What's new

Ear Buds

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 6,349

pcasanova

Hot Rolled
I never understood the one ear open when driving law, as deaf people are allowed to drive.

the only thing I can think of is the Americans with disability act kicks in on that one, and yes Ox that is a thing, from what I remember it was you had to hear the sirens if a emergency vehicle was approaching, can also get a ticket for a music to loud that would go with the same thought process

vincent eggleton

Aluminum
NO radios or music in my shop unless I am all alone at 10 PM. I NEVER listen to music in front of anyone working for me. You just cannot hear what your machine is doing and if you can hear a little tick/snap out of the normal sounds for the machine you can tell you have a small problem before it becomes a big problem.

But I admit to being a hypocrite. When my wife and kid where in the Philippines years ago and my kid was just born you can bet I watched them on the late nights i was there.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
I never understood the one ear open when driving law, as deaf people are allowed to drive.

While far from ideal, I'll bet the average deaf person is much better at perceiving their surroundings with no audible inputs than a person who can hear and is subconsciously dependent on sounds. Personally, I also have different expectations for people who choose not to do something vs. people who cannot do it.

Having tried both back before it was a legal issue, I've found that I'm much more aware of my surroundings driving with one ear uncovered. Interestingly in a convertible I also perceive my surroundings much better when wearing earplugs. It seems to cut down all the wind noise so I can pick up everything else.

I typically wear ear plugs in a machining environment, but one of the shops I work in uses noise cancelling headphones, and so far has allowed music on them. There are some reasonable rules though. Turn the tunes off when using manual machines, when around or operating fork trucks, etc.

I'll wear them with the music on in the home shop, but only if there aren't visitors in the house. My wife knows I'm effectively deaf in them and also knows not to startle me when a machine is running.

Doug

Diamond
Buds, headphones, cell phones, whatever... What is it about people these days needing to be constantly "connected". It appears mostly to be younger people with this affliction.

In my daily travel I see 20 people waiting at the bus stop and 19 of them are totally engrossed in something on their phones. You have pedestrians in crosswalks not being aware or even caring about the traffic stall they create as they casually stroll across the street not wanting to interrupt their connections.

mhajicek

Titanium
Noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones here. I pull one side off if I want to hear the cut, but its hard to hear a .020" ball endmill in the cut over the spindle and the air compressor anyway.

Turbowerks

Cast Iron
It can be distracting, I wouldn’t wear them while programming or inspecting but I have while PHDing widgets. FYI according to our osha consultant noise canceling headphones do not block out harmful sound waves only the 3M worktunes type do. I found this out after several years of wearing beats type headphones while working ground with the old “sound guard” cab articulates. Turns out I wasn’t doing myself any favors.

The old sound guard cab! I spent most of my time growing up inbetween the factory rollbar of the 10 and 20 series tractors with the factory cab bolted to it. The solid rollgaurd was more or less a amplifier of every gear / machine noise the tractor made. My mom ( happy mothers day mom) made a blanket area for my daycare. Ive always had ringing ears as long as i can remember. I thought the sound guard was a real step up

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

AJ H

Hot Rolled
The old sound guard cab! I spent most of my time growing up inbetween the factory rollbar of the 10 and 20 series tractors with the factory cab bolted to it. The solid rollgaurd was more or less a amplifier of every gear / machine noise the tractor made. My mom ( happy mothers day mom) made a blanket area for my daycare. Ive always had ringing ears as long as i can remember. I thought the sound guard was a real step up

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Spent plenty of time in a 20 series cab and yes they are much worse. The sound guards are way better but still loud enough you should wear hearing protection. Especially when the windows are open because the ac don’t work.

Scruffy887

Titanium
No longer allowed because it is a safety hazard. You have no control over the listening content and whether it requires a lot of their attention or not. Some can get so engrossed that they actively block out real sounds around them. Some will even go as far as planning work activities around what they want to listen to.

Strostkovy

Stainless
Earbuds are no issue around here. Forcing the powder coater to listen to the exhaust fans and sandblaster all day is borderline cruel. Welders have no issue welding while music is playing, and one prefers playing music out loud and it doesn't bother anyone else who is listening to their own thing.

You can still easily hear the laser, brake, etc. The only time we don't allow earbuds is on the forklift.

It also keeps people from talking to each other excessively.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Well my concern is not only hearing around you (machine mostly) but the attention as posted above.

I culled the "radio" from my shop 20 yrs ago.
If the tunes are broken - we (I) may need to close shop and make a tune run, but I don't find background music to be an issue with vying for my attention.
I may turn it up at night now and aggin, but if there are others working, I don't let it above "background" status.
And I have big speakers and whatnot, so it's not some squealing radio here that you can't hear over there.
But we doo have a section that you really cannot hear the tunes in, and that may be an area that would seem more Kosher for having them.

