What's new
What's new

Dynapath 20 Troubleshooting!!!!

I recently purchased a Clausing Kondia fv1 with a dynapath 20 motion controller. I have it plugged in via 3-phase converter. Each leg is at 120v. When i go to turn on the machine the screen does not turn on and controlls do not work.

PIC lights are Run: (Green), RAM Test: (Red),WDT Fail: (Red)

Proc Run: (Green), Param Int: (Blank)

Panel on: (Blank), Proc WDT Fail: (Red)

I've read somewhere I need to swap the motherboard wire to something other than the 3rd leg of the phase converter. I am not sure what/where to go about that if that is the case.

Also I accidentally shorted the power supply frying 2 resistors that i have soldered in new ones. This issue happened before/after with no change. When the psu fried it was still showing the same lights so nothing turned off.

Each leg is 120V? With respect to what?
The control is single phase, not 3 phase.

If you’re using a rotary phase converter, use the 2 line legs to the control, which is single phase, not 3ph... Do not use the wild/generated leg to the control power.

I also have 2 fully populated Dynapath card cages with power supplies I want to sell.

Well i connected the power wire from the stepdown transformer that goes to the controller to the front of the phase converter and i get theagmetic relays click open than close and go into the wdt fail mode. The screen turns on but just has the lines. Also the ram test light clears out. All three have green on lights now. Than i plugged the wire to the middle like you suggested and it automatically goes into wdt fail mode and the ram rest light is on. The power coming off the stepdown transformer is 60v going to power the nc so the psu didn't kick on (the other stepdown puts out 40v. I bench tested the psu and got 5v,-5v,15v and the 24v was actually 26v. Coming off the 120v plugged into the wall. I am using a generic solid state phase converter.

If I cant figure it out and get it running at low cost. I'll just end up going with the centroid all-in-1-dc setup. A new psu id 1200 alone. Not even worth it.

You can get it working, those controls actually work fine and they have a very handy conversational side as well as standard G code.
#1 Start at the beginning, measure the output of your phase converter, leg to leg and leg to ground.
#2 Dynapaths usually require a ground rod separate from your electrical panel ground.
#3 Try the three power wires in each of the different combinations.
#4 Give the guys at ZPS a call, (262)758-6129 they are excellent and they also repair circuit boards very reasonably.

Good Luck, Don

Back