What's new
What's new

Draw bar steel suggestion

Froneck

Titanium
I need to make a Draw bar for my Horz. Mill. Crash broke the original 5/8-11 draw bar. I was lucky that's all that broke except 2 screws. I did get a 16" long clamping stud but the threads are too short, I have to use a spacer. Threads look rolled. unthreaded area is slightly less than 5/8" so extending the threads isn't possible.
What would be best 4140, 1144, there is a 18" length of D2 on ebay. Any suggestions???

tdmidget

Diamond
It needs to be sacrificial or something more expensive will break next time. Plain old hot rolled steel is your friend.

hvnlymachining

Aluminum
Made 4140 drawbars for our mills, gives longer thread life and can torque'em good without fear of failure in cut.

1144 has a long grain structure, mfg doesn't recommend use for threaded applications as they strip off easily.

Froneck

Titanium
My drawbar is exactly like the one in John's attachment. I have the 2 hex pieces, one threaded and other pinned to the Drawbar. However the end is threaded 5/8-11 and 1/2-13 as is most drawbars for 40NMTB spindles. I've never used the 1/2 and may not thread it but the bar will be long enough that if someday I do need 1/2-13 I can thread it.
Thanks guys, I'll be getting a piece of 4140.

Froneck

Titanium
I agree! I'd make the bar from what ever I had too, I did buy some 4140 bars (was sold as group of 5 bars and used one) but they are only 8" long. So if I had to buy I just as well get the best for the application.