What's new
What's new

Drummond UK Treadle Radial Drill

A few more pages. As most know, click on image a third time to enlarge it for easier reading. It took me a while to discover that.

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 301
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 191
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 206
  • img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 223
Maynah,

The writer is an expert - he has converted me from a scoffing cynic to a believer :eek: . Further, in purchasing this machine I would join a distinguished group of Drummond owners who include King Edward VII amongst other Heads of State and several famous and no doubt discerning Works - I am convinced, where can I get one? :drool5:

Last edited:
Peter, you're in the Empire, I was hoping you could tell me.:)
Do you see many Drummond lathes in New Zealand?

In 1970, i came across one of these little Drummond radials in a local brassfounders &finishers, From memory i seem to remember it was the model up from the gut belt example as shown in the illustrations,having a drive up through the column, Still had fast &loose pulleys It was a neat little machine, sadly the owner of the factory, was not an approachable sort of person, Later on he scrapped the column &drive &used the box table &stand as a work holding station

Even then i would have liked that little machine, I have never seen one of them or even heard of one since, I wonder if they were just too light to be a marketable commodity & maybe Drummond gave up on them early on?

Peter, you're in the Empire, I was hoping you could tell me.:)
Do you see many Drummond lathes in New Zealand?

Maynah,

Perhaps Kiwi pete will comment (he has one), but I think the lathes are quite common here, including a rare one that turned up recently which hadn't been seen before by 'Tony Lathes' etc. But really I know next to nothing about Drummond, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.

I found a few interesting pictures about drills and mills, all treadle ones.
From Birch an English firm.
I also have a one ( drill) from The London lathe Tool Co but can't find the picture, have to go back into the scanned pages to find it.
Both were in; The Amateur Workshop. from about 1900.

I do see some times a Drummond lathe but not that often.

Just found the link to it; http://treadleit.info/The London Lathe & Tool Co

Attachments

• 0346Mill.jpg
    0346Mill.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 782
  • 0340.jpg
    0340.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Here are some more Drummond Adds I found in Canadian Machinery
Lathe
Canadian machinery and metalworking
I wonder how many managers of large Canadian works would feel about this today ?
Radial Drill
Universal Grinding Machine
While I had seen the lathe and drill adds before , I had not remembered seeing this model .
I remembered hearing about someone here in Canada having a lathe being but I have never seen or heard of a radial drill or grinder
Regards,
Jim

Even then i would have liked that little machine

In 1970, i came across one of these little Drummond radials in a local brassfounders &finishers, From memory i seem to remember it was the model up from the gut belt example as shown in the illustrations,having a drive up through the column, Still had fast &loose pulleys It was a neat little machine, sadly the owner of the factory, was not an approachable sort of person, Later on he scrapped the column &drive &used the box table &stand as a work holding station

Even then i would have liked that little machine, I have never seen one of them or even heard of one since, I wonder if they were just too light to be a marketable commodity & maybe Drummond gave up on them early on?

I have PM'd you about this. Baxandall

RADIAL ARM DRILL SINGLE PHASE WORKING IDEAL MODEL MAKERS

There was a Drummond radial drill very like this on EBay UK. The seller has removed it due to some damage but informs me that he plans to put it back on when that's sorted out. You can find it by searching Completed Listings under the above description. I didn't post a link while it was active, as so many people object. The seller also informed me that the drill wasn't treadle-powered, though it otherwise looks very similar to the drill described above. It looks very nice to me, however it was powered.

Last edited:
RADIAL ARM DRILL SINGLE PHASE WORKING IDEAL MODEL MAKERS

There was a Drummond radial drill very like this on EBay UK. The seller has removed it due to some damage but informs me that he plans to put it back on when that's sorted out. You can find it by searching Completed Listings under the above description. I didn't post a link while it was active, as so many people object. The seller also informed me that the drill wasn't treadle-powered, though it otherwise looks very similar to the drill described above. It looks very nice to me, however it was powered.

I would love to have that drill. I wish I could find one here in the US.

Rob

Maynah,
Do you have a date/source for the document you attached at the start of this chain?
I've just acquired one of these, but the earlier model. I'm trying to work out when Drummond changed the design of the support under the column.
Rob

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 40
Welcome Rob, you've come to the right place with your drill.
I bought an early Drummond model M and it came with a folder about 3 inches thick of sales brochures, (everything Drummond), correspondence, blueprints etc. I'll look through those and see what I can find.

Brillant, thanks Maynah. There are a couple of brackets and two jockey wheels missing, for which I intend to make some patterns and get castings. But it is really difficult to find much information. Surrey library photocopied me a manual but it for the later version, like you posted data for, and does not show the parts I need to replace. Currently your brochure is the best reference I have. I've got a 1926 M also, plus a 1948 Myford M, a 1903/4 pre-B, 1916 BS, 1919 A and a drummond shaper.

I have seen those advertised in some of the Old Canadian Machinery magazines from around the 1920s.
I don't have time to search more for a few days.
If you haven't looked there already, you might also try Tony's site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/
Or Graces Guide that may have more information about the changes and the dates they were brought out.
Jim

Thanks for the links Jim. There is an advert in Canadian Machinery, January 1912, for my style of machine, I've not searched for the design with the more solid LH leg but will use the link to do so. There is also an advert dated March 1912 in Graces Guide but I don't have a subscription to get a get good quality copy. I think the machine I've brought is the one on Tony's web site, I'll check with him later in the week. I've also found a full page write up on it in a December 1908 copy of Commercial Motors, hoping to get a copy of that shortly. Been looking for one of these for a while, looking forward to getting it back up and running!

I went through all my Drummond literature and only the one radial drill leaflet.
1st pic is the amount of paper I have on Drummond.
2nd is all Drummond sales lit.
3rd is a blueprint for the shaper attachment.
I really should do a writeup on my lathe and everything I have with it.
I probably have most of the attachments that go to it.
IMG_03971.jpg
IMG_0399 .jpg
IMG_0398-1.jpg

Hi Maynah,
That is a very interesting collection of literature you have! I noted the 1921 and 1922 new 3.5" center lathe manuals. I assume one relates to the original M without the rack and pinon carriage drive and the other to the improved M with the rack and pinon. Is that correct? I'd previous thought the first version with the rack and pinon was not introduced until 1924.
Do you have the M type dividing head attachment that replaces the bull gear guard, the worm engaging with the the bull gear? I organize the supply of castings for what was the Yahoo Drummond group and the FB group and I have been looking to try and get enough pictures and dimensions from one of these dividing heads to make a set of patterns. Unfortunately there are so few around it is proving difficult.

This might be of help. From a Nov. 20th, 1908 issue of Engineering.

Rob

Attachments

• Drummond radial drill 20d (2).jpg
    Drummond radial drill 20d (2).jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Drummond radial drill 20d (3).jpg
    Drummond radial drill 20d (3).jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Drummond radial drill 20d (4).jpg
    Drummond radial drill 20d (4).jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Drummond radial drill 20e (2).jpg
    Drummond radial drill 20e (2).jpg
    213 KB · Views: 18
  • Drummond radial drill 20f (2).jpg
    Drummond radial drill 20f (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Rob, that picture of the back of the arm, showing the jockey wheels, is particularly useful.

Rob

Back