What's new
What's new

Ebay's latest personal info harvest

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
Had a sale the other day. Waiting for a payout so I can record how much the sale was actually for. Went to look and the account was on hold pending me uploading some additional info. Last go around they wanted SSN and direct checking account access (after they and Paypal split ways). Circa this locked thread:

I held out, came back a couple months later and they only wanted last four of SSN. I made it up and DOB and that went through fine. Now they want scanned front and back of DL or passport and DOB and also articles of incorporation or similar documents from business. I think I've had enough. I got on support chat and informed them I'm done if they don't drop the personal info request. No issue with business docs or EIN. They kinda divulged in the customer service rep's attempts to appease me by copying sections of the user agreement that they will be able to sell the data. Too bad, I've used them for a long time.

I do believe that's the Fed's doing. Our government will be requiring that a 1099 be sent to each seller with more than $600 in sales. It was supposed to start in '22 but now i think it's '23. I may have some facts wrong but I think that's it.

I'm not sure how that translates to them needing a photo scan of my DL and DOB for a business account. I get 1099s from companies and they don't have said info. Isn't the W-9 for that? I passed on Amazon long ago, glad I did.

I have a website for direct sales, but Ebay has always been nice because people look for stuff there. The guy who's order I cancelled found it fast enough ;)

I do believe that's the Fed's doing. Our government will be requiring that a 1099 be sent to each seller with more than $600 in sales. It was supposed to start in '22 but now i think it's '23. I may have some facts wrong but I think that's it.
feds don't need you to email copies of your drivers license or any of that crap

Its getting ridiculous. I stopped to buy a beer the other day, and they wanted to scan my DL. I went down the street.

What service did you use for that? Can customers place orders/pay through it?
I have a merchant account and a shopping cart website. There are lots of options out there. The actual one I use was a huge pia to setup, but has been working. I can PM you details if you want. I always looked at ebay as free advertising. I actually don't want people to buy there, so I jack the prices.

I have a merchant account and a shopping cart website. There are lots of options out there. The actual one I use was a huge pia to setup, but has been working. I can PM you details if you want. I always looked at ebay as free advertising. I actually don't want people to buy there, so I jack the prices.
Yes, please send me some info in a PM. I cancelled my ebay ads a few months back, for a variety of reasons...

Yes, it is because of the government. Well, the Biden government to be exact. Let's not tar all administrations with the same brush. That would be like saying all blacks steal hubcaps. Let's not lose focus that only some do. Let's place blame squarely where it belongs.

Plus, there's always the fact that for many companies - Ebay, Google, Yahoo, Apple YOU are the product. They are only dealing with gadgets as a means to access you.

Yes, it is because of the government. Well, the Biden government to be exact. Let's not tar all administrations with the same brush. That would be like saying all blacks steal hubcaps. Let's not lose focus that only some do. Let's place blame squarely where it belongs.

Plus, there's always the fact that for many companies - Ebay, Google, Yahoo, Apple YOU are the product. They are only dealing with gadgets as a means to access you.
O FFS this has nothing to do with Biden
It is not even the gov't at all

Yes, it is because of the government. Well, the Biden government to be exact. Let's not tar all administrations with the same brush.

Yeah, I agree. The previous "administration" only tried to steal the election and lead an insurrection, that's certainly a lot better than ensuring taxes are collected.

Oh, and it's more likely just eBay's policy in trying to scrape as much data from you as possible, and NOT government policy.

IMO eBay is/was a helpful tool for selling things on the side, same as through craigslist, yard-sale, community center pinboard, etc. I understand the need for people to "pay their share" if their eBay account is a job in itself, and then yes eBay needs enough info to process the taxes.... at the cost of potentially (or intentionally) leaking/selling that information to ??? That's a risk you take when it's "Bob's Junk Store," but you shouldn't have to accept that risk when it's just "Bob."

That's just my opinion of course. It's not a Dems vs. Reps. thing. It's a big gov. vs. small gov. thing. Both sides have something to offer and something to take. I just want the freedom to choose my side while allowing the next guy to have the same freedom. The more you try to sneak or force this stuff though, the more unhappy people become, regardless of how "right" or "wrong" the stuff is.

Back