What's new
What's new

Dropped Lathe Worth The Trouble?

Jonnybronco

Plastic
Hey everyone,

It has been about 20 years since I was around a machine shop and I'm getting the itch to get some home machining tools. I found a local lathe that was being sold as scrap because it was dropped. It is a Logan Powermatic Houdaille 14" swing (Model# 1140009-LOH). The tail stock is broken and appears to have taken most of the impact. The spindle turns freely and the hand wheels are all intact and move freely.

From what I've read, the Powermatic was not a great lathe to begin with, so I'm wondering if it is even worth taking home. He wants $50 for the lathe and will throw in a 3 phase inverter for another $50 and the 3 jaw chuck for $100. I figure for $200 I can't go wrong, other than that is going to be taking up space in my shop.

Parts are available, but new parts will put me into a price range where I may rather buy a better unit to begin with. Does anyone have used parts for these? I've been shopping around, and was planning to be in the ballpark of ~$2,500 for a decent used lathe with (at least some) tooling included.

I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend and can share some pictures then.

What would you do?

Jonny

jccaclimber

Stainless
Unless it was dropped because it was lifted by the tailstock and that didn't survive I'm a bit suspicious of that taking the brunt of things. Even if the tailstock was the first item that hit, something else probably did after.
Can it be seen under power?
If the inverter is a not terribly old VFD, or if you meant rotary phase converter then that might be worth something to you. If it's a solid state box, IE a giant capacitor and nothing else, save your trouble.

henrya

Titanium
I’d go look at it and see if the rest of the lathe is good and then decide if I could make a functional repair of the tailstock. Pictures here would help.

GregSY

Diamond
It could have fallen,upside down and at an angle, onto a large stack of Tempur-pedic mattresses that had been piled around a concrete pillar that was about 12" square, just large enough to catch the tailstock and cause it to get damaged. Happens all the time.

boslab

Titanium
At the least stick a test bar in and run the carriage up and down, spin it etc etc, plain physical checks, bung the face plate on, clock it note backlash, usually.
If it basically passes these tests at least geometric relationship is reasonable, however dropping a lath can impact the gears, leadscrew and quick change GB
Therin lies the risk I’d say, however 200 isn’t much to loose, you could probably part it out at a push.
Mark

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
It could have fallen,upside down and at an angle, onto a large stack of Tempur-pedic mattresses that had been piled around a concrete pillar that was about 12" square, just large enough to catch the tailstock and cause it to get damaged. Happens all the time.
Or they were towing it home and the tailstock fell off and bounced down the road, that does happen all the time. Quick look on ebay shows a strong market for Logan parts, if you don't want to deal with ebay there is also a Logan group.

GregSY

Diamond
I dunno...the OP says the lathe was dropped so I assume that means all of it. Unless 'dropped' means the lathe was dating someone who abruptly called of the relationship in favor of a larger, more profitable lathe. Maybe the tailstock is the equivalent of the human heart, which would further explain how it was broken.

Jonnybronco

Plastic
Thanks for the responses. I decided to not pick up this lathe. I don't really need another project right now and don't want the risk of having an 1,800 lb. door stop in my shop.

toglhot

Plastic
For $50, surely it's worth a look, if it's OK, you can buy the other parts of the seller. Since, he says only the tailstock was damaged, I'd say perhaps the tailstock fell off when it was being moved, or he had two slings to move it and the tailstock sling let go.
An 1800lb lathe would be pretty hard to damage without the damage being very, very evident. A check of bed, carriage, lead screw, headstock, gears, pulleys and so on will tell. And don't forget: A lathe is a self replicating machine, so you should be able to make some parts for it.
If you find you don't want to play with it after you get it home, you can always part it out, I think you'd get a lot more than $50 parting it out. There were a lot of Logans out there.