What's new
What's new

Electrical markers? Yes, 500 minimum. Ah, I will make my own...

rons

Diamond
Thinking about turning a simple barrel and pushing it over the wire. But what about the number stamp? Need labels 1 to 9.
How to stamp a round barrel? Or a flat sheet which bends around the wire. This would be a small piece and not easy to do.

20171107_215928_1.jpg

Why...?

Why not use shrink-tube markers? You can print what you want on them and, assuming they will spend their life in a box of some sort, last well after you are gone.

Some old school were flat brass strip. A small number stamp, then bent around the wire.

The Brady markers do lose their stick after 20 years. Even in the toolbox[personal experience]

Metal would look pretty butch

wonder if an oversized uninsulated crimp terminal would work, then you just have to engrave them

maybe a butt splice, then snip them in half

I saved off some information when somebody posted his pictures and the source for supplies. Essex-Brownell had a big pdf catalog that I downloaded.
Now 5 or 6 years later they only sell in quantities a motor shop uses. Or maybe they always did. Brady markers are in their catalog.

I did learn one thing from taking my motor leads out of the motor. The motor leads that connect to the motor windings are not soldered together. They are
twisted and then brazed. The man from Essex said that the motor leads can be soldered. Well, I would do the brazing. But a few of those motor winding pieces are short.
And then there is the protective cloth. I have one of those micro-torches. Is this the time to use it?

I use a label printer, then wrap the label around the wire. Then clear adhesive lined heat shrink tube over that. Pretty permanent. Oilproof as well.

I should have thought of that. My first idea was a brass or aluminum barrel and use a point to mark the number. Or chemical etch a number pattern and fill with black paint.

Soft sheet aluminum, with the numbers stamped on, and wrapped/crimped to the wire. Aluminum roll flashing from home desperate is dead soft 1000-series material and would be a good choice. Shear to size, make a simple fixture to get the numbers even on the parts.

I did that on my tractor, the sun turned them all black, likely ok if there is no sun though

Yeah, UV is a bitch. I've been doing it with the label printer and clear adhesive lined heat shrink for about 10 years with no issues on indoor stuff. I'd be surprised to see it turn black from sunlight though. More in line with my experience that it would yellow/cloud and get fragile/crack/crumble.

Yeah, UV is a bitch. I've been doing it with the label printer and clear adhesive lined heat shrink for about 10 years with no issues on indoor stuff. I'd be surprised to see it turn black from sunlight though. More in line with my experience that it would yellow/cloud and get fragile/crack/crumble.

I wasn't sure if it was uv or heat but thought I would through out the heads up

Back