What's new
What's new

EDM values?

sortafast

Aluminum
I am in the process of buying a batch of equipment from a shop, included are 2 older sinker EDM machines. One is a Charmilles Form 20 and the other is an Eleroda-10. Both appear to be complete but were taken out of commission when the owner moved his shop and were left in storage. I don't know if they work or anything but all the bits appear to be there. Any idea on what they are worth? I am gauging how much to offer for the lot and that is one piece of the pie that I lack any sort of knowledge on.

Last edited:
Hi sortafast:
To the best of my understanding, both machines are obsolescent technology.
That means nobody who runs a commercial enterprise will pay you anything but "parts donor machine" value for these, even if they are still working.
Also, you need to find a shop that has these in operation and is able to buy and store a parts machine...they will be hard to find and will likely be cheap bastards (like me) looking for a super deal in order to keep a dog running because they're too cheap to buy modern.

Your other option is to find a hobbyist who wants to put a machine in his garage.
Good luck with that...if you thought cheapass companies were cheap...hobbyists are a thousand times worse and will often expect you to support their new toy too, even if you have zero understanding of how they work.

I'm guessing you could get maybe five grand for the pair if you parted them out yourself and were patient and persistent.
Carting away the two skeletons when you've taken all the useful meat away might cost you a grand or so if you're creative.
So best case you can net 4 grand with a year or more of effort, stripping the parts, storing them, and marketing them.

You may do better offering them to an EDM rebuilder.
EDM Network in Illinois reconditions machines and may have a modest interest in them.
Be sure to call them first before you commit, and find out if that's really true or if I'm just blowing smoke.

But yeah...unless I just happened to want something in my shop to burn out broken taps or wanted to start a small molding and moldmaking operation, or were a knifemaker looking to burn logos onto his knives, I'd steer clear of them...they're dogs...even if they were once fine, state-of-the-art machines.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hi sortafast:
To the best of my understanding, both machines are obsolescent technology.
That means nobody who runs a commercial enterprise will pay you anything but "parts donor machine" value for these, even if they are still working.
Also, you need to find a shop that has these in operation and is able to buy and store a parts machine...they will be hard to find and will likely be cheap bastards (like me) looking for a super deal in order to keep a dog running because they're too cheap to buy modern.

Your other option is to find a hobbyist who wants to put a machine in his garage.
Good luck with that...if you thought cheapass companies were cheap...hobbyists are a thousand times worse and will often expect you to support their new toy too, even if you have zero understanding of how they work.

I'm guessing you could get maybe five grand for the pair if you parted them out yourself and were patient and persistent.
Carting away the two skeletons when you've taken all the useful meat away might cost you a grand or so if you're creative.
So best case you can net 4 grand with a year or more of effort, stripping the parts, storing them, and marketing them.

You may do better offering them to an EDM rebuilder.
EDM Network in Illinois reconditions machines and may have a modest interest in them.
Be sure to call them first before you commit, and find out if that's really true or if I'm just blowing smoke.

But yeah...unless I just happened to want something in my shop to burn out broken taps or wanted to start a small molding and moldmaking operation, or were a knifemaker looking to burn logos onto his knives, I'd steer clear of them...they're dogs...even if they were once fine, state-of-the-art machines.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
The deal I looking at getting on the lot more than makes up for anything I would make up for what little i would be able to sell them for. I am basically buying a full shop and these are included. I am going to sell off some of the stuff that is surplus to my needs and these EDM machines would likely be sold off as I don't have a need for them right now. I would sell them off on the cheap but I just wanted to see what a good baseline would be. Talked with a friend a bit ago and he knows someone that might be interested in them. Mainly they are "big" and will take up a bit of space that I need for my main shop operation so I would need them gone more sooner than later.

Eleroda = scrap value
Form20 = $2000

Anyone who needs that Form20 would pay that, problem is finding that person.

Good luck with your purchase.

Form 20 is a very good starter machine. We keep ours for a special job that comes in on occasion, runs forever without issues. The older Eleroda is scrap value as stated above.

I have seen that series setting on their sides at the local scrapper. Local manufacturer did not want to fool around trying to sell them. Appeared thay were unloaded with the 3 jaw claw mounted on the end of an old excavator.

There's a shop that got cleaned out up here a few years ago. The 4 or 5 Hansvedt's got thrown into the dumpster. I was given a head's up to go over and check them out before this happened but was busy. By the time I freed up a few weeks later they were gone with all the 3R mini tooling, some new bits and a functioning cnc head with control, all thrown out.. I cried a little.

Back