiled would rust within hours of him touching it. He was pretty gross, come to think of it.

Either she has some LONG hair, or she was way too close.

I used to work with a greasy, dirty, longhaired guy in the shop. The first time the boss made him wear it in a pony tail the kid wasn't very happy but even a South Bend can ruin your day if it pulls your head into the it.

That was also the same guy that would rust anything he touched. Any ground surface that wasn't heavily oiled would rust within hours of him touching it. He was pretty gross, come to think of it.

Have a chum that had a guy with a pony tail, and [somehow] it got caught in the lead screw on a small engine lathe and started winding him in.
Blows my mind, but it stalled the motor at the last second.

Had another lady near here that got a pony tail caught in a drill press (?) in the early 80's.
Scalped her, but she lived.

A fella that I bought a machine from, got his pony tail caught in the spinning tool of a HMC.
(presumably setting it up / touching off or whatnot)
Scalped and broke his neck.

I would MUCH rather have hair loose as all bundled up, but it should not be in the shop at all in either case.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I have the same curse. It is incredibly annoying but has nothing to do with hygiene.
Naturally, it's called the "ruster" problem, and is due to the chloride level in the sweat, which is genetically determined.

There is a parallel: People applying for jobs in industrial clean rooms have to pass a simple test: They are handed a polished piece of oxygen-free pure copper to handle bare-handed for a minute or so. Some people will stain the copper sample black. I don't know the current name of this test, but such people were called "stainers". They do not get the job.

Back