What's new
What's new

Doosan SMX2600S Overcurrent alarm SP9012

EKrol

Aluminum
Hello everyone,

We have a problem with our smx2600. Sometimes when accelerating the milling spindle the machine comes up with the alarm "SP9012 (S2) OVERCURRENT POWER CIRCUIT"
Sometimes it's multiple times a day and sometimes not for months. Fanuc already been here and could not find anything. Even just after the machine alarmed out fanuc cannot find anything.
Because it was under warranty fanuc replaced the complete drive. After that the machine did not get an alarm for 6 months. But slowly getting the alarm more often. Today 2 times..
Motor and cable are already tested.
Is there anyone have a idea what is could be or where to look? Maybe parameter wise? The thing i think is weird that everywhere the maximum rpm parameters are set to 15000. But the maximum is 12000.
But maybe that is normal.

Gr EKrol

Maybe you have an air compressor that is starting at the same time?

I don't understand how this happens, but I have noticed our compressor actually starting at the same time as a big ramp elsewhere. Too much to be just happenstance. It's as if somehow it was just on the verge of starting, and the sudden drop in V doo to the inrush of another machine - somehow that let it latch in right then.

Again, it's a spring and air pressure mechanical actuation, but I've seen it happen all too often to not be a real thing.
Just can't understand how/why?

You should be able to very easilly open up your accel ramp time.
You can scroll down through the parameter list on the control and the header above will come to a section of acc/dec, and with a little deduction you should be able to hone in on the right params.
Make an adjustment and then cycle your spindle in MDI.
No change = put it back as it was and try another.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Since we have a big 3x600A 400V electrical connection to the grid and we only using 30/40% at the moment i don't think the voltage wil drop if i ramp up my 30hp spindle. 9 out of 10 times its exactly at the same moment the alarm occur. i want to try do increase the ramp up time by a little. The only problem is that i cannot create the alarm on purpose. So if i change anything i cannot check if the problem is solved. Hoped someone else dealt with this problem an can point me in the right direction.

Gr EKrol

You're not checking to see if it alarms here, you just want to check to see if your ramp time lengthens or not.
Change it by a drastic amount to just make it obvious when you try it.
Once you find it - you can set it for maybe 25% added or whatnot.

But once you find it - you could try to shorten it and see if you can force an alarm.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

One time a customer had one leg of the 3 phase power that was marginal, and all sorts of alarms would trigger when the CNCs were under load.
Also, you mentioned Fanuc, but what about DN/Doosan? You may want to make sure the problem isn't mechanical.

Last edited:
One time a customer had one leg of the 3 phase power that was marginal, and all sorts of alarms would trigger when the CNCs were under load.
Also, you mentioned Fanuc, but what about DN/Doosan? You may want to make sure the problem isn't mechanical.
Dn was first to check. Because they did not find anything they called fanuc. I can try putting the machine under full load for all axis and spindels at the same time. See if i can trigger an alarm.

Gr EKrol

And just how doo you plan to execute THAT?

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!
G97 S3000 M203 P11
M516 A20 V1
S12000 M03 P12
N1
G00 U-1000 W-1000 V-150 B-90
S100 M03 P12
G00 U1000 W1000 V150 B90
S12000 M03 P12
/GOTO1
M30

Think this code will get the load very high. Can even run a program in the second path to load up the A axis.

Internally, Fanuc (and Mitsubishi) controls and drives are meant to operate at 200V (400V for large-class machines).

What irks me is that the North American divisions of Fanuc and Mitsubishi often claim their drives are built for 220/240...they will run there, but won't like it over time.

Make sure your isolation transformer is set correctly, so the machine is seeing as close to 200V as possible feeding the internals. Your drives and main power supply will state the incoming voltage on their nameplates.

If you consider +/- 10% as a broad tolerance, if spindle and servo drives designed for 200V see more than 220 you can be flirting with problems.

Higher voltages (especially spikes) can trip spindle drives, especially upon accel or decel!

