What's new
What's new

Ellison Rant.......can't deliver on getting a new lathe up and running.

david n

Diamond
RANT ON:
So I had a new lathe hit the floor 12/12/22. Was supposed to be 12/7/22. Sold my old SL20 and the new owner picked it up on 12/7/22. It's now 1/11/23 and there's no for sure end date of when this new rig will be running. Still waiting on the conveyor???!?!!!???? WTH!!! I have been down a machine since 12/7/22. Pretty furious over here. Simple machine install.

Before I bought, quoting stage, sales guy says gotta go with an LNS conveyor cuz Hennig is not hitting deliveries. Says Ellison temporarily stopped using Hennig. Fine. LNS is fine. I order some time later. Put my $$$ down. Sales guy takes upon himself to go with the Hennig since Doosan is using them again. Okay. What ever.

Henning just shipped the conveyor 1/2/23!!. Tracking says it won't show until 1/13-1/19 from Illinois. What the??? I'm pretty PO'd. I have a MOUNTAIN of material waiting to go in this machine.

O'course Ellison's accounting girl wants some more money(20% down. 70% when it hits the floor. 10% after install) now that the machine is on my floor. Nope. They ain't gettin a dime(80%) until my net thirty is up after full install and training.

Where can I find some one further up the ladder?? Prolly won't do any good anyways. I'm just a little guy with a little lathe problem.

Then to top it off. I have had a service call into them since 12/5/22. My DNM 500 needs to be looked at...........but nothing. I keep getting the "we're sure busy.............Too few techs..............Too many snow storms....................Tons of new installs(except mine)..........The Holidays"............Too many excuses................

RANT STILL ON

Last edited:
I would love to know how the Henning conveyor is! (long term)

I am so sick of the cheap junk Turbo's! (LNS now - but I don't know if anything is different)

Maybe need to order a Mayfran if I want sumpthing that'll last?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I am so sick of the cheap junk Turbo's! (LNS now - but I don't know if anything is different)
-----------
Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Way OT here I guess but I had a cromar conveyor on the Mazak QTS and it was built like a tank. Don't know if they're sold in the US ?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
We have Mosnic conveyors with drum filters on our Yasda's and love them. The LNS Turbo on our Matsuura is dreadful.

OK, so what is the lesson here?

"Boy, in hindsight I wish I'd'a ...

A) ... maybe held my tongue a few more days ..."

B) ... would'a posted up a rant thread a month ago - if I knowed that's what it would take to git'm here!"

... just wund'rin'.....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I'd still rant............when install should have been easily wrapped up before Xmas or even New Years.............it only took 5 weeks..........same tech will be loking at my mill too...........that only took 6 weeks..................

Which new lathe did you go with? lynx, puma? Y and Sub?

And yeah, lots of things are still way behind and many companies struggling to get people/techs in every trade. I don't know if machine sales are slowing down any yet? did they have much inventory or is it a long wait for the machines ?

Well I waited for a few months from Gosiger in recent history, but I was not totally "down", and I can give grace - knowing that there are others that ARE down that need the service worse than I doo. (did)

It's not just your supplier...

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Which new lathe did you go with? lynx, puma? Y and Sub?

And yeah, lots of things are still way behind and many companies struggling to get people/techs in every trade. I don't know if machine sales are slowing down any yet? did they have much inventory or is it a long wait for the machines ?
Nah just another 2 axis Lynx...........I sent the Haas SL20 down the road. She was still makin good parts, but she was showing her age.

If I eventually end up with a Y sub machine, I'd like to go with a true dual spindle twin turret machine. It would cover the widest range of parts in the shop. The Lynx with the Y and sub wouldn't be able to do the heavier milling that some parts require. It would also run outa tools on some of the more complex parts. I passed on a low hour low priced Puma TT1800SY a few years ago. I'm still kickin myself on that one. I'm keepin' my eyes and ears out for a nice used rig.............

Reactions: SND
I'd still rant............when install should have been easily wrapped up before Xmas or even New Years.............it only took 5 weeks..........same tech will be loking at my mill too...........that only took 6 weeks..................

Everyone is in a god damn crunch. My titanium suppliers, my anodizing shop, service techs, rigging. Everyone is running at 100% of demand but 70% of their staffing, and everyone is taking a bite of the shit sandwich trying to deal with it.

The vast majority have the grace to recognize this and not pile onto the situation by throwing their vendors under the bus on a public forum because we all have had our issues and karma comes back to bite. I've heard some serious nightmare stories of companies put in all kinds of minor manufacturing crises, but everyone seems to be taking it in stride and realizing the breakdowns are up and down the chain, so we're all just doing our best and not being too hard on one another.

When I bought my DNM5700 it was onsite here in January 2017 (fully paid off now :D) got it setup and calibrated and accessories installed within about a week.

The issue for me then was that it had a air curtain for the spindle that ran non stop anytime the machine was powered on. I had a 7.5hp/60gal IR reciprocating compressor that cycled on every four and half minutes and ran for 1 minute to top off. It was driving me to distraction as I tired to learn a new machine. So loud it was exhausting. I talked to Doosan (Wingnut) and they got factory guys involved and wrote me some modification to the PMC ladder I think that would only run the air curtain while the spindle was on and for 10 seconds afterwords to cover toolchanges.

Then Ellison had a guy come out and do the software upgrade (which I think went on to be standard for all DNMs after that).Then the applications guy to train me didn't show for I think it was 2 weeks.

The whole process took like 3 months and Ellison didn't ask me to pay a dime. I had put about 40% down. They didn't even send me a invoice until I signed that document from them about the machine being fully installed and set up and that I was trained by their guy. It was actually a very pleasant surprise.

Back