What's new
What's new

Ellison Rant.......can't deliver on getting a new lathe up and running.

Nah just another 2 axis Lynx...........I sent the Haas SL20 down the road. She was still makin good parts, but she was showing her age.

If I eventually end up with a Y sub machine, I'd like to go with a true dual spindle twin turret machine. It would cover the widest range of parts in the shop. The Lynx with the Y and sub wouldn't be able to do the heavier milling that some parts require. It would also run outa tools on some of the more complex parts. I passed on a low hour low priced Puma TT1800SY a few years ago. I'm still kickin myself on that one. I'm keepin' my eyes and ears out for a nice used rig.............

Has the price jumped up much on them vs the 1st Lynx2100 on you got?
I've been debating adding a 2nd but been too chicken to check current price, if it's like everything else they must be up quite a bit eh?

Everyone is in a god damn crunch. My titanium suppliers, my anodizing shop, service techs, rigging. Everyone is running at 100% of demand but 70% of their staffing, and everyone is taking a bite of the shit sandwich trying to deal with it.

The vast majority have the grace to recognize this and not pile onto the situation by throwing their vendors under the bus on a public forum because we all have had our issues and karma comes back to bite. I've heard some serious nightmare stories of companies put in all kinds of minor manufacturing crises, but everyone seems to be taking it in stride and realizing the breakdowns are up and down the chain, so we're all just doing our best and not being too hard on one another.
Oh I get it............everyone is in a crunch.........but when they tell you lead time to get a tech out to wrench on the mill is 5-7 days and someone doesn't show until 6 weeks later...............you don't get as much grace from me.

And don't you punch the clock for a MTB now(or am I think of a different PM member??)............easy to get your feathers ruffled when someone rants a bit about a MTB vendor not delivering on due dates.......................If'n they'd be up front about all of it I could have planned accordingly..................

Has the price jumped up much on them vs the 1st Lynx2100 on you got?
I've been debating adding a 2nd but been too chicken to check current price, if it's like everything else they must be up quite a bit eh?
Ummm.........off the top of my head. The new one is up around $8k +/- a few bucks.

Reactions: SND
Copy that...

Mamma had internet tech s'posed to be out "today between X and Y'O:clock: per the voice on the phone. (India?)

Eventually she was able to git ahold of the tech directly and found that it would be a few days 'till he got there.
But as it was left, she would have been waiting for this guy all this time, and be hostile to the guy when he shows up, doo to what someone in another quadrant on the Earth had told her.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Copy that...

Mamma had internet tech s'posed to be out "today between X and Y'O:clock: per the voice on the phone. (India?)

Eventually she was able to git ahold of the tech directly and found that it would be a few days 'till he got there.
But as it was left, she would have been waiting for this guy all this time, and be hostile to the guy when he shows up, doo to what someone in another quadrant on the Earth had told her.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Givin' customers a better head's up is something business need to learn to do nowadays..........everyone seems to be behind(not just industry). We all get that. Just let folks know how far behind ya actually are............

The issue for me then was that it had a air curtain for the spindle that ran non stop anytime the machine was powered on. I had a 7.5hp/60gal IR reciprocating compressor that cycled on every four and half minutes and ran for 1 minute to top off. It was driving me to distraction as I tired to learn a new machine. So loud it was exhausting. I talked to Doosan (Wingnut) and they got factory guys involved and wrote me some modification to the PMC ladder I think that would only run the air curtain while the spindle was on and for 10 seconds afterwords to cover toolchanges.
I'm interested in how this was accomplished if you care to share. Im in the same boat and always end up hitting the e-stop to get the air curtain to stop.

I'm interested in how this was accomplished if you care to share. Im in the same boat and always end up hitting the e-stop to get the air curtain to stop.
It was almost 5 years ago but all I did was talk to Doosan's application engineer (Wingnut) and the ball was put in motion. They CC'ed me and Ellison on all the interactions to get a solution then moved it to Ellison to do the software update. Took the guy very little time and made me VERY happy. The constant compressor cycle in a small shop with hard reflective walls was literally driving me out of the shop. The actual fix was a change to the PMC ladder? I think. I don't know enough about that type of thing to say for sure. But it's somewhere in Ellison's records of how to do it and it was quick so I assume they can fix you up asap.

As to what I think was the main point of the OP was not knowing what was going on. I tell you, I once waited a year for a machine because the dealer/factory kept me in the loop on exactly where things were. I never was in the dark.

It amazes me how little effort it takes to update customers and how huge of a difference it makes to their satisfaction. Even more for me because if someone says they will be there at like 1pm - 4pm I am prepping the area at noon, making sure nothing else is going to interrupt, canceling plans to do anything in that window. When I get the 3:30 "sorry I have to cancel" call I go postal. I know I should be more chill but it pisses me off to no end. I end wasting literally half a day.

My local distributor for my okumas was late twice, and by about 6-12 months per to get them buttoned up and I’m still not convinced everything works and is there.

I planned for them to be 5-6 weeks late. Communication was abysmal as well, if I knew I could have planned.

You’re not alone, and it’s probably not entirely their fault either but reasonable estimates and updates when things go awry mean a lot

It was almost 5 years ago but all I did was talk to Doosan's application engineer (Wingnut) and the ball was put in motion. They CC'ed me and Ellison on all the interactions to get a solution then moved it to Ellison to do the software update. Took the guy very little time and made me VERY happy. The constant compressor cycle in a small shop with hard reflective walls was literally driving me out of the shop. The actual fix was a change to the PMC ladder? I think. I don't know enough about that type of thing to say for sure. But it's somewhere in Ellison's records of how to do it and it was quick so I assume they can fix you up asap.

As to what I think was the main point of the OP was not knowing what was going on. I tell you, I once waited a year for a machine because the dealer/factory kept me in the loop on exactly where things were. I never was in the dark.

It amazes me how little effort it takes to update customers and how huge of a difference it makes to their satisfaction. Even more for me because if someone says they will be there at like 1pm - 4pm I am prepping the area at noon, making sure nothing else is going to interrupt, canceling plans to do anything in that window. When I get the 3:30 "sorry I have to cancel" call I go postal. I know I should be more chill but it pisses me off to no end. I end wasting literally half a day.
I need this in my life. I can't STAND the air running while the machine is sitting idle.

Pretty nice that it's aluminum, can chew through that pretty quick.
Backlog is closer to 4 months here, all stainless/inco.
I'll see how things look once the snow is gone and decide if I add another machine. I keep feeling like this foolishness should slow down eventually but been saying that for a few years, hasn't yet...

Pretty nice that it's aluminum, can chew through that pretty quick.
Backlog is closer to 4 months here, all stainless/inco.
I'll see how things look once the snow is gone and decide if I add another machine. I keep feeling like this foolishness should slow down eventually but been saying that for a few years, hasn't yet...
Well the four week backlog is on top of the usual coupla 4-5 months I'm normally behind.....................

I need this in my life. I can't STAND the air running while the machine is sitting idle.
To all who this may concern. After asking, this turns out to be an option now. This can be added at the time of purchase and it can also be added after purchase. You will need to speak with your dealer, I have no specific details. This could also, possibly, become a standard from the factory. Not sure on that one yet but will keep my ears open. Understandably, the factory wants to see if there are any ramifications resulting from this before committing. Spindles are expensive.

Reactions: Ox

Back