Anyhow, I found myself stopping to listen to what the news was saying, or what the DJ was talking about.
The music playing was a non-issue as that doesn't matter.
Listening to a news show or a podcast (not even 100% sure exactly what that is) is something that you are "listening" to, and not just hearing.
That is fine if you are driving down the road, but when you are needing to make adjustments, or compare the mic to the print or ... I just don't like it.

And thus, my concern - especially with the podcast thing.
But I was also wondering if music being piped into the ear through one of these was likely more "listen to me" than just background music?
Can you stop and concentrate on something with Baby Got Back rapping in your ear?

Would limiting it to one ear somewhat quell that concern?
Can you have them on, and still not be more than "background"?
And I am asking those of you with experience using them....

-----------------

The Rapper
Ox

Ox, I cannot agree with you more on the Music vs. news ( or anything which requires attention )
I am absolutely 100% music when drawing, programming, setting up or peeing. One must pay attention to the most minute details.
For this purpose, I use quality over-the-ear RF headphones. Mine is the predecessor of this: Sennheiser RS 175
When deburring, sawing or doing otherwise mindless stuff, I listen to informational ( news, podcasts, current events, etc) stuff on the same headphones.

At the same time, when I do some repetitive but tactile attention-intensive work ( manual lathe or mill ) where outside hearing is also imperative, I use
a bone conducting headphone: OpenRun - IP67 Waterproof Open-Ear Sport Headphones | Shokz Official
non-intrusive, comfortable and all-open for ability to observe even the minute outside noises.

I absolutely abhor earbuds. Can't wear them, hate wearing them, cannot stand them.
They are all uncomfortable garbage with piss poor sound quality when compared to alternatives.
I love noise canceling over-the-ear headphones for outside, noisy environments such as lawn mowing, gardening or cutting/splitting firewood.
Do not recommend for working in a shop environment where noticing outside sounds are absolutely essential.
Speakers are also OK if you are the only one in the shop.
I write this on a Sunday night with only myself within a 1 mile radius while having 4 speakers blasting 80-s Eurothrash through a massive amplifier with doors locked.
Can't do that during the week with other people around ( mostly because I'd be strangled, quartered and buried inside 5 minutes )

barbter

Diamond
I write this on a Sunday night with only myself within a 1 mile radius while having 4 speakers blasting 80-s Eurothrash through a massive amplifier with doors locked.
Can't do that during the week with other people around ( mostly because I'd be strangled, quartered and buried inside 5 minutes )

Your neighbors have no taste....!

Philabuster

Diamond
I wear earplugs in the shop 100% of the time. Loud noises like air blow guns and hydraulic pumps tend to piss me off. The earplugs make the regular shop noises bearable.

I listen to music via speakers and a subwoofer along with the machines doing their thing. I never liked earbuds myself. My productivity drops to probably 50% if the music is not playing in the background. I need the music to keep my ADD occupied while I work.

Jashley73

Titanium
Competing boomboxes are terrible, and were banned at the day-job years ago.

If I'm working around others, earbuds in. They're probably 1/2 to 2/3 as effective as for-real earplugs, so that's a benefit.

Like all things, a small dose of common sense goes a long way. When I need to focus in on something very important - you just press pause...

AndyF

Stainless
3M Worktunes rather than earbuds. If it is loud enough in the shop to merit hearing protection, I want hearing protection. The worktunes have decent sound quality if someone wants to listen to music or a podcast, but also protect the ears if nothing is playing. I should add that this was in a farm environment, so mostly while running tractors and other equipment, but sometimes in the shop, especially with grinding and other relatively noisy jobs.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
Something worth adding, active noise cancelling headphones tend to work best at low frequencies, and less well at high frequencies. Earplugs seem to work best at high frequencies, less so at low. The other issue is that noise cancelling headphones work up to a given amplitude, and completely fail after that. I haven't had many times when they just can't keep up (incoming noise to be cancelled is louder than they can produce). Occasionally it happens during takeoff on a commercial flight if I have a bad seat, and occasionally in the machine shop. It's always clear when it happens, so at least you know. Point being, it may not be an option at all in really loud environments.

Arc-On

Aluminum
I wear the plain Apple earbuds that came with my phone. They fit well and don't block out much sound. I can listen to a podcast or some music and still hear my name or a machine.

My employees wear some earplug style that makes it much harder to hear. I don't let them use them on the forklift or with the crane, but when they're just running parts or welding its fine.

Ox

Diamond
Well maybe not a 3/16 ball mill @ 20K RPM, but the rest of us can hear our tools much of the time.
Especially if they are failing.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox