What's new
What's new

Double Disk - Vertical?

Ox

Diamond
I spotted this today, and I haf'ta wonder..... ???

I take it that you set it in a pan of coolant, and it drips off the machine at every spot around it?

I don't git it?

Also - what application would benefit from a Vertical over a Horizontal?

36" GARDNER #2V36M36 VERTICAL DOUBLE DISC SPRING GRINDER: YBM #14953 | eBay

s-l1600.png

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Just a dumb guess, but using gravity to register the parts on the lower plate prior to being fed into the machine? Might be more reliable if robot (or human) real-time loading.

[$30K? Seems a little pricey, but I do like the "Works as expected"]

Double Disk Vertical on Ebay.jpg

I can't answer your question of horizontal vs. vertical but in general Double Disk grinders are very good at grinding both sides of a part parallel. I never saw it in action but we used to have an aluminum plate (a casting) we used for a gearbox and they were double disk ground. Very parallel sides but didn't make the castings flat. I just assumed there were two grinding heads for work on both the top and bottom of the part.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and say how you would double disk grind a .62" thick x about 7" by about 8" aluminum casting.

I can't answer your question of horizontal vs. vertical but in general Double Disk grinders are very good at grinding both sides of a part parallel. I never saw it in action but we used to have an aluminum plate (a casting) we used for a gearbox and they were double disk ground. Very parallel sides but didn't make the castings flat. I just assumed there were two grinding heads for work on both the top and bottom of the part.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and say how you would double disk grind a .62" thick x about 7" by about 8" aluminum casting.

Edit: I see now there is a motor (and I assume grinding head) on the bottom - so yes, 2 grinding heads.

Hammond of Kalamazoo Michigan makes big vertical disk grinders. We had one at a place that I worked at. Nasty filthy machine to work on.

May be?

But ... I know what dry ground spring ends look like - and I bet'cha that you doo too?
And most purchased springs don't look like THAT!

???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

May be?

But ... I know what dry ground spring ends look like - and I bet'cha that you doo too?
And most purchased springs don't look like THAT!

???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Some I have seen look to have blue burn marks on them.

Maybe mist coolant under the hood (around the wheels) with an exhaust fan ?

I'd sure like to see the transition from the solid support plate to the lower grinding head. I'm guessing grinding the ends square on a spring isn't the most precise operation in the world.

A shop in Milwaukee has one of these, I was in there a couple years ago. I believe they did hydraulic parts. I thought it was a bit of an odd set up, but the machine got the job done.

We have several Double Disc Grinders with horizontal spindles, and one like this with vertical spindles. Ours has coolant that runs through the spindle. We really only used it for one job since I have worked here. We were grinding small washers to a specific thickness for a customer. The operator would hand load them onto the round fixture, making sure they each dropped into location, then the fixture would rotate into the grinding wheels, when they came out, a hole in the bottom plate would allow them to drop into a basket to be collected. Since that job went away, it hasn't run in well over a year. But our horizonal spindle Double Discs are always busy.

We manufacture double disc grinding wheels and the majority of Spring grinding is done dry, no coolant. Our grinding wheels are formulated not to burn the springs. This machine would grind the top and bottom of the compression spring at the same time.

Back