What's new
What's new

Easily grind on a CNC using electroplated wheels

One other interesting fact that some people may not know...some skate sharpening machines use electroplated CBN wheels dry and a product called the Drill Doctor, for home sharpening drills, also uses CBN electroplated wheels dry.
Do they run the tools at full speed or slow the SFM down when used dry?

Do they run the tools at full speed or slow the SFM down when used dry?
I know the Drill Doctor's original machine ran fairly slow, around 2500 sfpm I believe. They have since come out with a "more professional" model, the 750X. My guess is that machine's spindle rpm is higher. You make a good point, though. Heat is the enemy of superabrasives. Running dry generates more heat, obviously, so to counteract that it's probably helpful to reduce the wheel speed. They also use primarily diamond electroplated wheels, but also some CBN as well. Here is some info on it with a photo of the wheel they use:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/drill-doctor-review/

Most surface and od grinding like about 4500 to 6500 surface feet per minute. Diamond and CBN wheels often like to go faster. Id wheel often like to go faster.
If you go too slow it is like the wheel is honing the part.
Just in your head one might figure 7"x 3=21" x 3450RPM = about 72.000" / 12" = near 6,000sfpm.

Last edited:
Most surface and od grinding like about 4500 to 6500 surface feet per minute. Diamond and CBN wheels often like to go faster. Id wheel often like to go faster.
If you go too slow it is like the wheel is honing the part.
Just in your head one might figure 7"x 3=21" x 3450RPM = about 72.000" / 12" = near 6,000sfpm.
Totally agree. There are times, however, when you can't get that speed and plated wheels still work. An example would be knife sharpening on a garment cutting machine. This particular machine (there are hundreds of them in the U.S.) cuts all manner of textiles from jeans cloth to upholstery and it has two small 1" diameter cbn plated wheels mounted on either side of the reciprocating cutting blade. The wheels turn at a whopping 1,000 sfpm and the application is dry. Every so many feet the machine stops cutting and the blade is sharpened, or to your point MB, "honed". To me, that's the beauty of plated wheels - they work under a variety of parameters and the key thing for this application and many others, including using them on a mill, is that they require no dressing.
Having said all that, I would still recommend running at the speeds you noted. The aforementioned application is pretty unique and while running dry and at low speeds work well there, they won't work on most other applications.

QT: (The wheels turn at a whopping 1,000 sfpm and the application is dry.)
I have a knife sharpener about like that . small double wheel cbn or diamond, looks like vitrified electro plated, about 1000sfpm?

Back