What's new
What's new

Ear Buds

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 8,189
Yeah, go ahead and give that a try.
I would expect the guys to start running in that case too....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It can be distracting, I wouldn’t wear them while programming or inspecting but I have while PHDing widgets. FYI according to our osha consultant noise canceling headphones do not block out harmful sound waves only the 3M worktunes type do. I found this out after several years of wearing beats type headphones while working ground with the old “sound guard” cab articulates. Turns out I wasn’t doing myself any favors.

Are there any studies on if this is actually true? My understanding is that ANC headphones are pumping in the opposite sound to cancel the noise by "flattening" the sound wave. It would make sense to me that if it is flattening out the sound wave, then it is saving your ears. I think all the ear protection in the shooting industry is using ANC technology now....

I switch between Sony headphones and Airpods, both with ANC. It would be nice to know if the Noice canceling is actually protecting my hearing or not.

Are there any studies on if this is actually true? My understanding is that ANC headphones are pumping in the opposite sound to cancel the noise by "flattening" the sound wave. It would make sense to me that if it is flattening out the sound wave, then it is saving your ears. I think all the ear protection in the shooting industry is using ANC technology now....

I switch between Sony headphones and Airpods, both with ANC. It would be nice to know if the Noice canceling is actually protecting my hearing or not.

Consumer noise cancelling earbuds aren't meant to be hearing protection and can't cancel out very high amplitude sounds.

Noise cancelling hearing protection generally is conventional hearing protection, in that it passively attenuates noise to a safe level, and then the noise cancelling works to reduce the remaining nuisance noise down to near silence. They can also have a certain level of pass through, where instead of cancelling out sounds they will amplify sounds (to a safe limit) to allow you to hear people talk.

Back