What's new
What's new

Doosan Machine Tools changes name to DN Solutions

Locknut machine tools would have been much better then DN soloutions. lol
We had a running bet here. Never came to mind that it would settle on what they chose. We were kind of hoping they would go with Puma Machine Tools. But, I think, and rightfully so, they had a bigger picture in mind than just a machine tool company.

We had a running bet here. Never came to mind that it would settle on what they chose. We were kind of hoping they would go with Puma Machine Tools. But, I think, and rightfully so, they had a bigger picture in mind than just a machine tool company.
At least Puma would of given them some brand recognition. If they had other things in mind they could of had the machine tool brand a division of DN soloutions. I still miss the name Doosan. Maybe it was impossible to keep it, but its going to create a lot of confusion and lost sales. The old name sounded cool too. lol.

On another note, Have you heard anything on a Lynx 2600 2 axis lathe? Heard this model might be coming very soon, any update on this? This would be great fit for me. Not much of anything else out there in a lighter duty 10 inch chuck machine with medium length Z travel (~30 inch).

Allegedly the "Puma" name was unavailable.

If i google DN solutions, I dont get a link to the machine tool company until page 2 on google, someone in their marketing department needs to do better.
I think the new URL is DN-Solutions.com Many of the google pointers still refer to Doosan, and probably will for a little while.

Well I’m not scraping off all the old badging like Titan did. He seemed way more excited about the change than he should’ve been. I guess boho business names I could pretend to be excited about selling out if free machines kept arriving at my shop every other week.
This has been in the works for more than a year. You may have observed that the generic "Puma" emblem has progressively taken the place of the name "Doosan." Nothing significant will change. For us, the past two years have been record-breaking in terms of sales and earnings. However, there will be opponents. Too much debt, to quote Doug, Like he knows something that others don't. Few businesses would invest in a company that was buried in debt. So we continue. Time will ultimately tell.

This has been in the works for more than a year. You may have observed that the generic "Puma" emblem has progressively taken the place of the name "Doosan." Nothing significant will change. For us, the past two years have been record-breaking in terms of sales and earnings. However, there will be opponents. Too much debt, to quote Doug, Like he knows something that others don't. Few businesses would invest in a company that was buried in debt. So we continue. Time will ultimately tell.
I think he was just venturing a guess as to the company's condition of sale.
That I knew, the company was not only sound, but doing quite well. Last place I worked at had just bought two new lathes and was very satisfied. They also had an older Puma that was still giving good service.

Who owes how much to whom on what terms is what matters for debt. What returns the operating entity is making is key to value over time. For all I know (zilch) Doosan group sold off DN solutions to cover a debt somewhere else - doesn't mean DN isn't a sound business. Likewise, the group that acquired them may have used a lot of debt, that's no different than somebody using a margin loan to buy a stock - that particular owner may do well, or may sell under pressure - but those are independent of the organic profitability of the operating unit.

At IMTS DN had a lot of competitive looking machines in their booth (a couple of which I was looking at carefully) and there was huge activity there any time I was there.

None of that informs, either pro or con, whether one should buy one of their machines.

DN solutions is a dumb fucking name. DN solutions is the name of atleast a couple long standing, big manufacturing businesses. So you google for contact info and you sure don't get Daewoo/Doosan/DN-whateverthefuckitisnow.

Had some questions about my old Puma lathe last week. The poor desk gal answering the phones had no idea where to transfer my call. Took a couple minutes for her to explain the DN solutions I called was a machine shop, not an MTB.

I ended up just calling Fanuc. They were super helpful.

DN solutions is a dumb fucking name. DN solutions is the name of atleast a couple long standing, big manufacturing businesses. So you google for contact info and you sure don't get Daewoo/Doosan/DN-whateverthefuckitisnow.

Had some questions about my old Puma lathe last week. The poor desk gal answering the phones had no idea where to transfer my call. Took a couple minutes for her to explain the DN solutions I called was a machine shop, not an MTB.

I ended up just calling Fanuc. They were super helpful.
Agreed. Most of the distributors were a little slack jawed when they made the announcement of the new name. When the bank sold the company, they didn't sell the rights to the Doosan name, and there was a deadline to change it. Looks like they wanted til the last minute.

I also really liked the name doosan. I know it's a Korean firm but to me it sounded like Mr. Do in Japanese . Do san. Like the machine is a do'er - Mr. Do

Back