What's new
What's new

Emco 342 HELP!

EMH-machining

Plastic
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum and I am hoping you can help me. I am a young machinist who is looking for some advice. I work as a cnc programmer full time and have decided to try to do some work on the side in my shop at home. I got a very good deal on an Emco 342 from my workplace after we bought out another business and decided we did not want to keep all of the machines. I also acquired a Bridgeport interact, grinder, saw, and a manual lathe. I have my electric hooked up and am using an American Rotary CNC phase converter. I am able to power the lathe on and follow the instructions for start up. However when I push the AUX on button nothing happens. I can hear the door lock contactor open and close when I open and close the door, e stop works and I can clear it out using the reset button but I am still unable to get the machine to do anything if I push the AUX on button.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try next? Emco so far has not been much help and are very vague in their email responses. I should mention that the battery backup is working and the machine has all parameters, programs, etc. From the old shop that it was in.

I should also mention that the machine has a Fanuc OT controller.

Thanks again I look forward to learning from this forum!

I am no expert but did you check phase rotation? I have no idea if the machine has hydraulics etc that could be running backwards.

When you push a button on used equipment and something doesn't work, it can be any number of reasons. To start, what is this Aux button supposed to turn on?

Anyway... Aux got me thinking about auxiliary equipment on freshly plugged in 3 phase machines.

Immediately before doing anything else, make sure your coolant and/or oil pumps are turning in the proper direction. You spindles are going to turn properly no matter which way you wired in your 3 phase. This is not true for all the Auxiliary equipment. If something is turning the wrong direction, reverse your single phase lines at the machine tool's main switch. Remember too that your single phase lines should feed the main transformer. Your manufactured leg should feed motors only.

I mention this also as a possible reason something controlled by an Aux button is not working.

I have tried switching the L1 and L2 wires and nothing changed. I verified with emco I have the correct voltage @ 395V

I have 395V incoming and I am using the -5% tap on the transformer. Per emco this was ok. In the paper work I received with the machine it stated the shop it was at had the voltage checked at 390.

Did it originally have a barfeeder on it?

I bought a Turn 325 without a bar feeder which been used with one previously, past owner didn't disable the barfeed before disconnecting so the control was looking for e-stop release from the bar feeder as well. Ended up having to put a jumper wire across the two pins in the bar feed socket that are for the e-stop to be able to get it to fire up and then disable the bar feed.

Rob,

That is a good idea. I actually remember seeing the jumper wire on the bar feeder socket when I was looking things over. It already has the jumper wire. I don't think the machine ever had a bar feeder either. The company that we got it from bought it new.

If there was a jumper wire that must have been to trick the control into thinking the e-stop on a bar feed is released, no other reason to have one as far as I can tell.

I believe M67 activates the bar feed interface and M68 disables it, that is in a Fanuc 21TB control but OT is probably the same, prior owner on mine hadn't done an M68 in MDI. Lucky when I received it I had a service tech who was able to figure it out from the wiring diagrams.

if you manually pull the contacter does the pump start? trying to remember my 465 setup (been a few years) but if it does kick on I would check the relays, re-seat them, may have got knocked around in the move. also the safety boards, re-seat the plugs.

not on but sliding it to one side would engage it. releasing it it will slide back to the off position. there should also be a breaker protecting the circuit but if that was released you would see an alarm, but you may reset the breaker just for gp.

When you turn on, I assume screen and fanuc etc are loading fine. Do you hear the way pump prime at all when holding down aux on? It's quiet, so listen carefully it should pulse.

All I hear is a click from a contactor when I turn on the switch on the side of the machine. The screen comes up fine and I can navigate to other screens. I just can't get the aux on button to turn on the hydraulics.

Back