What's new
What's new

Dual pulley belt creep and how I had to fix it with a file and paint

The Gates belt people and many others recommend that a drive belt has certain fit. Ideal is to be flush or below the pulley.
Belts above the pulley mean partial disengagement. After a certain point the correct belt tension for two identical belts will never happen.
What make belt creep turn into belt movement is when the tension is adjusted the same for both belts. One is loose and the other is tight.
Lived like that for more than 15 years. When you see a double pulley wheel have a shinny metal track and the other side still has some of it's
original rattle can paint job. Time to do something.
Yep, leave it alone it worked for 15 years like that, treat it like a sore dick, don't fu*ck with it!

Yes, I wonder when they're going to start putting serpentine belts on compressors.

I think the balance weights are there to compensate for the lousy cooling fan blade castings.

I recently picked up some relatively large pulleys from McMaster-Carr and they seem to run true. They don't have the cooling fan blades, however.

For those who don't like a belt to move and have more pulling power. Believe up to 50% more.

I got some advice about belt dressing. If it's slipping so much then it's time for a new belt.
I have a can of the stuff, never used it yet.

Back