What's new
What's new

Doosan 2022 Lynx 2100LB lathe for my garage... should I get a chip conveyor?

My bad back appreciates that my fixed headstock lathe has a chip conveyor. Anything that makes the job easier your body will appreciate when you get older.

I have small shop too, around 2000 sqft. I decided not to use the conveyor on my Mazak qt10 just so I could optimize layout of rest of shop. Most my parts are fairly small so hasnt been too much of a problem. We did one job couple years ago that produced about 60 drums of chips. Conveyor would have been handy on that one, but still got through it without too much trouble. Only takes few mins to shovel out machine.

If you decide to skip conveyor, dont let chips build up too much. Stingy chips can wrap around chuck and suck in the whole nest in bottom of machine causing major problems!

Absolutely, get the conveyor with a CNC lathe. The hours saved shoveling over a 5-year payback makes the conveyor essentially free!

And after that, a conveyor makes you money not having to shovel!

I put inverter controls on mine, so I can fine-tune the ideal speed, with FWD/REV control via toggle switch at the machine control.

Beautiful shop btw, show us more as time goes on!

ToolCat Greg

My bad back appreciates that my fixed headstock lathe has a chip conveyor. Anything that makes the job easier your body will appreciate when you get older.

This would be my suggestion. It will also be easier to sell the machine years from now.

+1 on the conveyor as a must

also consider upgrading the coolant pump a notch. I think ~150psi is the one step up from standard gear and that's probably the minimum to blast chips out of deep holes.

also a mist collector, either aftermarket or what your distributor recommends, but not the crap Haas puts on their machine. For a lathe that's vaporizing coolant it has to be HEPA level filtration.

As a side note, assuming the Lynx is similar to the Puma's coolant/chip management system, it won't be great. Our tank is full of chips after just a few months of running the machine on small jobs. I know I'm opening up an entire can of worms here but I dare say the modern Haas lathe coolant/chip management might be better. In general you shouldn't count out the Haas. Our Doosan doesn't seem any more productive than the Haas right next to it. If you are already used to the Haas NGC, Doosan Fanuc will feel like the stone age. I still think the Doosan is a nice machine but the price matches what you get.

I've had zero issues of chips getting in the coolant tank on my Lynx 2100. Maybe the setup is different on the previous model or the old puma's.
The 145 psi is a good addition but doing it again or if I ever get another lathe I'd rather have 2 pumps, a regular low pressure high flow for turning, then a 200-300PSI for drilling.
Although the 145psi is working fine for drilling, a bit more pressure it always better. But it turns into a problem for foaming when just turning so it was a bit of a nightmare finding the right coolant, and I put a bypass on my 145psi pump so when I'm just turning I slower the pressure/flow, and close the valve when I'm drilling keep holes with coolant thru.
The first 2 coolants I tried turned it into a bathtub in seconds and had to stop running it was overflowing.

My shop is only 500 sq/ft and I made it a point to install the chip conveyor on my small Mazak CNC Lathe. I was unable to install the chip conveyor in my big Mazak CNC lathe due to space issues. Get the conveyor. Lathes make a lot of chips.

Whatever your layout, ensure you can fully remove the conveyor from both machines.
Does the Doosan conveyor come out end only - or can it come straight out the front?
Makes a big difference for install and cleaning!

The Doosan conveyor (actually an LNS or other) is attached to the machine chassis. The roll out coolant tank slides out underneath it, so the conveyor stays in place.

Our Puma is a 2021 with standard LNS, lots of fines in the thank. It's to be expected. There isn't anything that would stop them. The Haas at least has that basket with the net.

Our Puma is a 2021 with standard LNS, lots of fines in the thank. It's to be expected. There isn't anything that would stop them. The Haas at least has that basket with the net.

There are different conveyor options to eliminate the aluminum fines getting into the coolant. From LNS, Mayfran, and others.

When I got a quote on a lynx with y axis and sub spindle they also included a parts conveyor as standard.

Around how much was your quote? Ended up getting an integrex instead and the only thing I regret is the fact that now I’m so in love with that platform I can’t see myself getting anything else

I turn loads of delrin/acetal and my QTN250MSY and VTC200 were both specified without a conveyor. After a month of using the lathe I removed the entire chip pan and put 3 plastic bins in its place. Parts and swarf drop into the bins and I just switch them out when full. There is a shop vac assigned to the lathe to keep up with the mess. The mill is also all plastic and I get about a 8 full hours before cleanout. Big bin with a 9 tine pitch fork first. Then switch to a 3hp Powermatic dust collector with 4" hose and wand. I made drum toppers so the dust sucker pulls the chips into a drum. The bags on the collector are a PITA to change and also not that big. Pricy too. VTC cleanout takes about 20 minutes.

Do you have the room to put the machines in an L shape, but the opposite of how you did it so that you work "inside" of the angle? That way you can corner off your machine shop area and keep everything contained but you can still have the conveyors together.

Do you have the room to put the machines in an L shape, but the opposite of how you did it so that you work "inside" of the angle? That way you can corner off your machine shop area and keep everything contained but you can still have the conveyors together.
ztwyQ8F.jpg

ztwyQ8F

rPNcfZZ.jpg

0CmhTbx.jpg

Qhki00f.jpg

QPMRTda.jpg

ltSfuLS.jpg

TiieNvu.jpg

cY66Tje.jpg

PNYtRQm.jpg

Back