Good luck with it,

ToolCat

Internally, Fanuc (and Mitsubishi) controls and drives are meant to operate at 200V (400V for large-class machines).

What irks me is that the North American divisions of Fanuc and Mitsubishi often claim their drives are built for 220/240...they will run there, but won't like it over time.

Make sure your isolation transformer is set correctly, so the machine is seeing as close to 200V as possible feeding the internals. Your drives and main power supply will state the incoming voltage on their nameplates.

If you consider +/- 10% as a broad tolerance, if spindle and servo drives designed for 200V see more than 220 you can be flirting with problems.

Higher voltages (especially spikes) can trip spindle drives, especially upon accel or decel!

Good luck with it,

ToolCat
The fanuc tech guy did measure all voltages in the control cabinet and did not find a problem. Even while running and when the machine get the error there was nothing he could find.

Is there a parameter that could easy change the acc/dec time of the spindle? Fanuc 31I model B. Did try some parameters but they don't change anything.

IDK a 31, but on an 18i it would be somewhere between 1600 and 1800.
Is this where you was working?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

IDK a 31, but on an 18i it would be somewhere between 1600 and 1800.
Is this where you was working?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
At my parameter manual in this range its only about axis acc and dec. Not about the milling spindle. Somewhere on the internet i found "4028= acc/dec pattern" "4029 = current limit" "4082 = acc/dec time". I changed this values but nothing changes.

Well then try some others.
It's in there somewhere.

Without looking through a parameter manual, the values in the params that you mentioned - just don't give me the feeling of ramp speeds. (2 digit?)

Doo you have a param manual?
You very well may be able to download one off the net if you search for one.

Edit:
Possible plan = maybe just go through each page, and double or trippple any value that is not obviously NOT for your app, and then try it. Reset them, and go to the next page. You should be able to find it within an hour at the outside.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I am not a service tech but I did speak to one of our service tech and here is what he said to check.

Please check

1. Wiring
From amp to spindle connection box.
Loose cable or not.
  1. Check Magnetic contactor for low winding and High winding . If necessary swap Low and high contactor for testing.

Well then try some others.
It's in there somewhere.

Without looking through a parameter manual, the values in the params that you mentioned - just don't give me the feeling of ramp speeds. (2 digit?)

Doo you have a param manual?
You very well may be able to download one off the net if you search for one.

Edit:
Possible plan = maybe just go through each page, and double or trippple any value that is not obviously NOT for your app, and then try it. Reset them, and go to the next page. You should be able to find it within an hour at the outside.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
The parameters i'm looking for are not in the normal parameter manual. But in the fanuc parameter manual. 65280EN ( https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/23c016fc/files/uploaded/65280EN.pdf ) Going to read true this manual and change some parameters. Cannot check at this moment. Thank you for your reply.

Ekrol

I am not a service tech but I did speak to one of our service tech and here is what he said to check.

Please check

1. Wiring
From amp to spindle connection box.
Loose cable or not.
  1. Check Magnetic contactor for low winding and High winding . If necessary swap Low and high contactor for testing.
All cables and connections are checked. That contactor sounds like that could be the problem indeed. That i didn't think about that. Thank you. Next time the machine create this error i will switch high and low gear. Good idea! Thank you!

Ekrol

At my parameter manual in this range its only about axis acc and dec. Not about the milling spindle. Somewhere on the internet i found "4028= acc/dec pattern" "4029 = current limit" "4082 = acc/dec time". I changed this values but nothing changes.

Actually, you may not be too far off here since it is a secondary spindle.
I slowed one of my turrets down a while back, and I am sure that was in the 40xx or 41xx area.
There wasn't any direction to look at them, so I just kept stabbing at it, 'till I found it.
On that machine - the turret and the live toys are the same motor, but even if yours are different, I wouldn't be surprised that your param in that same area.

Since it is a secondary drive, I don't know that I would expect Fanuc to be able to poiont you in the right direction as it likely could be anywhere in a given area - just wherever the MTB put it?
Just guessing....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back