What's new
What's new

EDM Drill pump alternatives

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, has anyone found a good alternative to the piece of junk air-over-water pumps typically supplied with the Chinese ( or Taiwan ) made
machines?
For christ's sake, this is the 3rd pump I am struggling with!
Seems like every one dies for the same reason: the pump head is an Aluminum casting which is only Chinadized.
First, as the guts corrode, the white shiit that AL turns into is plugging up the inside.
That would be almost OK as it can be cleaned, but when the frigging corrosion occurs on the seats and bores, they become non-functional.

Is there some other alternative out there, perhaps something like a paint sprayer pump or similar?
Else, Is there a non-Chinese garbage air-over-water pump that will last?

Guys, has anyone found a good alternative to the piece of junk air-over-water pumps typically supplied with the Chinese ( or Taiwan ) made
machines?
For christ's sake, this is the 3rd pump I am struggling with!
Seems like every one dies for the same reason: the pump head is an Aluminum casting which is only Chinadized.
First, as the guts corrode, the white shiit that AL turns into is plugging up the inside.
That would be almost OK as it can be cleaned, but when the frigging corrosion occurs on the seats and bores, they become non-functional.

Is there some other alternative out there, perhaps something like a paint sprayer pump or similar?
Else, Is there a non-Chinese garbage air-over-water pump that will last?
The air-driven pump is low cost. That is why they use them.
When we bought our driller, Is also came with that pump and a joke of a water filter.
Our use was 90% 4mm and 5mm holes. The air pump could not ever keep up.

We called EDM-Zap and bought a Ebbco setup.
It came with Clean tank, Dirty tank, 1800 PSI adjustable electric piston pump, DI resin canister with conductivity meter and valve, large filter canister. All on its own roll around cart.

We had to add the 3-Ph 208v contactor to the machine to start the high pressure pump, and a longer hose from the pump. The only thing I wished it had was a chiller.

Great setup. Still working after 15 years.

Interesting ...
Just went on to both, EDM-Zap and Ebbco's site, no mention of the HP pump rig ...

Fixed my piece of shiit Chinese pump ( again ), but I'm going to go and make a new pump head out of Stainless and put on
real check valves.
Got 3 units that were taken out of service over the years, so I should have enough bits and pieces to clobber one together.
In my case the volume is not really a problem so the air unit can absolutely keep up, it's just that the Chink construction really sucks.

It was a special order 18 years ago. It was never on their website as far as I know.
It was a OEM system they made for Methods. They were importing poppers at the time that were having the same pump issue. This was a upgrade for those machines.

Ebbco still shows it on their website.
HoleDrillerEDM2_tiny.png

Hmm...
The description does not say anything about the high pressure pump, only about the filtration system with or without a DI bottle.
But then again, Ebbco's website does leave something to be desired ....

I'm in the same predicament.
AgieCharmilles Drill-20 and I sure don't want to pay GFMS price for another crap ChiCom pump.
Neither of the systems on Ebbco's site appear to be what SeikiCorp describes.
Those sure aren't high pressure piston pumps they're sporting.

I'm in the same predicament.
AgieCharmilles Drill-20 and I sure don't want to pay GFMS price for another crap ChiCom pump.
Neither of the systems on Ebbco's site appear to be what SeikiCorp describes.
Those sure aren't high pressure piston pumps they're sporting.
They still sell the Drill-20? Awesome. That is what I put the Ebbco system on.
Oh, I see it has changed to touch-screen now.

Call EDM-Zap and get it quoted. There are more choices that what the EBBCO website shows. Just ask..

I may do that.
On a happier note I opened up the machine and found the pump is actually made in Japan.
Trying to get repair info from manufacturer now.

The function of the pump is actually wicked simple, it is the shitty ass Chinese components they use that makes them garbage.
What is yours doing ( or not doing )?

Low flow, hardly any pressure.
Have watched it steadily decline and drill times go up to the point something has to be done.
Filtration system is supplying plenty of water to the reservoir.

Is this an air driven piston pump?
If yes, then does it cycle really fast now?
If yes, then what happens when you put a solid plug in the chuck and create full back pressure? Does it still cycle back and forth?

Sorry then, I can't help you there much, except that there are quite a few reasonably priced piston pump heads readily available from the likes of Grainger even.
They are shaft ( ergo belt ) driven, and can be had for something in the $400-600 'hood.
You've obviously got the controls already ( the air driven ones are also stupid simple on/off ) so replacing with an off the shelf unit should be easy, should you not be able
to rebuild the one you've got.

Problem with all those Grainger pumps is the shaft is on the wrong side and the mounting completely different.
That can be gotten around though if it becomes necessary.
Trying to get info from the pump manufacturer in Japan.
Failing that, Cat pumps (https://www.catpumps.com/) are all but identical to the original.
Then there's Grainger.
One way or another it's gettin' fixed.

Thank you SeymourDumore & SeikiCorp

Back