What's new
What's new

DRO Install on Bridgeport

Sea Farmer

Diamond
Researching old threads show most prefer to install the X-axis scale on the back of the table. To do this on mine requires pulling the table and saddle to mount the scale and reader--I don't have enough room to between the saddle and column to get a drill in there. No problem for the scale on the table of course, it slides; but the saddle can't move far forward enough to fit a drill.

So my options are: 1) pull the table and saddle off to drill the mounting holes for the reader on the back of the saddle 2) mount the scale and reader on the front 3) buy an expensive right-angle drill that I will probably never use again 4) buy a cheap right-angle drill attachment that probably won't work well if at all.

#1 is probably the best job, #2 probably the easiest, ##3 and 4 I just threw in so no one else will suggest them cuz I ain't doing them.

So my real questions are what pitfalls to beware of in pulling the table and saddle, and has anyone done the front install and been satisfied. I do have a chip shield for the scale in either case. A front install will probably block the T-slot in the front edge of the table, but I've never needed it.

I have a DRO on my BP; it has been many moons since I installed it. I would however be will to give you what advise I can plus pictures. Just PM me if you would like some help.
Doug

How big is your drill anyway? All the way forward you have about 12"! I did mine without a right angle drill although I do have a few flavors. If you put the scale in front you will not be able to use the x axis travel stops, I put the scale behind because I could do without the 1/2" of travel before the travel stops.

I fitted a Newall DRO to my Bridgeport a good few years ago. The X scale is on the front of the table, and is supported using brackets in the T-slot for the table stops. I made an aluminium bracket to hold the sensing head, but don't recall having to drill any extra holes. I don't use table stops so that's not an issue, but I do use the full Y travel.

Andrew

You don't need to put the spar and reader on the back side of the table. They were on the front side for many years before somebody figured out they get damaged less on the back.

If you're careful, and don't drop a vise on the spar or reader, you'll be fine.
JR

I have an Index Wells 645, and chose to not reduce the travel by placing it on the rear. I attached a 1" square bar stock to the front and then mounted the scale to it, then a protective angle iron cover:
2016_2-17 index 645 with text2.jpg
2016_2-17 index 645 phone 002.jpg
2016_2-17 index 645 phone 003.jpg
I just happened to have the large piece of brass hex stock to make into stops.

The Bridgey I run at work has the scale mounted on the front of the table, with a 1/4"x2" steel "guard" over top. The mill and DRO are from the late '70s, so like JRIowa said, should be just fine if reasonably careful.

To me, it would suck having the scale on the back of the table. I'm always hanging work over the back (think long stuff in a v-block overhanging the table).

Mounted all the dro's on the back sides of the Bridgeports. Part of the idiot-proof-program at the shop. Air drill is the tool of choice for back side mounting. More compact than electric and takes abuse.
John

The greatest advantage of mounting in the back is that the table and saddle are flat and flush, so easier to align the scale and reader. Front requires a fabbed-up bracket, no big deal, just a bit more fiddling about.

Back