What's new
What's new

Drawing programs

886DG

Plastic
Is there a decent drawing program that replicates dimensions better than programs like google sketch without going full cost auto cad? I'm trying to work out a jig drill setup and trying to avoid all the manual math that goes with it.
Thanks in advance.

52 Ford

Stainless
Is there a decent drawing program that replicates dimensions better than programs like google sketch without going full cost auto cad? I'm trying to work out a jig drill setup and trying to avoid all the manual math that goes with it.
Thanks in advance.

I've used Fusion 360 for some years now. I'm not using it to make money (directly, anyway), so I'm not paying for it - just using the free version. Have you tried it?

Most of the limitations of the free version (compared to the paid/full version) are on the CAM and simulation side of things. Full version is $500 a year or $60 a month if you need it.

4GSR

Diamond
Draftsight started out as a free software. Now cost me around $175 a year to keep up the license on. The original started out as a mirror copy of AutoCAD LT and now has some pretty good stuff to it. For what I use it for I have no use for most of the stuff it has available. Just like AutoCAD, it's more tailored toward Architecture and civil stuff more than the mechanical side in general. Ken

Benta

Cast Iron
I use LibreCAD. Free, open-source. Works well, but as with every technical drawing program there's a learning curve.

EPAIII

Diamond
You do not say if you want 2D or 3D CAD.

Virtually any 2D CAD program is going to have super accurate dimensions built in. Five or more decimal places is what I would expect. Some, dare I say most of them use scientific or engineering power notation for remembering the numbers so you can have objects from the size of a sub-atomic particle to the Milky Way Galaxy properly represented in the same drawing. Don't let that scare you because the dimensions are shown in standard notation - no powers. I own and use FastCAD which was easy to learn, but it is not free.

Some free 2D CAD programs:

free 3d cad software - Google Search

3D CAD is a lot more complicated but again any decent one will have excellent dimensioning capability. I used Fusion360 until they stopped the free license. Now I am learning FreeCAD which is both 3D and 2D. And as the name suggests, it is free. It seems to be very capable.