What's new

Ear Buds

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 6,348

Ox

Diamond
So what is the consensus on these things?

They looks like a bad deal to me, but I never used any.
Until the other day and we went to the Shawshank Prison (not really Shawshank) and they handed out buds and a receiver to everyone on the tour so's we could hear the guide.

Personally I did not think they worked well, but with one in and one bud out, and a little practice, I was able to understand what this chick was saying.
But what I found out, was that they don't [necessarily] block out all other sounds as much as I would have expected.
But still, on the surface, I just don't think that you will be as in tune to your surroundings as you would with just a radio on.
(and we already have tunes playing, just maybe not YOUR tunes)

I think that I have heard some of you mention that you use them yourself, but then IDK your shop/surroundings either....

Summer help time is coming soon, and that's when this issue crops up...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Kingbob

Hot Rolled
I don't allow radios or music in my shop, I like to be able to hear the machines and my self think. I refer to my building as the "library". That being said I recommend earbuds to the guys and use them myself, usually only one at a time. Our work is usually small enough to carry around and runs are typically single digits so forklifts or random heavy equipment is not a problem or hazard.

boosted

Stainless
Most of us have hearing protection in anyways. I don't see the big difference. Before earbuds I worked in couple places that had competing radios... Now that was awful.

At least once a week this "bossman" has to hunker down for a several hour stretch at the burr bench. It would be unbearable without earbuds, and I can't imagine the tyrant who would try to take them away.

CAMasochism

Hot Rolled
I have a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 earbuds. They can be set to noise cancelling (does what it says not the best but still more than enough to work while mowing/weed eating), ambient sound mode (passes external sounds through the speakers allowing you to hear what's going on), and off (which functions like old school ear buds that just block out sound through their physical presence).

Freedommachine

Hot Rolled
I agree with boosted. I am always listening to music, podcasts or audiobooks except while running a crane or forklift. It makes work much more tolerable.

barbter

Diamond
Having now got a bit of tinnitus, I wish I used the headphones more at work.
Airlines and high speed ally machining (ringdingring!) aren't good longterm....

texasmci

Plastic
I dont allow them, but I do allow a radio.

I used to allow them, but machines would get crashed because they werent listening to the machine.
I shoud also point out that the majority of the staff that had ear buds in were chonic low performers.
I suspect it was because their attention was on whatever they were listening to instead of what I was paying them to do.

Ox

Diamond
Well my concern is not only hearing around you (machine mostly) but the attention as posted above.

I culled the "radio" from my shop 20 yrs ago.
If the tunes are broken - we (I) may need to close shop and make a tune run, but I don't find background music to be an issue with vying for my attention.
I may turn it up at night now and aggin, but if there are others working, I don't let it above "background" status.
And I have big speakers and whatnot, so it's not some squealing radio here that you can't hear over there.
But we doo have a section that you really cannot hear the tunes in, and that may be an area that would seem more Kosher for having them.

Anyhow, I found myself stopping to listen to what the news was saying, or what the DJ was talking about.
The music playing was a non-issue as that doesn't matter.
Listening to a news show or a podcast (not even 100% sure exactly what that is) is something that you are "listening" to, and not just hearing.
That is fine if you are driving down the road, but when you are needing to make adjustments, or compare the mic to the print or ... I just don't like it.

And thus, my concern - especially with the podcast thing.
But I was also wondering if music being piped into the ear through one of these was likely more "listen to me" than just background music?
Can you stop and concentrate on something with Baby Got Back rapping in your ear?

Would limiting it to one ear somewhat quell that concern?
Can you have them on, and still not be more than "background"?
And I am asking those of you with experience using them....

-----------------

The Rapper
Ox

LOTT

Cast Iron
I listen to different things based on what I'm doing. Some things need full attention (programming, tricky setups), other things are muscle memory and listening to a book or podcast while welding or assembly makes work more enjoyable.

Ox, not sure of you were serious, but podcasts are essentially radio shows with unlimited formats. They can be long form interviews that last hours, or a five minute daily news brief. Do you use a smart phone? If so download Stitcher and check it out, you can find them on any imaginable subject.

Ox

Diamond
No, I flip.
And I think that I covered the "don't want to have to "listen"" thing already.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

dana gear

Hot Rolled
I dont allow them, but I do allow a radio.

I used to allow them, but machines would get crashed because they werent listening to the machine.
I shoud also point out that the majority of the staff that had ear buds in were chonic low performers.
I suspect it was because their attention was on whatever they were listening to instead of what I was paying them to do.

Ear plugs absolutely, Loud music blasting in your ears when your operating my machines, no way.

AJ H

Hot Rolled
It can be distracting, I wouldn’t wear them while programming or inspecting but I have while PHDing widgets. FYI according to our osha consultant noise canceling headphones do not block out harmful sound waves only the 3M worktunes type do. I found this out after several years of wearing beats type headphones while working ground with the old “sound guard” cab articulates. Turns out I wasn’t doing myself any favors.

kustomizer

Titanium
It is a rare day the Denon amp isn't pushing the 6 big Cerwin Vega's, normally at background level and with 6 speakers I can hear it fairly well anywhere in the shop while still being able to hear problems starting in any one of the machines. Sometimes I crank it up where the machines are the background noise but not often. I would hate to be trapped with only the voices in my head all day, it is kind of like having that little devil on one shoulder arguing with the little angel on the other. I have tried ear buds and headphones but find them quite distracting but unlike the youth today, I did not grow up using them and that is likely the main difference.

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
I agree with boosted. I am always listening to music, podcasts or audiobooks except while running a crane or forklift. It makes work much more tolerable.

I would have about 10% efficiency on repetitive simple tasks if it wasn't for something to listen to. Ball games, races, or sportstalk seem to work better than music for me. If It comes from speakers on the work bench I can still hear the machines.